Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

$1000-$2000 Range

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

$1000-$2000 Range

Old 08-29-19, 08:43 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Yep - not mine either... They went with glossy colors this year. I almost bought that one last week, but the silver/gray color was making me hesitating. FYI, it's a little darker in real than on the pictures.

It looks more like this:

The rim-brake version is black (gloss) I believe.

I know I know, you shouldn't buy a bike based on its color...but if it does really bother you, you'll end up buying another one anyways lol

Last edited by eduskator; 08-29-19 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 10:56 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by letmeknow
Yeah, where Im at I'm a little scared of canyon as I hear they run a little big. And I can't try it before I buy it + large shipping fees etc. I just love the bikes and I feel like they provide great value.

The Caad13 looks nice and is definitely hot in aluminum bikes, but not sure its my style.

I think the price range Im really in is $1500-$2500. If its over 2K Id like Ultegra components on an Aluminum bike.

Really up for some suggestions so please keep them coming. My local dealers like the Cannondales and Specialized. I guess I like the Tarmac sport, but I'm climbing in price and I don't wanna spend $2500 without financing it... which I can't do straight from them. Although, then I'm missing out on free basic maintenance. Thinking about buying online and building/maintaining myself.

The specs I'd like are at least 105 groupset, some cool colors, would love an AERO frame or a really lightweight bike, will probably replace the wheels so don't care, I don't think I even need disc brakes, and Im not crazy about Carbon at this price point, but Carbon/Aluminum doesn't matter for me as I won't be riding this bike in the city and only in the valley in New York. From what I understand 105 to Ultegra isn't the craziest jump, but please advise.

Ribble bikes look cool because you can customize, but I don't know anything about them.
Not crazy about Trek except the Madone.
Really like Bianchi.
I have a Specialized Sirrus SL.
Cannondale is alright.
BMC is alright.
Canyon is cool.
Giant could be cool too.

I don't know what I'm forgetting off the top of my head, but Please if you're out there just recommend deals/purchasing methods/any thoughts because I won't be buying for a month or two. Going to test ride some bikes this weekend.

Trying to find last years bikes for a cheaper price for sure.
You are kind of wavering all over the map now.
$2500 will get you Carbon/disc/105. A very fine combo.
Alum/Ultegra? I didn't find anyone offering that when I was looking.
Aluminum frame ok but you will replace the wheels? Why?
You said no Aero, then you said Aero...

Hard to help you with such a moving target.

One thing, IMO financing a bike is a bad idea. If you can't afford it, lower your price target or save more money. You still have to buy pedals, shoes, etc. I would do 12 months same as cash ONLY if you are disciplined enough to pay it off in 12 months.

As far as which brand is better? They really are all using the same OEM components. It really boils down to the service and support you can get from the shop you buy from.

SUGGESTION: Pick a style (race, endurance, aero....) pick your level of componentry (ex: carbon/disc/105) then figure out which models from each brand meets that target. Make a short list. Cannondale and Specialized tend to be a bit pricier but their 105 models tend to be mostly 105, whereas the Trek/Giant/Scott 105 models save money by substituting some lesser components.

So lets say you want an endurance/carbon/disc/105 bike. For cannondale, that would be the Synapse Carbon Disc 105. 2019 model MSRP is $2625.
Type "Cannondale carbon disc 105" into your favorite search engine.
https://www.rei.com/product/145815/c...-105-bike-2019
there ya go. $2100

Similar bike is the Giant Defy Advanced 2
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-2
$1680 BOOM!

Don't come back here without a pic of your new bike.

Hope this helps.
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 08-29-19, 01:34 PM
letmeknow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
you are kind of wavering all over the map now.
$2500 will get you carbon/disc/105. A very fine combo.
Alum/ultegra? I didn't find anyone offering that when i was looking.
Aluminum frame ok but you will replace the wheels? Why?
You said no aero, then you said aero...

Hard to help you with such a moving target.

One thing, imo financing a bike is a bad idea. If you can't afford it, lower your price target or save more money. You still have to buy pedals, shoes, etc. I would do 12 months same as cash only if you are disciplined enough to pay it off in 12 months.

As far as which brand is better? They really are all using the same oem components. It really boils down to the service and support you can get from the shop you buy from.

Suggestion: Pick a style (race, endurance, aero....) pick your level of componentry (ex: Carbon/disc/105) then figure out which models from each brand meets that target. Make a short list. Cannondale and specialized tend to be a bit pricier but their 105 models tend to be mostly 105, whereas the trek/giant/scott 105 models save money by substituting some lesser components.

