Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Special air valve head— Dunlop

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20, 10:45 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts

Most basic pumps here in China come with this adaptor for Dunlop valve. I have never seen this before in the States. I dont have any Dunlop valve tubes, but
I am tempted to buy a set of tube with Dunlop valve just to try out this adaptor.
It looks very easy to use.
My bike use 26x1-3/8, so it is low pressure.

My petpeeve is the Schrader’s pita in dealing with difficulty of putting/removing the valve head. So this adaptor might just reduce alot of aggravation.

Any use this kind of adaptor before? How good does it work?

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-14-20 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 03:23 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Don‘t know about that adaptor, but dunlop valves work perfectly with presta adaptors.
Old 03-14-20, 05:52 AM
mtb_addict

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-14-20 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 08:10 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Where I live Dunlop is common as well as preta. Both usually works in the same pump head without an adapter. Dunlop is as easy to pump as presta but doesnt have the annoying valve stem that bends.
Old 03-14-20, 06:05 PM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Where I live Dunlop is common as well as preta. Both usually works in the same pump head without an adapter. Dunlop is as easy to pump as presta but doesnt have the annoying valve stem that bends.
without an adaptor, it works only marginal, to use a Presta head on a Dunlop valve. There is not enough surface on a Dunlop valve for the Presta head to grab. On a cheap pump, this means leakage. On a quality pump, this works okay for low pressure tires, but...

Tthe biggestproblem is that the thread on the Dunlop valve is very course. So it quickly wears out the rubber in the Presta head.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-14-20 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 01:16 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
without an adaptor, it works only marginal, to use a Presta head on a Dunlop valve. There is not enough surface on a Dunlop valve for the Presta head to grab. On a cheap pump, this means leakage. On a quality pump, this works okay for low pressure tires, but...

Tthe biggestproblem is that the thread on the Dunlop valve is very course. So it quickly wears out the rubber in the Presta head.
Why even ask if all of a sudden you are the expert? :-)

For reference ive been using dunlop and presta for as long as I can remember and every pump i ever owned, track or hand, works or worked just fine with both. I do own a few presta to dunlop adapters, that i never use. The benefit is they protect the valve stem from bending, which is useful with a hand pump, but the down side is they tend to leak.

A useful adapter for you kit, is a presta to schrader adapter, enabling you to pump your presta vale bike at a gas station.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 03-15-20, 02:46 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Why even ask if all of a sudden you are the expert? :-)

For reference ive been using dunlop and presta for as long as I can remember and every pump i ever owned, track or hand, works or worked just fine with both. I do own a few presta to dunlop adapters, that i never use. The benefit is they protect the valve stem from bending, which is useful with a hand pump, but the down side is they tend to leak.

A useful adapter for you kit, is a presta to schrader adapter, enabling you to pump your presta vale bike at a gas station.
I think I used the term “adaptor” confusingly in previous, so cause confusion and need to clarify.

I think there are two different types of “adaptors.”
  1. the screw-on-to-valve type....this is type you commonly find in LBS... you screw the adaptor onto the Dunlop valve...I haved used this type of adaptor, and it works good. But i dont like the looks ...real ugly. So I am familiar with this type and not interested in it.
  2. the attached-to-the-head type...this type of “adaptor” is the one I posted the picture above in post 1. It has a spring clamp. I have never seen this kind before until now. So, this the the adaptor I dont know much about, and want to know more.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-15-20 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 05:11 PM
TireLever-07

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello MTB_Addict. Once, Raleigh owned Dunlap. They were on the 3 Speed Sports style of bikes. Were never what, we'd call today a high pressure tire. Was like when Schwinn build their own size wheels. Often on Stingrays etc & the Electro-Forged frames. Built in Chicago. The S Tires they built those too. Any long in business might help you find anything still around for Dunlap valves. cheers,,