Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Help Identifying Handmade Polish Frame

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 07-10-20, 09:01 PM
robertmoses

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hello! I acquired this bicycle from someone a couple of years ago who claimed that the frame was made by hand in Poland but cannot remember the builder.

If anyone has any idea of who may have produced this frame I would be very grateful. Of note is the diagonal bridge between the seat stays and perhaps the heart shaped lugs between what is allegedly Columbus tubing.

Thank you for your help!

Old 07-11-20, 01:15 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
I would ask the gurus in the classic and vintage sub forum. Tons of knowledge over there. Good luck and update if you get any info. 👍🏾
Old 07-11-20, 11:24 AM
robertmoses

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
I would ask the gurus in the classic and vintage sub forum. Tons of knowledge over there. Good luck and update if you get any info. 👍🏾
Thanks for your help! Will certainly update if I learn any more about the frame.
Old 07-11-20, 12:05 PM
robertmoses

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robertmoses
Thanks for your help! Will certainly update if I learn any more about the frame.
Mystery solved thanks to unterhausen in the Framebuilders forum:

Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The only distinguishing feature is the crooked seat stay bridge, and that might help you identify the builder. Otherwise, the lugs are untouched by human hands and there is no evidence that this was an accomplished builder. I'm hoping the defect at the shoreline of the seat lug is in the paint, which appears to have been applied by hand. If it weren't for the seat stay bridge, I would have guessed it was a production bike. No glaring errors in construction, just that it's unremarkable in every way.

edited: found it. www.gromada.waw.pl
Apparently modified production bike.
Likes For robertmoses:
Old 07-11-20, 03:17 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Yeah, the quality of the lug work looks like cheap 1970s bike boom era. I had a Peugeot UO8 that looked like that.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-11-20, 08:45 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Yeah, the quality of the lug work looks like cheap 1970s bike boom era. I had a Peugeot UO8 that looked like that.
>UO8

Sheldon Brown quote:

Some of the low-end models make for a very nice ride if customized with better components. I'm not the only cyclist who praises the excellent handling qualities of the UO-8, Peugeot's bottom-of-the-line 1970s 10-speed. There are probably other low-grade French bicycles as good. The UO-8 frame has unusually long chainstays, for ample heel clearance when carrying rear panniers. The plain-gauge steel frame tubing is a bit heavier than fancier butted tubing, but the added stiffness is welcome when carrying a touring load, and plain-gauge tubing doesn't dent easily like thin-walled butted tubing. A UO-8 is my favorite touring bike. So there!]