Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Observing Crime While Cycling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-22-20, 09:30 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 330 Posts

Last night I was riding home when I heard some young girls screaming. I circled back around and saw them running across a 4 lane road in the dark. I rode in their direction and they jumped in a car; I memorized the license plate. As I turned I could see someone at the convenience store across the street with his phone in the film/picture position.

I rode over and gave him the license plate number and he told me they'd run out with merchandise without paying.

It reminded me of the time when I was stopped at traffic light early in the morning and heard noises from the same convenience store. I looked over and a couple of guys were coming out with the cash register. I yelled "hey" and they loaded up and drove off away from me.

My initial reaction on that one wasn't good. I shouldn't have drawn attention to myself. My plan now when I see a robbery in progress is to get to a safe place as first priority.

I find that as a cyclist I can see, hear (and smell) much better than motorists. I encounter situations, including criminal activity, that otherwise wouldn't be noticed.

Any war stories and lessons learned from others? I like hearing about other's experiences because it helps me prepare for situations.
Old 05-22-20, 10:14 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Last night I was riding home when I heard some young girls screaming. I circled back around and saw them running across a 4 lane road in the dark. I rode in their direction and they jumped in a car; I memorized the license plate. As I turned I could see someone at the convenience store across the street with his phone in the film/picture position.

I rode over and gave him the license plate number and he told me they'd run out with merchandise without paying.

It reminded me of the time when I was stopped at traffic light early in the morning and heard noises from the same convenience store. I looked over and a couple of guys were coming out with the cash register. I yelled "hey" and they loaded up and drove off away from me.

My initial reaction on that one wasn't good. I shouldn't have drawn attention to myself. My plan now when I see a robbery in progress is to get to a safe place as first priority.

I find that as a cyclist I can see, hear (and smell) much better than motorists. I encounter situations, including criminal activity, that otherwise wouldn't be noticed.

Any war stories and lessons learned from others? I like hearing about other's experiences because it helps me prepare for situations.
Hark, I say there, thou shalt halt.......

(What you did was really dumb)
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 05-22-20, 10:20 AM
washed up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
The only crime me and the people I ride with are subjected to is..................me in lycra.
Likes For washed up:
Old 05-22-20, 10:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
I've seen many fashion crimes while cycling.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-22-20, 10:40 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
I've witnessed a few vehicle accidents, but no criminal acts. One accident involved someone who took off after briefly stopping; they were part of the accident and there was injury involved, so leaving made it a felony hit-and-run. I got their license plate # and gave it to the police who showed up.
Likes For skidder:
Old 05-22-20, 10:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
In the cash register scenario they could have not thought twice about popping you with a cap as a witness. Stay safe!

Observe and report.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-22-20, 10:44 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I admit to it. . . guilty as charged!
Old 05-22-20, 11:40 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

Catching teenage girls stealing makeup is something right out of Hollywood...

I remember witnessing a child lift a pack of gum a few years ago. Didn't have the courage to confront him though.

Many nights of lost sleep over that fateful day...
Old 05-22-20, 11:53 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Seen enough traffic violations to wallpaper the Smithsonian museum....

Witnessed a snatch and run at a Kroger, got descrips and license #.... Manager DID NOT want the info

One morning saw a guy, toting a shotgun, enter a liquor store. Called in on my maintenance radio. It was the owner
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-22-20, 01:22 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by washed up
The only crime me and the people I ride with are subjected to is..................me in lycra.
Beat me to it.
Old 05-22-20, 05:38 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I don't even need to be on a trail to witness that. You can see them at local malls, Walmart and in public.
Old 05-22-20, 09:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Not the hero we need but the hero we deserve
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-22-20, 09:24 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Twice I've been stopped by police asking if I've seen a suspect. On one of those occasions they also asked if I'd heard any gun shots or screaming - that time I was about 1/4 mile from home. I've never witnessed any actual assault or other violent crime.
Old 05-23-20, 05:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Beat me to it.
Old 05-23-20, 06:24 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Cyclist harassment where I am the target. Intentional close passes and veering into the marked bike lane are crimes (infractions at least).
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-23-20, 07:12 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I am a career criminal when it comes to committing fashion crimes while cycling. I commit crimes against cycling fashion every time I go out for a ride.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-23-20, 07:41 AM
CoogansBluff

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I encounter situations, including criminal activity, that otherwise wouldn't be noticed.
I've never seen criminal activity while riding except for traffic violations and perhaps lately some social gathering infractions.

My plan now when I see a robbery in progress is to get to a safe place as first priority.
My plan for when I see a robbery is to engage in social distancing of six miles.

That's defining robbery literally, as in the criminal has a weapon (ie, gun). If it's simple theft, I would help if possible.
Old 05-23-20, 07:48 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
^
Murph The Surf is looking for you.

