Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 01:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Comments?
That really sucks.

Sorry, that's about all I've got, but I guess I'd be callin' someone. Does your county have a 411 line that can direct you to the appropriate agency?
Old 08-23-20, 01:55 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Caledonia *5*, por favor. Iffin' you're going to do it, do it and get the nicer cable routing.
Obviously
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 08-23-20, 01:57 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Because of the prodding from rjones, I re-checked the pricing with main shop in the area (Conte's) and, due to covid, they're not ever renting at this time.
Pretty much all the bike shops in the Hilton head area have extra cleaning/sanitation notices on their web pages, but they’re all beach cruisers. Triathlon shop I checked with just told me they’re not renting road bikes anymore without an explanation and directed me to another shop, which I’m yet to call.

Though, looking around online, I’m coming to find (more and more) that Hilton head area may not be the best place for road riding. I found two “shop ride” routes on garmin connect, but when the local cycling club has more “riding day trips” advertised on their website than their local rides, it makes you think twice.

it’s just 5 days anyway.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 08-23-20, 01:59 PM
WhyFi

I'm certainly no Safa, but this is about as much fun as there is to be had with a descent in my area. Going the other way is about as much "fun" with a climb as there is to be had. Pity us flatlanders.

Old 08-23-20, 02:02 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Pretty much all the bike shops in the Hilton head area have extra cleaning/sanitation notices on their web pages, but they’re all beach cruisers. Triathlon shop I checked with just told me they’re not renting road bikes anymore without an explanation and directed me to another shop, which I’m yet to call.

Though, looking around online, I’m coming to find (more and more) that Hilton head area may not be the best place for road riding. I found two “shop ride” routes on garmin connect, but when the local cycling club has more “riding day trips” advertised on their website than their local rides, it makes you think twice.

it’s just 5 days anyway.
Eesh. Even if you do find bike shop ride routes, the thing that I've found is that they often cover ground that makes me uncomfortable as a solo rider, so due diligence and all that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-23-20, 02:04 PM
WhyFi

ps: pic of water flowing into sinkhole
**** me. Yeah, I'd be making calls to someone... anyone.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-23-20, 02:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
That really sucks.

Sorry, that's about all I've got, but I guess I'd be callin' someone. Does your county have a 411 line that can direct you to the appropriate agency?
IDK. I can call the township and I expect they can point me in the right direction.

I feel bad for the poor schmucks buying these houses. They are right next to an active quarry so lots of shaking when they blast, and very high risk of sinkholes. We neighbors protested against the developer for these and other reasons but the township commissioners said since the land is zoned residential, they pretty much had to approve the development plan.

There are 37 houses and they all got sold quickly. There is HUGE housing demand in our area.
Old 08-23-20, 02:09 PM
kissTheApex

Comments?
That seems to be a huge body of water. Are they putting in a pond of some sort? From what you’re describing it looks like they’ve put filter fabric (shiny black fabric), which helps with dirt runoff, but of course can only handle so much, and that photo definitely looks way too much.

A call to county and OSHA would get their attention. Of course, I don’t know if OSHA inspections/site checks are being done right now, but construction being “deemed essential”, I’d wager osha would be on as well.
Old 08-23-20, 02:11 PM
kissTheApex

Eesh. Even if you do find bike shop ride routes, the thing that I've found is that they often cover ground that makes me uncomfortable as a solo rider, so due diligence and all that.
Yeah, I’ve checked one this afternoon with google street view and there are definite cringeworthy sections that makes me have second thoughts.
Old 08-23-20, 02:14 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

That seems to be a huge body of water. Are they putting in a pond of some sort? From what you’re describing it looks like they’ve put filter fabric (shiny black fabric), which helps with dirt runoff, but of course can only handle so much, and that photo definitely looks way too much.

A call to county and OSHA would get their attention. Of course, I don’t know if OSHA inspections/site checks are being done right now, but construction being “deemed essential”, I’d wager osha would be on as well.
It’s pretty big. The whole development is 37 acres and I estimate the drainage basin is 10% of the area so almost 4 acres. My main concern is standing water. Lots of developments have these stormwater basins but the water is gone within 1-2 days after a storm. That keeps mosquitoes away. My suspicion is that the fabric they lined the basin with is not very permeable and will end up keeping standing water in place for weeks at a time. No bueno but I don’t know if it’s against code.
Old 08-23-20, 02:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Golf claims another caddy due to cramps.

Old 08-23-20, 02:26 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
On this morning's ride, I had the undamaged gp4ksll on the rear, because I didn't want to take the time to change it. I carried an extra tire strapped to the underseat bag. No call of shame option for another 3.5 weeks.
One of these days I will get up the courage to put the damaged one on the rear. But on a better surface.

Old 08-23-20, 02:28 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by genejockey
Don't think I'll get in a ride today.

That is truly mind blowing. Does it continue on down toward Santa Cruz?

