Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Chain Recommendations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-19, 04:02 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts

Hi, gang. It is time for a new chain on my 2018 BMC SLR02 with 105-5800. The current chain is a 105 FC-5800 chain on an 11/28, 50/34, 172.5 setup. Quite happy with how the chain has performed, though I am certainly no sort of bike guru--I just ride a lot. I don't race, I do put up quite a few miles (7200ish for 2019). Shimano is of course out now with their 105 R7000 stuff. Wondering if I should go with that, or look at Ultegra or the Dura Ace option. I do quite a bit of climbing--it is quite hilly/mountainous here in Western Oregon. Conditions here usually later October through and into May are extremely wet and grimy. It can literally destroy a bike, if you don't take care. I clean the drivetrain farily well after every ride and very thoroughly once a week without fail and keep it generously lubed, so I do think I am basically doing my part. It is not making any noise--it is utterly silent, but it is time, based on miles.

Anyhow, would appreciate recommendations on what my next chain should be. Many thanks for taking a minute to help me out.
Old 12-21-19, 04:19 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
All you wanted to know about chain choice, and more:

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-...ciency-tested/
Likes For blazin:
Old 12-21-19, 04:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22575 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Get another 5800 is my advice. Or R7000 is fine too. Honestly, any 11s chain is ok. See what’s on sale?
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-21-19, 04:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
. It is not making any noise--it is utterly silent, but it is time, based on miles.
You need to choose a method to measure chain wear and replace based on that. Mileage is not a good way. If you have waited too long, you may need a cassette as well.
Old 12-21-19, 06:23 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Wipperman Connex 11SX is going to be your longest lasting choice due to minimal corrosion (it's stainless steel). I run their 8SX and change out chains a lot less often than I used to with SRAM PC870.
And here's some data to back that up:
https://www.connexchain.com/fileadmi...ments-2018.pdf
Likes For randallr:
Old 12-22-19, 05:11 AM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I recently went 8500 miles on the (Ultegra) chain that came with my (Ultegra groupset) bike when it was new (two and a half years ago)... the LBS said it still had miles left on it, could have likely gone another 1000 or more.

If I have any secret or advice about how I got some much usage out of it, it is that I keep my drivetrain pretty much immaculate. Clean my chain frequently (maybe every 700 miles or so; more, depending upon how much grime it begins to collect); keep the cassette and derailleur pulleys clean as well; wipe the chain every other ride or so by running four or five revolutions of the crankarms while holding the chain with an absorbent cloth.

Use quality chain lube - I've been using T-9 for years... developed by Boeing, who seem to know quite a lot about metal moving parts.

I think you would be fine with another 105 chain.
Likes For travelerman:
Old 12-22-19, 08:06 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
Wipperman Connex 11SX is going to be your longest lasting choice due to minimal corrosion (it's stainless steel). I run their 8SX and change out chains a lot less often than I used to with SRAM PC870.
No data on this one, but shimano seem convinced its very durable:

"Durability improved by 50% or more (vs. CN-HG701-11)"

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-E8000-11.html
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 12-22-19, 08:53 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I would be surprised if you don't have new-chain skip on a few of your most used sprockets after that many miles on one chain. Some consider 105 level parts to be throw aways that are used once and tossed, but if you're using pricey 12 speed parts, it's wise to learn how to measure chain wear and replace the chain before it trashes the cassette. Even better, alternate the use of several chains and the cassette will last for the life of all chains in the rotation.

Some people think that their chains shift poorly after as little as 2000 miles. I've never experienced that myself. I once used a campy 10 chain for 6000 miles, lubricating it very frequently and cleaning it periodically. It showed very little elongation after that much use, but the rollers were extremely worn and the side clearances twice that of a new chain. I got new-chain skip on my pricey campy record cassette. I now practice multiple chain rotation to eliminate new-chain skip.