In the early 1990s Stroud attempted to come to the aid of a man being mugged on the street in Greenwich Village, New York City. He wound up getting stabbed ten times, including his right eye; he can no longer see out of it.
Old 05-23-20, 08:00 AM
1964GTO

Bikes: 1972 Peugeot, 2012 Giant Sedona, 2020 Trek FX-2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I admit to it. . . guilty as charged!
LOL Guilty!

Other than that, not while riding. At work our instinct is to grab them or whatever they're taking, but It's just stuff and not worth a human life.
Old 05-23-20, 08:05 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Not a ride goes by that I don’t see at least several thousands of dollars worth of low level traffic violations, that any decent cop could easily cite. I’ve ridden past domestic disturbances countless times, esp at night. Probably witnessed hundreds of drug deals / consumption events, but I don’t really consider that “crime” per se. That’s about it for me. All the really bad awful stuff I have seen has been when I’ve been in my car, thankfully.

Other than the time I once stopped at a convenience store on the bad part of town, and when I came out a local gentleman was admiring my fancy racing bicycle and asked if me he could take it for a “test ride”, and assured me that he “would bring it right back”. But I’m not sure if that’s even a crime, he was just checking to see how big a chump I really was, it was nothing personal.
Old 05-23-20, 08:43 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I've never observed a crime in progress in a more typical context. The closest I've been to being the victim cycling are 1) having soft drink thrown at me 2) forcibly, intentionally driven off the road by a pickup truck that had been unable to pass on narrow twisty secondary. Ironically, they had a clear shot to pass at that point but chose to 'make a point.' Both happened in nicer parts of the suburbs, along with 99% of general road rage verbal abuse. In areas of the city that many of these suburbanites would hesitate to venture into I've never felt threatened in any way.
Likes For gear64:
Old 05-23-20, 09:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Not a ride goes by that I don’t see at least several thousands of dollars worth of low level traffic violations, that any decent cop could easily cite. I’ve ridden past domestic disturbances countless times, esp at night. Probably witnessed hundreds of drug deals / consumption events, but I don’t really consider that “crime” per se.
Stirred some memories. A couple of years ago I rode off to the nature center of a campground while touring to get help to break up a domestic disturbance. A man and woman, both drunk, were fighting. He hit her with a tree brach and threw her to the ground. Park police arrested him. I provided a written statement. Scary to see.

Way BITD our small group was camping in a town park in a small town in NE Washington state while riding across the country. Three or four times that evening I witnessed what were obviously hand to hand drug sales. The same truck kept pulling into the park. Each time a different car would then enter and pull along side the truck. Arms out the windows and then they would drive off minutes from each other.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-23-20, 10:12 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
One day some teens were toting a couple of flat panel TVs down the local MUP I used for my commute. Rather telling when they tried to hide their faces to the front camera on my bike. What they didn’t realize is the rear camera captured their faces. Gave the police my video and statement, which they successfully used to prosecute.

Then there is the other time I was shot with paintballs six times, a block from home, also thanks to some teens in a car, firing from the sunroof. I didn’t spill, and was impressed by their aim. After all they were driving at about 35mph or so. Left some nice bruises all over. Police took my statement and also caught them, although my then video camera was too low resolution and it was dusk, rendering it useless.

Only daily “crime” (depending upon the jurisdiction), other than drivers, is the near constant smell of marijuana. I’m not bothering the authorities over that. Funny thing is I smell it at 6am, which to me seems a bit early. C’est la vie!
Likes For But its me:
Old 05-23-20, 12:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Originally Posted by But its me
Only daily “crime” (depending upon the jurisdiction), other than drivers, is the near constant smell of marijuana. I’m not bothering the authorities over that. Funny thing is I smell it at 6am, which to me seems a bit early. C’est la vie!
I believe the term is "wake and bake".
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-23-20, 12:43 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I was witness to a road race incident where one guy just pummeled the other. If that wasn't enough he went back to his car and got a golf club and went after him a second time then drove off. I took the licence plate number and talked to the police and gave them my statement. I actually followed them for about ten blocks before the fight actually broke out so I my statement also included the intimidation before the actual assault. Months later the police contacted me to say because my statement was so good the guilty party was even going to try and fight it. He plead guilty and that is the last of it.

Now, on the other hand I have been the victim of road rage when I got pushed around on my bike and thrown into oncoming traffic. He was charged and convicted of Assault with a Weapon x 1 (he tried to hit me with his car before he got out to grab me) Assault x 1, Mischief x 2 to property for breaking my iPhone and wrecking my bike. The beauty of this besides being convicted in Criminal Court, was he did this with his mother in the car. An expensive mistake for him that is for sure.

I live in a big city, stuff happens.
Likes For blakcloud:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.