Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sweat in the eyes...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sweat in the eyes...

Old 06-10-20, 01:14 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
FWIW, I continue to struggle with this problem. I fought it for a long time thinking there was a solution along the lines of a Halo, bandana, or something like that.

Finally I came to realize that my eye sockets generate sweat. While keeping sweat generated outside my eye sockets is helpful, it is not a solution. So I carry a couple of small sweat rags and in hot/humid weather I end up wiping my eyes every couple of minutes. On a really bad day it will start about 6 minutes into the ride for the case where, for whatever reason, I start out going hard - not always my norm.

Not really helpful unless it keeps you from chasing an unfixable problem (as I did for a year or two).

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 06-11-20, 07:03 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Wear a headband(I like Halo and Oakley) and take an extra for halfway through the ride.

Use your gloves to soak some of the sweat out of the band too.
I don't think anything on my body gets wet faster in hot weather than my gloves where sweat runs down my arms and into my gloves (and brifters). Irritating. BTW, I am a 4 pounds of sweat an hour kind of guy. Or at least I used to be. Now that I have passed age 70 my ability to do work has dropped a bit and so has my sweat output.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 06-11-20, 07:36 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Cycling cap or the halo head band work for me.
But I'm a light sweater.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-11-20, 10:02 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Finally I came to realize that my eye sockets generate sweat. While keeping sweat generated outside my eye sockets is helpful, it is not a solution. So I carry a couple of small sweat rags and in hot/humid weather I end up wiping my eyes every couple of minutes. On a really bad day it will start about 6 minutes into the ride for the case where, for whatever reason, I start out going hard - not always my norm.
Same here, some from above, but mostly popping straight out from under my eyebrows and around the socket. It's very annoying, especially since I wear glasses, meaning I can't just do an easy wipe. I did add a long sweat rag to the cockpit for summer months (old t-shirt, trimmed to the right length, making it long enough without going into the wheel).
Likes For rseeker:
Old 06-11-20, 10:10 AM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I also use Halo headbands. They help but for me don't totally solve the problem.

Couple of notes, if you reuse without washing be sure to soak with water prior to your next ride. If it isn't washed or at least rinsed out the salt will dry and then cause greater problems on your next ride. Also while using if sweat starts to get in the eyes and stings squirt some water from your riding bottle on it, this will dilute out the salt and reduces the stinging.
Likes For SwtBadger:
Old 06-12-20, 06:23 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
The Halo sweatband has worked for me here in Alabama.
Old 06-12-20, 07:33 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
The Halo sweatband has worked for me here in Alabama.
OT but I see your name, any relation to the mayor?
Old 06-13-20, 08:17 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
You could keep a soft wash rag in your pocket.
Old 06-13-20, 10:10 PM
lykbutta

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
The HALO sweatband hands down. I sweat buckets and these have been a lifesaver
Old 06-14-20, 08:17 AM
DaveLeeNC

This is going to sound odd but the best device/aid that I have found to help me deal with sweat is a Garmin Varia rear-facing radar. Keep in mind here that I 'generate sweat from my eye sockets' so the help that I get from a Halo/whatever is limited.

In hot weather I always have a sweat rag (typically a cotton washcloth) in one hand or the other. For whatever reason my left eye is the more frequent problem (vs. right eye) so that rag is most often in my left hand. I have a rear facing mirror that clamps onto the very end of my drops. And you can't imagine how often I glance at that mirror and there is a sweat rag hanging across it. The Varia has really helped in that regard as I have found it to be very reliable.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 06-14-20, 11:48 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I rode with a Halo (again) for the first time in years today. I felt like it did a great job of diverting sweat away from my eyes. The rubber strip seems to help direct it elsewhere. I was very pleased as I don’t like the feeling of constant sweat dripping down my face.
Old 06-15-20, 09:23 AM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I'm a bald guy to sweat in the eyes is constant. I've been using the (https://www.sweatgutr.com/sweatbands
they are pretty good but sweat will sometimes go around and dump into eyes. now I want to try that halo, it looks good.
Old 06-15-20, 11:25 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Hali headband works for me, but I don't live in a high humidity area. On long rides, I've thought of carrying two. If it gets soaked, rinse it out with water and put it back on. It will keep the salt from your eyes. I recently purchased the halo headband+cap, hoping that the "hat" portion would absorb some of the sweat. I haven't tried it yet as there hasn't been a really hot day yet.
Old 06-18-20, 06:54 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
But no matter what you choose whether similar to a SweatVac or just a sweat band, it probably needs to be pulled right down to your eyebrows when you ride for long sweat drenching periods of time.
I think this is spot-on... at least for me.