Tossing chains prematurely is the more common method of increasing cassette life, but if you toss 4-5 chains, you'll still eventually get new-chain skip.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-22-19, 02:14 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
That's what I thought too but a couple of weeks ago I got caught out in the rain and had to ride 10 miles home, I didn't immediately clean the chain and when I came out after a week there was rust marks on the chain. Squirting Rock and Roll onto the chain and wiping it off it all disappeared but where did it come from?
Old 12-22-19, 04:06 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If there's rust, then the chain is not 100% stainless, or at least not an alloy that resists corrosion. Not all stainless steel alloys are corrosion resistant.
Old 12-22-19, 04:32 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
All things considered, I'd go Dura-Ace. The chain is one part that's going to have more durability than Ultegra or lesser.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 12-22-19, 04:36 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You need to choose a method to measure chain wear and replace based on that. Mileage is not a good way. If you have waited too long, you may need a cassette as well.
Thanks. The cassette looks pretty good to me. The teeth look pretty well-formed and intact, but again, I'm just a guy who rides and no kind of mechanic. How do I tell if I need a new cassette, assuming shifting is no problem?
Old 12-22-19, 05:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
If shifting is no problem your cassette is OK. See Dave's post #8 , new chain will skip on too worn cassette.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-22-19, 05:58 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by blazin

Great article, thanks. Guess on that one, I may be headed toward Dura Ace--but I still have more reading to do.
Old 12-22-19, 05:59 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by travelerman
I recently went 8500 miles on the (Ultegra) chain that came with my (Ultegra groupset) bike when it was new (two and a half years ago)... the LBS said it still had miles left on it, could have likely gone another 1000 or more.

If I have any secret or advice about how I got some much usage out of it, it is that I keep my drivetrain pretty much immaculate. Clean my chain frequently (maybe every 700 miles or so; more, depending upon how much grime it begins to collect); keep the cassette and derailleur pulleys clean as well; wipe the chain every other ride or so by running four or five revolutions of the crankarms while holding the chain with an absorbent cloth.

Use quality chain lube - I've been using T-9 for years... developed by Boeing, who seem to know quite a lot about metal moving parts.

I think you would be fine with another 105 chain.
I use Mucoff Hydrodynamic. It leads to a silent ride, but I am no expert and don't really know if it is good or just marketing.
Old 12-22-19, 06:02 PM
bpcyclist

Thanks for the tip--had not actually heard of Connex before. I'll look into it.
Old 12-23-19, 08:53 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
The connex link that holds it together can get light surface rust that cleans off easily, as you describe.
Old 12-31-19, 02:17 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Great article, thanks. Guess on that one, I may be headed toward Dura Ace--but I still have more reading to do.
I use Mucoff Hydrodynamic. It leads to a silent ride, but I am no expert and don't really know if it is good or just marketing.
The same source of testing that the chain article referenced, has lubricant testing as well.. TL/DR, seemingly the Mucoff Hydro is 'just marketing'
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MucOff.pdf (2.84 MB, 12 views)
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-31-19, 03:30 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I would second DA chain. I've had really good luck with the CN-HG901 with the SIL-TEC surface treatment. Really smooth running & shifting, holds wax well and often can find them priced equal to Ultegra.
Old 12-31-19, 07:36 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
I would second DA chain. I've had really good luck with the CN-HG901 with the SIL-TEC surface treatment. Really smooth running & shifting, holds wax well and often can find them priced equal to Ultegra.
Thanks, yeah, looks like right now you can get one for basically the same price as the Ultegra.
Old 01-01-20, 05:42 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
If there's rust, then the chain is not 100% stainless, or at least not an alloy that resists corrosion. Not all stainless steel alloys are corrosion resistant.
Any stainless steel alloy will rust if you try hard enough.
Old 01-01-20, 08:23 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by blazin

I came across this a while ago. Its quite a read. Anyone running YBN chains, which test quite well according to the article? I may have to give them a try.

I have used SRAM, Shimano, and KMC. Not a fan of KMC but the others are interchangeable as far as I am concerned so I just get whatever is on sale.
Old 01-01-20, 09:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
I came across this a while ago. Its quite a read. Anyone running YBN chains, which test quite well according to the article? I may have to give them a try.

I have used SRAM, Shimano, and KMC. Not a fan of KMC but the others are interchangeable as far as I am concerned so I just get whatever is on sale.
It is an interesting read. To see a lower cost of ownership using campy record vs KMC* is enlightening. Wish they could add the Potenza 11s chain to the testing.
*Not sure why they didn't include the base KMC 11s chain (I think just called the X11 now) in testing?

Also of interest, and at least in my mind an unexpected finding, is that the the higher the speeds, the chains have gotten progressively more durable/longevity. Seems counterintuitive.

Old 01-01-20, 09:00 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Connex hands down.
Old 01-02-20, 12:16 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by DOS

Yeah, read that. Had not heard of YBN before. Here is one.https://www.amazon.com/YBN-Speed-Cha...g-goods&sr=1-3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.