Old 08-23-20, 02:32 PM
kissTheApex

It’s pretty big. The whole development is 37 acres and I estimate the drainage basin is 10% of the area so almost 4 acres. My main concern is standing water. Lots of developments have these stormwater basins but the water is gone within 1-2 days after a storm. That keeps mosquitoes away. My suspicion is that the fabric they lined the basin with is not very permeable and will end up keeping standing water in place for weeks at a time. No bueno but I don’t know if it’s against code.
Filter fabric works well, but it is also very easy to clog, which sounds likely with the quarry nearby. Local codes are all different in what they require and what they let pass by, so a call to county would definitely be the first thing to do.

if there’s a viable concern for safety, I’d also call local osha office and complain as well. In the past, I’ve called the companies’ mainline and asked to talk to their safety director/manager. Even if they don’t pick it up, leaving a voicemail mentioning pending phone calls to county AND osha gets their attention and issues get corrected within a day. There’s hardly anything construction companies dislike as a visit from osha.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 08-23-20, 02:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Filter fabric works well, but it is also very easy to clog, which sounds likely with the quarry nearby. Local codes are all different in what they require and what they let pass by, so a call to county would definitely be the first thing to do.

if there’s a viable concern for safety, I’d also call local osha office and complain as well. In the past, I’ve called the companies’ mainline and asked to talk to their safety director/manager. Even if they don’t pick it up, leaving a voicemail mentioning pending phone calls to county AND osha gets their attention and issues get corrected within a day. There’s hardly anything construction companies dislike as a visit from osha.
Thanks!
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-23-20, 02:44 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

IDK. I can call the township and I expect they can point me in the right direction.

I feel bad for the poor schmucks buying these houses. They are right next to an active quarry so lots of shaking when they blast, and very high risk of sinkholes. We neighbors protested against the developer for these and other reasons but the township commissioners said since the land is zoned residential, they pretty much had to approve the development plan.

There are 37 houses and they all got sold quickly. There is HUGE housing demand in our area.
Is Dengue/zika/Chikungunya a thing yet in your area? That would get their attention. Or any other disease vectors due to standing water.

Old 08-23-20, 02:50 PM
kissTheApex

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Is Dengue/zika/Chikungunya a thing yet in your area? That woI uld get their attention. Or any other disease vectors due to standing water.
Yes, a mention of Zika to the county/township health services crossed my mind, but don’t know how valid a concern it still is datlas
Old 08-23-20, 02:50 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
So for the past two weeks I’ve been working on a huge RFP for my company that has severely impacted my ability to ride (have been too busy to do it).

We got it submitted Friday and the wife and I did a little celebrating because if the business lands, I’ll get a bonus of 1.5x my annual salary. As a result, my Saturday 100 turned into 100k. I’ll take it either way though.
Whoa, nice! Hope it happens!
Old 08-23-20, 02:51 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Is Dengue/zika/Chikungunya a thing yet in your area? That would get their attention. Or any other disease vectors due to standing water.
West Nile.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-23-20, 02:52 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Anyone know much about stormwater drainage/management? The stupid Toll Bros development behind us initially dug a big basin for stormwater, which is reasonable and required. I understand the need for good stormwater management....

However, the land they are developing is FULL of sinkholes. So of course after a few rain storms, there were some sinkholes in the basin. They got someone to pour concrete into them and dug a larger drainage area.

The next big rainstorm saw more new sinkholes opening up and water literally FLOWING into one of the big sinkholes. I think I have a picture I will post, if I can find it.

So next, they dug like 20 feet deeper, laid out a HUGE bunch of rolled out material that looked kinda like shiny fabric, covered it all up with soil to make a newer drainage basin. That was about 1 month ago.

So far, there have been no new sinkholes that I see. HOWEVER, even several days after a rainstorm, there are several feet of standing, stagnant water in the drainage field. Not coincidentally, there seems to be a huge increase in the mosquito population.

My sense is that the material they buried to seal the basin prevents sinkholes by preventing water to percolate/drain, but at the expense of creating stagnant water and although I don't want to be a NIMBY about it, I am not happy about gettin eaten alive by skeeters in the evenings when that did not happen before.

Comments?

ps: pic of water flowing into sinkhole
just seeing a picture of this pisses me off in your behalf
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 08-23-20, 03:00 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Whoa, nice! Hope it happens!
Me too, we’d be building procedural and conditional payment episodes for a health plan that covers 50 million people.

More, we’d have an opportunity to help providers reduce overall utilization while making more money and lowering overall cost of care across the board. I could give a shot about the money, I’m more invested in helping improve healthcare in this country.
Old 08-23-20, 03:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

It’s funny, when I am in good shape (like now) my cycling friends say “oh, he’s a doctor so he has access to the best drugs” and I hope they are joking but sometimes I wonder.
No one has ever said that to me. I don’t even have a DEA number.
Old 08-23-20, 03:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Me too, we’d be building procedural and conditional payment episodes for a health plan that covers 50 million people.

More, we’d have an opportunity to help providers reduce overall utilization while making more money and lowering overall cost of care across the board. I could give a shot about the money, I’m more invested in helping improve healthcare in this country.
Take the money.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-23-20, 03:24 PM
spoofer

Bikes: Trek Domane, Raleigh Technium MB

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Sux that the PA Gov. has let everyone **** the land with fracking etc. This is why so many PA people took the quick $ grab and moved to NY as soon as they got there share. I live a hour N. of the PA border.

Last edited by spoofer; 08-23-20 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 03:38 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
West Nile.
This.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.