Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When approaching a red light, do you...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When approaching a red light, do you...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 09:01 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Slowing down to any speed above walking in order to make the light without actually stopping, will be faster than speeding up to the intersection and stopping abruptly. Nothing consumes more time than accelerating from a standstill.
Not true. Take for example a 30 seconds red light and going 35 km/h. To gradually (and linearly to simplify the maths) slow down to 5 km/h at the turn of the green light, then 5 seconds to go back to your 35 km/h from the 5 km/h, your average speed would be 20 km/h. If on the other hand you stay at 35 km/h until the last 5 seconds then stop (moving speed also stops counting) then go from 0 km/h to 35 km/h in 7 seconds, your average moving speed would be 29,3 km/h.
Old 09-20-18, 09:50 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I stop pedaling and get ready to either stop or keep going. The situation is dynamic so you get ready to adjust.
The most logical reply.

/end thread

This is quite important on a singlespeed where momentum is key.
Old 09-20-18, 09:53 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by SylvainG
Not true. Take for example a 30 seconds red light and going 35 km/h. To gradually (and linearly to simplify the maths) slow down to 5 km/h at the turn of the green light, then 5 seconds to go back to your 35 km/h from the 5 km/h, your average speed would be 20 km/h. If on the other hand you stay at 35 km/h until the last 5 seconds then stop (moving speed also stops counting) then go from 0 km/h to 35 km/h in 7 seconds, your average moving speed would be 29,3 km/h.
Full stops and starts require substantially greater effort, great for interval training, not so great for relaxed commuting or long distance riding.

Last edited by SHBR; 09-20-18 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 03:59 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SHBR
Full stops and starts require substantially greater effort....
Yup. Stopping is more work than a lot of people acknowledge. So is overcoming complete inertia, especially when working against gravity. Quite often, the first few meters from a stop at an intersection are up a ramp to the crown of the road being crossed - another thing a lot of people seem to forget. I'm always shaking my head at the folks who won't switch to a lower gear before crossing a highway from a stop. Maybe 5% of the guys who stay in a relatively high gear can and will crank up the torque sufficiently, but all the others are always creeping across, struggling and all out of the saddle just to get started. Are they trying to conserve their shift cables or something?
Old 09-21-18, 05:11 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by kbarch
Are they trying to conserve their shift cables or something?
No shifting on a SS/FG. One learns quite quickly to anticipate and reduce full stops as much as possible, and when they do happen, restart as gently as possible.

Gears have made me lazy, I use my geared bikes for more relaxed riding.
Old 09-21-18, 06:42 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Full stops and starts require substantially greater effort, great for interval training, not so great for relaxed commuting or long distance riding.
Except that in the example above, it's just 5 km/h difference between a full stop and the rolling cross on the green light. That 5 km/h is reached in a few pedal strokes. Also, 25 seconds rest isn't to be frown about. And to the post after yours, indeed, I switched gear and also replaced my 52 teeth chainring for a 46 teeth (I stop and go more often than go at 50+ km/h during my commute so a 46 is better for me than a 52) to have better torque when starting in my 24 teeth cog without having to change chainring. Last time I fell clipped was actually because I concentrated on a car parked near the curb and forgot to change gear. When I pushed on the pedal to start, bike fell instead of moving forward
Old 09-24-18, 08:05 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
you interpreted it that way, whil noisebeam and I interpreted it as farther off.

In this area, we can usually see stoplights a half mile away.
It doesn't matter where one rides. If the red light is in the distance I keep pedaling or maintaining speed until I can assess the intersection.

Per the OP: "[The red light in the distance] could have just changed or it could be changing to green any moment. What do you do? "
The only practical answer is pedal until one can get more info - whether it be a change in light or being able to see x-walk signals or change in cross traffic, etc. This will happen much closer than 1/2 or 1/4 mile away.
Old 09-24-18, 09:13 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I stop pedaling and get ready to either stop or keep going. The situation is dynamic so you get ready to adjust.
Same thing here as well. You don't know how things will go, no point in losing energy by breaking, no point in continuing to pedal because you might need to break and lose it as well.
Plus it's the best for being able to look around and be aware of traffic.

While I do watch traffic signals I first watch cars. "The light was green but I got hit by a car" is a terrible outcome for me, much worse than "I accidentally went through a red light but there were no cars" or "I stopped but turns out I didn't need to".
Old 09-24-18, 09:40 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Same thing here as well. You don't know how things will go, no point in losing energy by breaking, no point in continuing to pedal because you might need to break and lose it as well.
Plus it's the best for being able to look around and be aware of traffic.
This ^^^ This is my approach. I don't see the point in losing energy by braking and no point in continuing to peddle. So I've just taken to soft peddling as a way of trying to make the best of the situation. Of course if I were riding in a group, that's whole other ball of wax.
Old 09-24-18, 07:07 PM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Look for any cute honeys on the sidewalk

Yes? -> Brake and downshift in one swift motion, unclip and assertively set my foot down on the pavement as my wheels simultaneously roll to a stop. Set my forearms on the tops of my bars and give them the Lance glance

No? -> ???
Old 09-24-18, 07:54 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One point to (soft) PEDALING when approaching a signaled intersection is to keep track of what gear one is in, and to adjust as appropriate to set up for the re-acceleration.