So lets say you want an endurance/carbon/disc/105 bike. For cannondale, that would be the synapse carbon disc 105. 2019 model msrp is $2625.
Type "cannondale carbon disc 105" into your favorite search engine.
https://www.rei.com/product/145815/c...-105-bike-2019
there ya go. $2100

similar bike is the giant defy advanced 2
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-2
$1680 boom!

Don't come back here without a pic of your new bike.

Hope this helps.
🤫.
Old 08-29-19, 01:39 PM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Yep - not mine either... They went with glossy colors this year. I almost bought that one last week, but the silver/gray color was making me hesitating. FYI, it's a little darker in real than on the pictures.

It looks more like this:

The rim-brake version is black (gloss) I believe.

I know I know, you shouldn't buy a bike based on its color...but if it does really bother you, you'll end up buying another one anyways lol

I actually like the all black look with tricked out wheels kind of like the S works Tarmacs. So thanks for the recommendation, will definitely get back to you. And I disagree! I think colors are a big part of your purchase, if you're purchasing something at that price point you should LOVE it. Performance isn't everything!
Old 08-29-19, 03:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
And I can't try it before I buy it.
Ocoee Bikes is owned by Litespeed.

https://ocoeebikes.com

I didn't look at their lineup but know that they have a 30 day try and return policy on all their bikes.

-Tim-
Old 08-29-19, 03:23 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Picked up my Raleigh Revenio 2.0 July 2014 for $999.99... but in Jan 2015 I got a smoking deal on a brand new, never been ridden 2013 Orbea Orca ($1700.00 out the door).

That said you can get many great bikes for your price point from Raleigh, Giant, Bianchi, and even some older year models that are still in stock from other manufacturers.

Considerations I would make now are how many gears on the rear cassette (11 speed is very nice for smoothing out the shifting even if you don't get a bigger gear at one end or a smaller gear at the other end), but I could settle for a 10 speed cassette. I also would consider nothing less than a 105 groupset. Also I am a super clyde so wheels are very important as if they aren't built sturdy enough I will kill them (breaking spokes, making wheels out of true) just by riding them gently. As to wheels spoke count isn't what I look for as I have ridden good wheels with a 24 spoke count front and rear with no issue, and wheels with a 28 spoke count that the rear wheel wouldn't stay true.

Pick the bike you want to ride.
Old 08-29-19, 03:26 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I'd personally go CAAD13 disc 105, or if you want to stick with rim brake spec allez sprint or CAAD 13 rim 105
Old 08-30-19, 06:36 AM
Aonex

Bikes: Topstone Lefty, Defy, FR5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're in NY there's a bike shop across the river in Piermont called surprisingly enough, Piermont Bikes. They've got some good deals on 2018 Focus and Felt bikes. I believe I saw a carbon Ultegra Focus Izalco in your price range. But there are other models. You can check out what they got on Ebay.
Old 08-30-19, 09:02 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Yeah, where Im at I'm a little scared of canyon as I hear they run a little big. And I can't try it before I buy it + large shipping fees etc. I just love the bikes and I feel like they provide great value.

The Caad13 looks nice and is definitely hot in aluminum bikes, but not sure its my style.

I think the price range Im really in is $1500-$2500. If its over 2K Id like Ultegra components on an Aluminum bike.

The specs I'd like are at least 105 groupset, some cool colors, would love an AERO frame or a really lightweight bike, will probably replace the wheels so don't care,

Ribble bikes look cool because you can customize, but I don't know anything about them.
I'd look at Ribble some more.. there are reviews out there on the interwebz.
If you ever do get one.. you may want to ensure they can put the front/rear shifters on the correct side of your bars and not backwards like they do in the UK.
The custom color option gets you to spec a color you're happy with.. and you could add customization thru the bikebuilder option; otherwise the stock bike leaves you a lot of leftover $ from your $2500 top end to do some of your own swapouts.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribbl...le/build/#Bike
Old 08-30-19, 02:13 PM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing, IMO financing a bike is a bad idea. If you can't afford it, lower your price target or save more money. You still have to buy pedals, shoes, etc. I would do 12 months same as cash ONLY if you are disciplined enough to pay it off in 12 months.
Also, just FYI for future thread explorers. They call it financing, but in this case its 0% APR from Canyon... so its really just a payment plan. Therefore its the same price and its financially beneficial to do this. Since you can use the money ($2500) in an investment account (Obviously a bigger one) and make some money to pay for the bike instead of taking a huge hit.
Old 08-30-19, 02:14 PM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If you ever do get one.. you may want to ensure they can put the front/rear shifters on the correct side of your bars and not backwards like they do in the UK.
The custom color option gets you to spec a color you're happy with.. and you could add customization thru the bikebuilder option; otherwise the stock bike leaves you a lot of leftover $ from your $2500 top end to do some of your own swapouts.

