Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike trends have officially entered the ugly era

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike trends have officially entered the ugly era

Old 07-16-18, 02:58 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
It was long term wear, Impact durability is CF's weak spot.
Only impacts that aren't where the device was designed to receive them. A CF pogo stick would last as well or better than one made of steel.

Last edited by Kontact; 07-16-18 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 03:01 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Oddly enough, I think modern bikes have been starting to look better in the last couple of years. I actually like some of the forms of modern frames. My objection is limited to the oversized and tasteless graphics that are plastered all over them. Without these, I see a lot of design possibility.

That said I don't have a modern carbon bike. My bikes all get hit with sticks and rocks fairly regularly. I don't trust composites over the long term for toughness. Perhaps this is unreasonable, but I've not yet been convinced. Also, these carbon bikes are quite expensive for something that is - in many cases - designed to last 3 seasons. I've looked a bit at the Calfee frames, mostly since they have a really long warranty. I'd guess they could be expected to hold up. Not at all cheap. Not sure I can justify that much $$ if realistically I'd only save a pound and a half or so over modern steel.
Old 07-16-18, 03:04 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Oddly enough, I think modern bikes have been starting to look better in the last couple of years. I actually like some of the forms of modern frames. My objection is limited to the oversized and tasteless graphics that are plastered all over them. Without these, I see a lot of design possibility.

That said I don't have a modern carbon bike. My bikes all get hit with sticks and rocks fairly regularly. I don't trust composites over the long term for toughness. Perhaps this is unreasonable, but I've not yet been convinced. Also, these carbon bikes are quite expensive for something that is - in many cases - designed to last 3 seasons. I've looked a bit at the Calfee frames, mostly since they have a really long warranty. I'd guess they could be expected to hold up. Not at all cheap. Not sure I can justify that much $$ if realistically I'd only save a pound and a half or so over modern steel.
I found a used Luna for cheap. After I sold the Force group it came with I only had $500 in the frameset.
Old 07-16-18, 03:43 PM
evchon 

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CL SF 8.0, 1990s Merckx Strada, Bottecchia Professional, Tomii Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm, by no means, anywhere near people's experience here, but I've owned a few classic bikes (Motobecane, Trek, Miyata, Merckx) and a few modern ones (Hybrid, Alu, and Crabon) and, honestly, I've loved riding them all. I've also loved how they all looked. My current stable consists of a classic (Merckx Strada), a retro-mod (Bottecchia + new Campy), a custom steel-frame bike (by Nao Tomii in Austin, TX), and a Crabon Cervelo R2 with Di2 Ultegra. I ride all of them and love them for different reasons. I'm also proud to show them all off as I think they're all gorgeous machines.

That being said, I'm here because I love those classic bikes just a bit more than the modern ones