After reading this thread, I bought some GUTR headbands for $10 each as an experiment. While I like it that I was able to position the headband in such a way that it didn't impact how my helmet fit (which kept me from getting a headache that I normally get when wearing a headband), it didn't stop me from getting sweat all over the inside of my glasses either. Apparently I sweat enough around my eyebrows or who-knows-where that the gutter didn't really help at all. Phooey.

Not sure what I should try next... having a big head doesn't make this easy as the "one size fits all" solutions don't work for me.
Old 06-19-20, 08:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
I tried a halo headband but it didn't help. I tried going without and that didn't help. So I got a Pearl Izumi beanie, and I discovered that helped UNLESS I wore it too low on my forehead. If it's pushed up to the top of my forehead, the sweat runs behind my ears and drips off my chin - which is irritating, but at least doesn't blind me!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-19-20, 09:37 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Was going to make a new thread but then found this one and I think, it is on topic. It brings some theory to the problem but alas, won't solve it... but who knows.

Once when out on my bike and sweat dripping on my eyeglasses and from my chin dripping on the top tube of my older steel bike frame, where over years it is starting to develop rust around the 'chromed' cable guides, I thought about it and the more I thought about it, the more I was puzzled.

The puzzle is, why is the head sweating so much, when it is not doing any physical muscle work when I ride bike. First thing that comes to mind, is that the head contains CPU (like computer where it needs cooling), but riding a bike is pretty much repetitive simple motion that you do semi or fully automatically, it has even less variety than say running, the demand for processing should be at low level.

I would expect the upper body needing more cooling via sweating, but it seems the head takes the mick. And most sweat originates where the hair is, I think above ears and in the back where the neck starts.

Some people don't sweat much at all from their head or maybe generally overall, you can see it on tennis players, for example. So it is not the same for everybody.

I usually take along on a ride a square foot sized cotton towel that you can stash even behind waistline and use it when I stop for any reason, because it is then when the real sweat breaks out. Also use it to dry face when I splash some water on it.

There is a not too long but very steep hill on one biking circuit I sometimes make and in August there is tons of flies there because of some fruit trees in the area or what, all attracted by the sweat and the chance to attack you when you can't go fast and so there is less wind draft around your head. It provides good incentive to play a pro and develop a decent speed regardless of the slope

Last edited by vane171; 06-19-20 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-19-20, 10:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I bought a Halo cap. But I find the helmet presses against the plastic diverter and gives me a headache so I turn it around. (I don't sweat tons.)

In my racing days I took a radical approach that meant I sweated as usual but sweat in my eyes didn't sting. I went on a very low salt diet. After months of this, I sweated almost no salt. I did not need to take in salt other than what was in my not so salty sports drink that I put in all my WBs even on the hottest days. (Still needed to intake potassium though. Bananas and that sport drink, then ERG, now called Vitalyte. I loved the low salt life EXCEPT we live in the wrong country for this to be remotely feasible in any public food situation. This country LOVES its salt. To avoid it you have to be obsessive. (I was eating maybe as high as 1000mg a day, half the RDA and never had better health.) And once there, everything from the outside tasted SO salty!

Ben
Old 06-19-20, 10:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Was going to make a new thread but then found this one and I think, it is on topic. It brings some theory to the problem but alas, won't solve it... but who knows.

Once when out on my bike and sweat dripping on my eyeglasses and from my chin dripping on the top tube of my older steel bike frame, where over years it is starting to develop rust around the 'chromed' cable guides, I thought about it and the more I thought about it, the more I was puzzled.

The puzzle is, why is the head sweating so much, when it is not doing any physical muscle work when I ride bike. First thing that comes to mind, is that the head contains CPU (like computer where it needs cooling), but riding a bike is pretty much repetitive simple motion that you do semi or fully automatically, it has even less variety than say running, the demand for processing should be at low level.