Ribble is interesting. Im taking a deeper look. The Canyon is pulling me though idk have to compare.
Old 08-30-19, 02:15 PM
letmeknow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aonex
If you're in NY there's a bike shop across the river in Piermont called surprisingly enough, Piermont Bikes. They've got some good deals on 2018 Focus and Felt bikes. I believe I saw a carbon Ultegra Focus Izalco in your price range. But there are other models. You can check out what they got on Ebay.
Wow, so I left for the Hudson valley this weekend.. Its on my way home! Ill definitely take a look when I return, hoping theyre open.
Old 08-30-19, 02:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Wow, so I left for the Hudson valley this weekend.. Its on my way home! Ill definitely take a look when I return, hoping theyre open.
You can get an idea of what they have from their ebay store as well. I was looking a while back thru their Focus framesets

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn...focus&_sacat=0
Old 08-30-19, 03:08 PM
SundayNiagara

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check your local Trek store for good pricing on 2019 Emonda SL 5 & 6. My local store has the SL 5, with full 105 for $1750.
Old 08-31-19, 10:06 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

I can report, that’s not an issue. Mine came with brakes on the correct ends without having to tell them.
Old 08-31-19, 10:10 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
Check your local Trek store for good pricing on 2019 Emonda SL 5 & 6. My local store has the SL 5, with full 105 for $1750.
This. The one I visited had the same. SL6, which I believe is full Ultegra, apart from the brakes (which is the same for SL5 IIRC), was $2150.

on that vein, I wonder how Bontrager direct mount brakes compare to the shimano counterparts, both 105 and Ultegra.
Old 08-31-19, 10:58 AM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
They are open 7 days a week also have a great deal going on for labor day weekend 50 percent off on cannondales . You can get a really nice Evo six dura ace for 2500 more bike than most will ever need and they have great service if any problems arise in the future. Been buying from them for years and never a problem with them at all
Old 08-31-19, 02:38 PM
Froomewannabe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
The 2020 Trek Emonda SL 5 is $2100 and can probably be had for under $2k. Fully 105-equipped.
I've got a 2018 Emonda SL5. Really enjoy it. Found it on Ebay for around $1,300 w/pedals and saddle bag kit, which was really nice since I was fairly new to cycling. Huge upgrade to my 72 Schwinn World Class that I had got at a yard sale for $5. Had 5x more money in my tires that the bike:-)

Did 75 miles on the Emonda this morning, 3,200 for the year. Definitely get something you enjoy to ride.
Likes For Froomewannabe:
Old 09-06-19, 02:47 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Also, just FYI for future thread explorers. They call it financing, but in this case its 0% APR from Canyon... so its really just a payment plan. Therefore its the same price and its financially beneficial to do this...
Just understand that it _IS_ a financing contract and the 0% rate requires payoff within a defined period of time otherwise it will revert to the default rate and you will get socked with all the interest back dated to the beginning of the term.
Old 09-06-19, 03:38 PM
SundayNiagara

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just understand that it _IS_ a financing contract and the 0% rate requires payoff within a defined period of time otherwise it will revert to the default rate and you will get socked with all the interest back dated to the beginning of the term.
I bought my Trek Emonda SL 5 on the 1 year interest free deal. Paid it off within the prescribed time period and haven't used my Trek card since.
Old 09-09-19, 01:17 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
OP - I'm curious to know if you ended up buying a bike and if so, which one?

As for the financing stuff, 0% is definitively worth it, even if it's only short term. If you however have bad habits when it comes to repaying debts, interest will accumulate pretty quickly. It's a double sided blade.

Last edited by eduskator; 09-09-19 at 01:21 PM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 09-09-19, 01:54 PM
SundayNiagara

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
OP - I'm curious to know if you ended up buying a bike and if so, which one?

As for the financing stuff, 0% is definitively worth it, even if it's only short term. If you however have bad habits when it comes to repaying debts, interest will accumulate pretty quickly. It's a double sided blade.
Yup, ya gotta watch it closely.