Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ramifications of riding a bike that is too small?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 02:51 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts

What I have is an old Peugeot that is about a 54 or 52 cfm bike and I should probably be on 58 or even 60cm bike at six feet tall. I only got the thing last spring, free from a friend who was out hunting disgarded bikes for me. Well, I put a lot of time and a little bit of money (not much really) into fixing it up and getting it road worthy. I can;t bring myself to sell it. My question is this: what are the (negative) ramifications of riding a bike with (1970's) race geometry that is two sizes too small? It it going to be "twitchier" than it should be or harder to control than a "normal" sized bike? Am I in any physical danger from any kind of a strain or muscle pull or any thing from being in a more compact riding position than the designer intended? Will I still be able to have fun?

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 12-30-09, 04:33 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I ride a bike that is too small-occasionally. You can raise the saddle and push it as far back as you can- you can buy a longer bar stem and hopefully get one with more rise aswell. And you can get it so that it is almost comfortable to ride- but you will never get the best out of it.

If you can get it to semi-fit, then give it a go. But keep your eye open for a larger bike that does fit.

Only problem on the body that I can see is back ache and numb hands. If you don't get these- then you have adapted the bike to fit.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-30-09, 05:08 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly. I developed quite bad upper back pain and some off/on finger numbness when riding a too small bike too much. Hadn't happened before that bike nor has it happened since I got rid of it. It's probably ok as long as it's used only for short jaunts, but will be uncomfortable for longer rides.
Old 12-30-09, 05:13 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming you can get the saddle in correct position in relation to the BB, the crank arms are the right length, and you can get a long enough stem to put the hoods in the right spot, it should be fine.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 12-30-09, 06:21 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Riding a bike that is too small is sure to result in ED, unless you would happen to be a woman.
Old 12-30-09, 06:55 PM
ScottNotBombs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get horrible knee pain, to the point that I can't walk up or down stairs, if I ride a 62 cm bike without getting a longer seatpost
Old 12-30-09, 07:08 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottNotBombs
I get horrible knee pain, to the point that I can't walk up or down stairs, if I ride a 62 cm bike without getting a longer seatpost
That could happen, too.
Old 12-30-09, 08:05 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
A good way to make sure you won't like cycling is to keep riding a bike that is way too small. Sell it, trade it or give it to a friend who it fits. Then get yourself something that fits you. You'll probably have to stop thinking 'free', to get a good fit, but when was the last time big boys toys were cheap. bk
Old 12-30-09, 08:48 PM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
A good way to make sure you won't like cycling is to keep riding a bike that is way too small. Sell it, trade it or give it to a friend who it fits. Then get yourself something that fits you. You'll probably have to stop thinking 'free', to get a good fit, but when was the last time big boys toys were cheap. bk
Hum. I have several bikes that I ride that fit me well. I have a Raleigh Marathon for a road bike. As far as spending money goes, I would like to wait untill after a good chunk of the season is gone to see how my cycling tastes are going to shake out. I started last year road riding (on a very entry level MTB) and wound up all but abandoning the road for the trails (on that same bike) by the end of the season. As long as I keep up with the riding I'll treat myself to a "new" bike later, but only one and geared towrds the type of riding that I wind up enjoying. I'm just attached to that Peugeot and if I can tweek it a little to make it fit me then that will be fine for the time being. My primary concern was that, being a race bike, the geometry would be "right on the edge" as it was and that me peddling my 200+ pounds around on it centered too far forward or too high or whatever could cause the bike to mishandle or, worse, for something to snap. I rode it around fairly successfully for a couple hundred miles last year so I guess it won't necessarily suck that badly.

2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 12-31-09, 10:23 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here is a pic of a bike that is too small for me--According to everyone that sees it. It isn't and the only reason I Don't ride it often is that it is no where near the quality or ride of my good bikes. Pic of one attached too. Both fit me and that "Too Small" bike lasted me my first year of riding and got me up a Mountain. Still got it and it does have it's uses still.

B3.jpg

B2.jpg

Spike Milligan
Old 12-31-09, 03:36 PM
2005trek1200
BALM Co.

Bikes: 2010 Aerocat rR350, 2010 Aerocat R750, 2014 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Bianchi Trofeo, 2013 Trek Ion Pro CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
better a bike too small than large, i believe
Old 01-01-10, 09:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
My primary concern was that, being a race bike, the geometry would be "right on the edge" as it was and that me peddling my 200+ pounds around on it centered too far forward or too high or whatever could cause the bike to mishandle or, worse, for something to snap.
That would be my concern too. I've heard that too much weight on the front wheel can generate that "high speed wobble" thing but I don't have the background to say for sure.
Old 01-02-10, 09:09 AM
Rogue Leader

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hurts my knees thats about it....
Old 01-02-10, 09:51 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12185 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,104 Posts
I think most people make this mistake at some point; and often it's their first
road bike.