I would expect the upper body needing more cooling via sweating, but it seems the head takes the mick. And most sweat originates where the hair is, I think above ears and in the back where the neck starts.

Some people don't sweat much at all from their head or maybe generally overall, you can see it on tennis players, for example. So it is not the same for everybody.

I usually take along on a ride a square foot sized cotton towel that you can stash even behind waistline and use it when I stop for any reason, because it is then when the real sweat breaks out. Also use it to dry face when I splash some water on it.

There is a not too long but very steep hill on one biking circuit I sometimes make and in August there is tons of flies there because of some fruit trees in the area or what, all attracted by the sweat and the chance to attack you when you can't go fast and so there is less wind draft around your head. It provides good incentive to play a pro and develop a decent speed regardless of the slope
Like your computer, your body finds cooling that CPU to be life or death important. (An no, your thoughts simply aren't all that heat generating.)

If we flip the coin and let our bodies get really cold, the body will pull warm blood from the limbs and lose them rather than let the brain get too cold.
Old 06-19-20, 10:27 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
One other factor to be examined...your choice in helmets..... I use Halo headbands and a couple of skullies as well... but by far the biggest relief for me has been chaning helmets to something that ventilates REALLY WELL (Sworks Prevail)... I can't believe the difference in heat build up between it and the previous Giro something or other....
Old 06-20-20, 02:18 PM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Halo head bands for me. I have both the thinner and wider varieties.

I got my hair cut for the first time since the COVID shutdown. I didn't realize how much my flowing locks helped mitigate sweat in the eyes. On my first post-haircut ride, my thin halo headband was saturated about four miles in. I am not a heavy sweater but high humidity plus a fresh cut had my eyes burning.
Old 06-20-20, 02:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Have you tried riding with a cat? Whenever I get home from a ride on a hot day Parsley wants to lick my arms. You could get a handlebar basket for the cat to ride in, and get a cleaning whenever you're in the drops.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-20-20, 02:39 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
That's why I wear a cycling cap under the helmet.
Old 06-20-20, 04:22 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Like your computer, your body finds cooling that CPU to be life or death important. (An no, your thoughts simply aren't all that heat generating.)

If we flip the coin and let our bodies get really cold, the body will pull warm blood from the limbs and lose them rather than let the brain get too cold.
All true. But after I posted, I mulled it over again and I believe I found the reason why so much sweat comes from your head even if cycling is not an intellectual exercise. It is simply that due to exertion, general body temperature wants to rise which the body keeps within some limit by sweating but that still means a bit higher body temperature than is ideal and as a consequence, the heart pumps into your head warmer blood than is the normal case and the head responds by sweating to bring the temperature down.

So it is not that the heat originates in your head due to some mental exertion, rather it is the blood which carries the oxygen into brain that unduly warms it up.

BTW did you observe that after a big and energetic meal, even just thinking makes you sweat? Also panicking brings about sweating when the conditions are ripe for it, like on a hot day, that's why we say in such a case that we 'keep cool' when we don't get overexcited.

Last edited by vane171; 06-20-20 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-20-20, 08:06 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Rode in 93F temps today for a little over 1.5 hour. No sweat in eyes. As soon as I came in the house and took off my halo cap, sweat was pouring into my eyes. Typical. The sweat barrier works well, and I expect other brands with barriers do too.
Old 06-21-20, 11:36 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
All of these cushion your helmet wearing as an added bonus.

Used to wear bike caps, but now I use my Schampa balaclava (one is made in the U.S., one in Mexico). Just bunch up the face mask part on top of your head. Comfortable, and seamless where it goes across your forehead...

Unlike the one under armour skull cap I have used. The seam leaves a mark, but is still not felt - so it's a wash.

edit: Ordered the Halo skull mask and it's got some new fangled 6 inch or so rubber gasket type deal that is not thin and I guess you place it parallel to your forehead so that it keeps sweat from your eyes? Very tight fit also - I'm going to return it for a refund. Amazon, so no worries.

Even the Buff headwear can be used - ff to around 1:52

Last edited by gios; 06-23-20 at 08:16 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.