Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying from a banned member!?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying from a banned member!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 06:11 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I wrote back to tell the seller that for my peace of mind, I'd like to know that specific piece of information before I place an order.
Moe Zhoost See here.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 04-12-20 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-12-20, 06:12 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 523 Posts
Retrogression?
Old 04-12-20, 06:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It's really simple: I'm looking to run wider tires (in the 2.00-2.15 range) on my Dahon. My15mm factory rims may be wide enough for the factory 20x1.75 Citizens, but they will be too narrow for any Big Apple, Big Ben or anything else of similar width.

Rebuilding my existing wheels with new, wider rims would just be too much of a hassle, not to mention that it will cost me about as much as a new pair of ready-built wheels out of China/HK/Taiwan, and I want sealed bearings all around anyway, so I figured I'd just order a pair of decent quality wheels and be done with it. I came across the member's store and saw a few wheels that interested me, so I asked them what internal width of the rims was. They came back only to say that they are wide enough.

Meanwhile, I saw other wheels from different vendors and they all answered the same question specifically.
I think you're answering your own question -- deal with people who respond to your questions reasonably because they are more likely to make it right if something goes wrong. There's only one reason he wouldn't answer a direct question like that -- he doesn't really know and doesn't want to bother checking. If your patronage isn't worth that much courtesy, just think how little he's going to care if you're not satisfied.

Basically, he just told you he's going to send whatever, and it'll be up to you to make it work.

That's the real red flag --he's already treating you badly.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-12-20, 07:49 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Oh, spare me the holier-than-thou BF vermin, will ya? I asked because the member in question used to be very active on the forum with plenty of (seemingly) satisfied customers, and the goods on their site appear to be legit.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I say go for it.
lolz

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 04-12-20, 09:05 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Moe Zhoost See here.
???
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-12-20, 09:18 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
???
I wrote them back a second time and asked - again - for a specific number as to the internal width of the rims. Nothing yet. For now, I'll chalk the delay up for it being Easter Sunday and all.
Old 04-12-20, 09:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

I wrote them back a second time and asked - again - for a specific number as to the internal width of the rims. Nothing yet. For now, I'll chalk the delay up for it being Easter Sunday and all.
Give it a few days. These are weird times and the guy might be going through some difficulties.

I have experienced the same frustration dealing with folks that just won't answer what I asked. I do realise that sometimes my question is too detailed, or I assume the person has a background to understand. It sounds like you asked for the specific info concisely so it should be easy to give a good answer. My experience has always been that if you give a quick answer to save time, you end up spending more time when additional questions come.

Good luck.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 04-12-20 at 01:38 PM.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-12-20, 02:17 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Too many red flags for me. I'd take a hard pass.
Old 04-12-20, 05:47 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
If it's the Dahon dealer who got banned you will be fine. He was always super helpful on the folder site and it was a huge loss when he was removed. I would have no issue with buying something from his site and almost bought a Hammerhead before my Airnimal from him but the frame was too small. Of course my belief is any information on folders from builders/businesses is good and it is up to us as members to weed through what is or what is not in our best interests.
Old 04-12-20, 05:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,541 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by nachoman
lolz
ikr
Old 04-12-20, 06:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I asked the seller a specific question along the lines of "how long/thick/wide is x?" The "x" here being a primary, defining dimension of a major component, such as "how wide is this tire?" The answer I had hoped for was something like "this many inches/mm/degrees" instead of something like "long/thick/wide enough."
That response would have been the only red flag I needed and would have brought my communications with the seller to an abrupt halt.
Old 04-12-20, 06:58 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Oh, spare me the holier-than-thou BF vermin, will ya? I asked because the member in question used to be very active on the forum with plenty of (seemingly) satisfied customers, and the goods on their site appear to be legit.
Yeah, OK you should buy it.
Old 04-12-20, 08:08 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
You can probably get an answer to your technical question by checking the many web sites that deal with bike tire/rim compatibility. Search for "bike tire vs rim size."

Regarding the buying question - I think the eBay seller feedback rating would be a more accurate judge of the seller that the fact that a forum has banned them.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 04-12-20, 08:46 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Whatever it is, buy it. Upload it to the GCN "Hot or Not" section. Then post a pic of it next to water, right here on this forum. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 04-13-20, 12:38 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
Retrogression?
LOL why do you mention them? The owner is not banned from here. This is how rumors start. Shame on you!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-13-20, 12:47 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
LOL why do you mention them? The owner is not banned from here. This is how rumors start. Shame on you!
I haven't seen Scrod on here in ages and had just assumed that he'd gone off on one of his rants and gotten banned, or that his shop was keeping him busy. He's a nice enough guy, but definitely known to lose his patience at times.
Old 04-13-20, 01:01 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Update: the person in question replied back to say that that the internal width of the rim is "about" 16mm (though they put this piece of information at the very end of message.) Just how much give-or-take is "about" is anyone's guess.