Ride it. You will futz aroudn trying to get comfy; and eventually give up and
get something else. Seems to be what happens to a lot of us.
Likes For late:
Old 01-04-10, 06:59 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I felt perched atop my 54cm frame; I feel like I am actually riding my 56cm frame. Big difference in how much control you have over your bike. Of course the pros seem to ride bikes they look perched atop of and do just fine. However, they have a lot of custom-made hardware to fit their particular geometry. Us plebes generally don't have access to that bit of stuff.
To a degree you can always increase the virtual size of a smaller frame by raising the seatpost (and getting one with a lot of setback) and a long stem so your handlebars aren't making you feel oppressed. At 6 feet tall, however, 52 is probably just too damn small for you to pedal correctly which easily leads to trashed knees.
Old 01-05-10, 01:18 AM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Velo Orange has the seatposts you may want, they push the seat back quite a long way. Look at the Nitto Long Technomic stems while you are there. That will let you adjust the handlebar away from your knees. Oh, be wary of the wheel striking your shoe when you turn. THAT could be painful too.
Old 01-06-10, 01:19 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005trek1200
better a bike too small than large, i believe

I don't know about that. My first bike was too small and I experienced a lot of back pain, neck pain, and hand numbness. I now own a bike that fits very well and one that is a bit too large. I can ride the large bike just fine, the only problem is that I feel a bit stretched and it tires my arms after a while. I guess it's easier to make corrections on a smaller bike.
Old 04-11-20, 06:40 AM
steelisreal19

Bikes: 2002 Tommasini TecnoTig, 1997 Mondonico ELOS, 1990 Gotti SLX, 1994 Eddy Merckx Corsa, 1994 Pinarello Veneto, 1998 Bianchi Eros,1985 Trek 470

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I’m 6’ 1” and usually ride a 58, I’ve fallen in love with a Tommasini that is 55x55 c-c, would it be absurd for me to buy it? Full Dura Ace 🤤
Old 04-11-20, 07:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I think that most people that race ride a bike that is actually too small for them, because they weigh less.
Old 04-11-20, 02:04 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Hum. I have several bikes that I ride that fit me well. I have a Raleigh Marathon for a road bike. As far as spending money goes, I would like to wait untill after a good chunk of the season is gone to see how my cycling tastes are going to shake out. I started last year road riding (on a very entry level MTB) and wound up all but abandoning the road for the trails (on that same bike) by the end of the season. As long as I keep up with the riding I'll treat myself to a "new" bike later, but only one and geared towrds the type of riding that I wind up enjoying. I'm just attached to that Peugeot and if I can tweek it a little to make it fit me then that will be fine for the time being. My primary concern was that, being a race bike, the geometry would be "right on the edge" as it was and that me peddling my 200+ pounds around on it centered too far forward or too high or whatever could cause the bike to mishandle or, worse, for something to snap. I rode it around fairly successfully for a couple hundred miles last year so I guess it won't necessarily suck that badly.
What model of Peugeot is it? I raced a Peogeot PX10 back in the 70s, and at 6' I rode a bike larger than a 60 cm, and it worked well. I can't imagine going down to a frame as small as you are wanting to use.
Note the short stem.

IMO if you can not get the bike to fit you using the normal parameters( seat height , reach, knee proper relation to pedal at 3:00 o'clock) it will not be comfortable or efficient to ride.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-11-20 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-11-20, 05:08 PM
zenmonkey
banana ying yang

Bikes: SC Blur & a Lapierre

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nowadays, you can adjust a bike quite significantly with a combo of seat post, rails, stems, stack and handlebar set-up.
Ride the bike.
Make adjustments slowly - bottom up and back to front. Seat height, position on sitting, angle.
Ride some more.

Be aware that a real 70's race geometry (not a relaxed one) was a compromise that really put strain on your back to position you for an aerodynamic position. It required "time in seat" to strengthen and develop the right positional physiology. Unless you plan to be racing or doing hard group rides (on a 70's bike? don't.) Set up the bike for a more relaxed position and don't hesitate to bring the handlebars up a bit to enjoy the ride. It's a 70's bike - it should be ridden for pleasure and not the TdF.
Likes For zenmonkey:
Old 04-11-20, 07:57 PM
mr,grumpy 

wow Doug! How did you ever find this zombe thread? It was a PRN-10 and it was amazing but it was too small. I sold it on ears a go to a girl about 5'6" and she was quite happy with it.

2008 Specialized Roubaix
Likes For mr,grumpy:
Old 04-12-20, 09:13 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by steelisreal19
I’m 6’ 1” and usually ride a 58, I’ve fallen in love with a Tommasini that is 55x55 c-c, would it be absurd for me to buy it? Full Dura Ace 🤤
nope -!stripping the Dura Ace parts from it for a build that fits while you hang a Tommasini on the wall as an art project sounds like a fine idea
Old 04-12-20, 09:18 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
wow Doug! How did you ever find this zombe thread? It was a PRN-10 and it was amazing but it was too small. I sold it on ears a go to a girl about 5'6" and she was quite happy with it.
sounds like a happy ending.

With a small bike if you get the seat in the right position in relation to the bars, if the seat is slammed backwards all the way and raised an absurd amount it puts your hip angle in a bind that hinders efficient pedalling and may wind up hurting a bit