Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

waving at other riders

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

waving at other riders

Old 09-06-20, 02:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
The funniest thing to me is how many people who think waving threads are useless and yet are still attracted to following them and commenting about how useless they are.
The funniest thing to me are obsessive wavers who feel that they have a right to impose their obsessive waving habits on other cyclists...and they feel butthurt when other cyclists don't wave at them.
Old 09-06-20, 03:40 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The funniest thing to me are obsessive wavers who feel that they have a right to impose their obsessive waving habits on other cyclists...and they feel butthurt when other cyclists don't wave at them.
I have no problem with this comment. @wolfchild is expressing an opinion that is relevant to the discussion. I do not understand those who take the time to read and comment on a thread they consider useless.
Likes For Sorg67:
Old 09-06-20, 04:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
.... the OP asks because he is interested TODAY, not what you and your buddies thought during your 7K posts. Things evolve, you know? No one made you comment.
Ummm .... if one were to peruse the 22015 thread, and all those before and since ... you might realize that Charles Darwin didn't make it to Bike Forum.... or if he did his theory was not widely accepted.
Old 09-06-20, 05:07 PM
OPC
¡Pura Vida!

Bikes: '92 Bianchi Eros, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brunes83
I live in Phoenix and people are generally pretty friendly here. My neighborhood has a 2.5 mile loop that has a generous sized sidewalk and bike lanes, so there are many people outside walking, running and cycling in the mornings. If I'm cycling, I usually only wave to the runners and walkers who make eye contact. I try to wave to all cyclists in either direction. My form of wave is extending a hand outward and towards the ground. For those cyclists who don't wave, I understand that some aren't as comfortable on the bike and need to keep both hands firmly on the handlebars.

Ahwatukee between 32nd and 40th St? My wife and I call it the Lakes Loop.

Old 09-06-20, 05:08 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ummm .... if one were to peruse the 22015 thread, and all those before and since ... you might realize that Charles Darwin didn't make it to Bike Forum...
True that.
Old 09-06-20, 05:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
had a lady go "Hi!" from across four car lanes going the opposite direction. Looked like a nice road bicycle. I waived.
Old 09-06-20, 05:53 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
What is the deal about never taking your hand off the bars. You know how to ride a bike or not?
I have no problem taking my hand or hands off the bars for a wave!! Sometimes it's a two-handed wave!!

Likes For trailangel:
Old 09-06-20, 06:29 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Do you realize how many of those 93 are comments about how funny it is that people keep starting these threads?
yep,
Old 09-07-20, 04:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I have no problem with this comment. @wolfchild is expressing an opinion that is relevant to the discussion. I do not understand those who take the time to read and comment on a thread they consider useless.
I'll be honest, I read these threads because it's funny how many people can post on a very clearly nonsense topic. There aren't just a few of these threads, there's several per year, and they all say exactly the same things because, face it, how much could there be to say? I do it vs. I don't do it, I care what others do vs. I don't. Somebody makes a joke about one-fingered waves,, etc.

My favorite ones are the angry, insulting posts accusing other people of a lack of civility.

I don't care if people want to start these, but if they do, it's way too much to ask to tell people that they can't goof on it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-07-20, 05:04 AM
Sorg67

I'll be honest, I read these threads because it's funny how many people can post on a very clearly nonsense topic. There aren't just a few of these threads, there's several per year, and they all say exactly the same things because, face it, how much could there be to say? I do it vs. I don't do it, I care what others do vs. I don't. Somebody makes a joke about one-fingered waves,, etc.

My favorite ones are the angry, insulting posts accusing other people of a lack of civility.

I don't care if people want to start these, but if they do, it's way too much to ask to tell people that they can't goof on it.
That is a fair point. Anything done in fun is worthwhile.

And I agree there is no place for anger and insults. Nobody has an obligation to wave or return a wave. I am a big waver but even I do not wave when I am navigating a stretch of road that requires my attention. Or if I am working hard to get up a hill.

But if you are going to goof on those of us who want to talk about waving then you have to be willing to be goofed on for the incongruity of clicking on and posting on a thread you feel is useless.

He who goofs on others must be willing to be goofed upon.
Likes For Sorg67:
Old 09-07-20, 05:05 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 587 Posts

But ... but ... whither teh Biek Forms w/o a good waving thread at least once a year?? This one has been particularly enjoyable; just the right mix of silly seriousness and nastiness to keep things interesting.

It is a bit out-of-season -- waving threads typically flower in the spring, usually reaching maturity about the same time as mup threads. I blame t'covid.

Anyway, as I've mentioned before I for one took measures to solve the problem. I can't be arsed to 'wave' but I figured that in the interests of civility I should affix one of these to my bars. Works a treat; can't recommend it highly enough.

Old 09-07-20, 06:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
That is a fair point. Anything done in fun is worthwhile.

And I agree there is no place for anger and insults. Nobody has an obligation to wave or return a wave. I am a big waver but even I do not wave when I am navigating a stretch of road that requires my attention. Or if I am working hard to get up a hill.

