Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 11:25 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I'd bunny hop a tree branch or pothole and feed it to you.
You dont think it is a bit excessive - responding to bad etiquette by doing something that may cause them to crash?

If it bothered me that much, i would just tell them so. I wouldnt engage in behavior that might cause someone else to crash and get hurt. I dont mean to cause offense, but in all honesty, this sounds like an incredibly nasty thing to do to someone else and seems more a case of spoiling for a fight. Following someone's wheel doesnt warrant this kind of response, IMO.
Old 07-14-20, 11:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
It's all about consent. If you're a responsible cyclist, having someone on your wheel imposes a number of requirements on you - holding your line, not suddenly standing up and throwing the bike backwards, calling out hazards, warning if you're slowing, etc. Maybe I don't feel like being responsible for somebody else's safety right then.

If you don't mind people hooking on, more power to you. But it's not a requirement that you accept it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-15-20, 02:02 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
I see that ALL the time with couples here, the worst part is, sometimes they get lost and can't find their way home!

I ride next to my wife, its better that way! (or behind, if there is traffic)
I like to have my wife go in front and set the pace. If there's a headwind I'll go in front and watch my power like a hawk. It's cool to see her get better at riding and fall behind less and less.

Also it's awesome that you were in Suzhou. I've been there for work.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 07-15-20, 02:28 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by genejockey
It's all about consent. If you're a responsible cyclist, having someone on your wheel imposes a number of requirements on you - holding your line, not suddenly standing up and throwing the bike backwards, calling out hazards, warning if you're slowing, etc. Maybe I don't feel like being responsible for somebody else's safety right then.
There is a difference between not actively calling out hazards and stuff, and actively taking a line that poses a risk to the person behind you. If someone follows me un-asked, I will ride the same line that I would were i alone, including last-minute swerving if i saw something unexpected. What I would NOT do is deliberately try to f**k over the guy behind me. There is a big difference between "not going out of your way to point out hazards" and "actively trying to hurt the guy behind you".
Old 07-15-20, 04:53 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
What happened to the idea, quite popular on BF, that the fastest way to get fit is to ride with people who are faster than you? Where'd that go? .
It went to the organized group ride or meet-up.
Old 07-15-20, 05:15 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
200+ posts in two days is a successful troll...
Old 07-15-20, 05:31 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Going for another 200?
In my world, hand slings ARE allowed in the final 200 (meters).
Old 07-15-20, 05:34 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
In my world, hand slings ARE allowed in the final 200 (meters).
The twilight zone?
Likes For gregf83:
Old 07-15-20, 05:52 AM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by gregf83
The twilight zone?
Here's another one. Maybe I should start another thread of antics on the bike. In a group, and you hit a hill. The group bunches up, so riders front back and both sides of you. Reach over to a rider next to you and just slightly ahead of you. Grab the seat rail with your finger and slightly let off the pressure on your pedals. Then relase from his saddle. The ither rider will look down at his bike and wonder wtf just happened.
Old 07-15-20, 06:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
The "pale woman with the crushed soul" comment got me thinking. This one will "throw" you guys into a tizzy. I often see a woman riding well behind a single guy or several guys and realize they are "together". Really bugs me to see this. I really enjoy having women in the group on a ride. Soooo, if I ride upon this situation I like to ride up next to the woman and anounce, "just keep ridiing straight." I put a hand on their butt and push them along and accelerate, then push them off. This sends me back a bit. Then I accelerate, tell them to hold on, come past, put out my hand on their butt and give them a good sling, Madison style. Drop back and repeat until they regain contact with the group. Its all in good fun. The women love it. No one has complained. So have at it, just how awful is my behavior? Have I broken all rider etiquette?
Oh my goodness, is this really a thing people do? I was wondering what Phil Gaimon was on about in his "be welcoming to new riders rant" when he said women do not need/want a push. I didn't think he was being literal.

Likes For himespau:
Old 07-15-20, 06:55 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Oh my goodness, is this really a thing people do?
Maybe in the 70's
Likes For kingston:
Old 07-15-20, 08:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Stay 6ft or more away to avoid catching the Covids. Especially in $hitcago.
Old 07-15-20, 08:27 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The "pale woman with the crushed soul" comment got me thinking. This one will "throw" you guys into a tizzy. I often see a woman riding well behind a single guy or several guys and realize they are "together". Really bugs me to see this. I really enjoy having women in the group on a ride. Soooo, if I ride upon this situation I like to ride up next to the woman and anounce, "just keep ridiing straight." I put a hand on their butt and push them along and accelerate, then push them off. This sends me back a bit. Then I accelerate, tell them to hold on, come past, put out my hand on their butt and give them a good sling, Madison style. Drop back and repeat until they regain contact with the group. Its all in good fun. The women love it. No one has complained. So have at it, just how awful is my behavior? Have I broken all rider etiquette?
Maybe you should try some of these instead. You might have better luck.