The person also said that they had used 20x2.15 Big Apples - just didn't say if it was the wheels in question that they used them on. They went on to tell me to "be careful" as to Schwalbe's rim-tire fitment recommendations because "they are based on 26 inch and bigger wheels."

All of this, on top of the person's chaotic and disorganized writing style, puts me off even more. It's as though I'm having to milk them for simple, straightforward information, one drop at a time. Buying stuff should be less of a hassle than this!
Old 04-13-20, 01:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Update: the person in question replied back to say that that the internal width of the rim is "about" 16mm (though they put this piece of information at the very end of message.) Just how much give-or-take is "about" is anyone's guess.

The person also said that they had used 20x2.15 Big Apples - just didn't say if it was the wheels in question that they used them on. They went on to tell me to "be careful" as to Schwalbe's rim-tire fitment recommendations because "they are based on 26 inch and bigger wheels."

All of this, on top of the person's chaotic and disorganized writing style, puts me off even more. It's as though I'm having to milk them for simple, straightforward information, one drop at a time. Buying stuff should be less of a hassle than this!

Well, that's settled, then, so let's go on to the next pressing question:

How are you going to put drop bars on your Dahon?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-13-20, 01:45 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, that's settled, then, so let's go on to the next pressing question:

How are you going to put drop bars on your Dahon?

Quit poking the bear!
Old 04-13-20, 01:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Quit poking the bear!
Great, so now I can't get the picture of a bear riding a Dahon and blowing a siren whistle out of my head.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-14-20, 07:35 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Folks who communicate in "train of thought" drivel are definitely aggravating. If they actually answer a question it's either incomplete or ambiguous ... and they always seem surprised when the recipient doesn't feel that the response was adequate.
Old 04-14-20, 02:35 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
That response would have been the only red flag I needed and would have brought my communications with the seller to an abrupt halt.
I'm bringing my careful reading of this thread to an abrupt halt right here. Maybe that seller is banned for a good reason or no reason, but if I could I would ban the o.p. for a month just for being obtuse, coy, rude, and .. more I can't think of, all in just one thread. I get that we are all bored and cranky, but adults should be able to handle their business themselves. Buy the damn rims and buy a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle as well. And @LDL, don't even think about it.
Old 04-14-20, 03:51 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
If I detect any iffiness in a transaction I dip quick. I've had my bank account hijacked once before by a no-name internet seller, and while my bank covered the $1200 they took (who spends $1200 at a damn convenience store??), it was no fun to have to cut up debit cards and wait for replacements.

That being said, it takes very very little effort to get banned from BF. I've had my share of bannings. It's an internet forum owned and run by Californians that serves a passionate-by-nature user base (cyclists). This isn't meant to offend anyone...it's merely factual. I'm passionate (uptight?) about cycling just as much as the next member, and that can make for heated discussions. Unfortunately, I'm also passionate but also other hobbies that I can't even mention on these forums without being penalized/banned.

There's a history on these forums that goes back to the mid 2000's before Internet Brands bought the forums from Joe. BF used to be more "wild westy" but the rules got fairly strict after the exchange of ownership. Foo used to be damn-near NSFW, but now it's just a watered-down General. Moderators were suddenly given free reign to read between lines with a fine-tooth comb and a LOT of good folk left for greener pastures. The OG BF crowd that didn't tuck tail were slowly weeded out via the banhammer as BF became extremely PC.

In the end, I wouldn't worry about banned members being bad eggs (I'm one of them, just older and more tolerant now). I'd definitely worry about bad communication from a seller, which is what OP got a whiff of before making the right call to dip.
Old 04-15-20, 11:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm bringing my careful reading of this thread to an abrupt halt right here. Maybe that seller is banned for a good reason or no reason, but if I could I would ban the o.p. for a month just for being obtuse, coy, rude, and .. more I can't think of, all in just one thread. I get that we are all bored and cranky, but adults should be able to handle their business themselves. Buy the damn rims and buy a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle as well. And @LDL, don't even think about it.

Great, now I'm thinking about "it". And right after the whistling bear got off the Dahon.