Old 07-15-20, 08:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by guadzilla
There is a difference between not actively calling out hazards and stuff, and actively taking a line that poses a risk to the person behind you. If someone follows me un-asked, I will ride the same line that I would were i alone, including last-minute swerving if i saw something unexpected. What I would NOT do is deliberately try to f**k over the guy behind me. There is a big difference between "not going out of your way to point out hazards" and "actively trying to hurt the guy behind you".
Oh, I agree! For me, I'll either start calling hazards and riding more predictably, or I'll slow down a bit and move all the way to the right to indicate I don't want to be drafted.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-15-20, 09:46 AM
big chainring 

Whats with the hostility on the forum. I work hard all week. On the weekend I ride to have fun.
Old 07-15-20, 09:56 AM
big chainring 

I was on a group ride, yes just jumped in, and a woman gets a flat. Half the group continues to ride a quarter mile or so before word gets to them that someone flatted. So the woman, me and 6 or 7 other guys stop to help her out. She's never fixed a flat the other dudes are like, I've done it once, then I chime in, well I've done maybe a thousand(worked at bike shop) . Grabbed the wheel and changed out the tube. And we're on our way. So see how nice it is to have a guy jump into your group. Oh and then about 2 miles down the road they drop me.
Old 07-15-20, 10:42 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
WTAF.

Do not put your hand on another rider. I can't believe this needs to be said.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-15-20, 11:48 AM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by caloso
WTAF.

Do not put your hand on another rider. I can't believe this needs to be said.
You never put a hand out to tell another rider you are beside/behind him? Did that just the other day. I guess with Covid shaking hands it out. But at the end of a ride you dont reach over and shake a hand or two. Heck, take some food out of a buddies back pocket. Put an arm around an old riding buddy.

Where are you guys from and what sort of riding do you do? I read these forums a few years ago and it was a bunch of die-hard bike geeks. What happened?

I'm pretty much down to riding weekends only and I like mixing it up. Drop into a paceline. Might see someone I know. Gotta give him a bump, shake, pat on the back.
Old 07-15-20, 12:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Geez, this is starting to remind me of Sexual Harassment Training: "Hey, I'm a hugger!", "Hey, it's a compliment!", "She was laughing with the rest of us", and that ever popular, "We're different here. We need this loose atmosphere to perform!"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-15-20, 01:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
You never put a hand out to tell another rider you are beside/behind him? Did that just the other day. I guess with Covid shaking hands it out. But at the end of a ride you dont reach over and shake a hand or two. Heck, take some food out of a buddies back pocket. Put an arm around an old riding buddy.

Where are you guys from and what sort of riding do you do? I read these forums a few years ago and it was a bunch of die-hard bike geeks. What happened?

I'm pretty much down to riding weekends only and I like mixing it up. Drop into a paceline. Might see someone I know. Gotta give him a bump, shake, pat on the back.
making contact with someone you know is totally different from making contact with a complete stranger. i will steer clear in both cases.
Old 07-15-20, 01:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I was on a group ride, yes just jumped in, and a woman gets a flat. So the woman, me and 6 or 7 other guys stop to help her out.
Some joke out there, but it's not coming to me about 'how many guy cyclists does it take to fix a woman's flat?'... Anyone know how that goes?
Old 07-15-20, 01:36 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Some joke out there, but it's not coming to me about 'how many guy cyclists does it take to fix a woman's flat?'... Anyone know how that goes?
probably as many engineers as it takes to screw in a light bulb.
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-15-20, 01:54 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by spelger
probably as many engineers as it takes to screw in a light bulb.
How big is the light bulb and is alcohol involved?
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-15-20, 02:10 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
making contact with someone you know is totally different from making contact with a complete stranger. i will steer clear in both cases.
Groping women you're not in a personal/sexual relationship with is never okay.

They've even made a law or two for it.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-15-20, 02:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Someone touching me while I'm riding would freak me right the **** out. I would probably throw a huge wobble.

Besides, with freewheels today being so darn loud, all you have to do is roll up on someone and stop pedaling for a moment. They'll hear you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.