But if you are going to goof on those of us who want to talk about waving then you have to be willing to be goofed on for the incongruity of clicking on and posting on a thread you feel is useless.

He who goofs on others must be willing to be goofed upon.
I find it ironic that waving threads are like tides, there's a definite cycle.
I also find "why do you post about subjects you don't care about, who cares if you care?" posts to be the least self-aware posts on BF. They're also completely ironic.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-07-20, 10:50 PM
brunes83

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Sport, 2019 Cervelo P3

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OPC

Ahwatukee between 32nd and 40th St? My wife and I call it the Lakes Loop.

That's the one! The Lakewood Loop. We love this area. You'll probably find me either running or cycling at least a portion of the loop four days a week.
Likes For brunes83:
Old 09-08-20, 06:08 AM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Almost Always, Drifting Off Topic

I live in a rural area, cyclists, walkers, runners etc usually acknowledge each other; could be verbal, a nod or just a few raised fingers. In busier areas, I try to make eye contact, this is both for safety and acknowledgement. If a car or truck driver goes out of their way to give me wide clearance when passing or gives me the right of way when it is not necessary, I take my arm off the handle bars and give them a big friendly wave.I always ring my bell at kids on bikes or just playing by the road, again partly safety and partly to give them positive feelings about cycling and cyclists.

Maybe it is a result of my farm upbringing. It is rural etiquette for two farmers meeting on the road with tractors to wave or at least nod at each other. Can get a little tedious at harvest time if two neighbors are harvesting fields in the same area, you may meet each other with grain or bale wagons a dozen times a day. Super tedious in a large field if there is a combine crew harvesting, farmer "A" taking the grain, a custom baler baling the straw, farmer "B" taking the straw and the land owner sitting on the tailgate of his pickup truck collecting weigh slips .
Likes For John Foster:
Old 09-08-20, 09:15 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
You never know what the situation of the other person on a bike or walking is. They might be quite down, and a friendly wave might just cheer them up. Be kind to everyone.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-08-20, 09:37 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by royphotog
The 67 was a split window, an older bus, and I tended not to wave to those that had a newer, non-split.
In all communities, there is a very definite "pecking order" when it comes to waves. VW owners are the most stringent; an older VW owner will never wave to a Super Beetle or any of the later models with four-lug wheels. A 50s-era 6-volt driver would never wave to a 60s driver with his tacky "jungle gym" bumpers. Etc, etc.

Jeep CJ-7 owners don't wave at Wrangler drivers. I'm not even sure Wrangler drivers wave at each other any more; there are so many of them now that they'd get carpal tunnel if they tried to wave at each one.

Once, I was stopped at a red light behind a beautiful early-60s Corvette convertible, who was first at the red light. Across the intersection, there was a guy in a brand-new Corvette, coming our way. The lights turned green and we all started moving. I watched as the 60s-Corvette guy initiated a friendly wave but upon getting no wave in return, his wave turned into a middle-finger salute. All on one graceful move, very smooth.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-08-20, 07:08 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
All about energy efficiency and aerodynamics....
It's science!

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-revealed.html
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 09-11-20, 11:52 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
There's a guy who rides a roadie around Marina Del Rey who does this huge smile every time he passes by. It's awesome, I do it now too whenever I can remember to smile.
Likes For klasse:
Old 09-12-20, 08:00 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Exactly,

I always wave at my fellow grocery shoppers because we share a special connection.
Is that the common sentiment on the grocery shopping forum, I’ve never been.

Last edited by burritos; 09-12-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 01:47 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9522 Post(s)
Liked 6,266 Times in 3,454 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
In all communities, there is a very definite "pecking order" when it comes to waves. VW owners are the most stringent; an older VW owner will never wave to a Super Beetle or any of the later models with four-lug wheels. A 50s-era 6-volt driver would never wave to a 60s driver with his tacky "jungle gym" bumpers. Etc, etc.

Jeep CJ-7 owners don't wave at Wrangler drivers. I'm not even sure Wrangler drivers wave at each other any more; there are so many of them now that they'd get carpal tunnel if they tried to wave at each one.

Once, I was stopped at a red light behind a beautiful early-60s Corvette convertible, who was first at the red light. Across the intersection, there was a guy in a brand-new Corvette, coming our way. The lights turned green and we all started moving. I watched as the 60s-Corvette guy initiated a friendly wave but upon getting no wave in return, his wave turned into a middle-finger salute. All on one graceful move, very smooth.
Wrangler drivers often still wave to each other, but mostly from a modded Wrangler to another modded Wrangler. Drivers of topless/doorless Jeeps and two-door models tend to wave frequently. Housewives in 4 door Wranglers dropping kids at school or running to Target tend to be oblivious. In my 4 mile commute there are a handful of us Jeepers who always wave to each other. We all have aftermarket bumpers, lifts, etc. There are many, many more stock4-doors that don’t.

Porsche drivers always want to stop each other and talk about how their cars are God’s chariot (guilty myself).

Corvette owners are in their own world of denim shorts, mid-calf socks with shorts, etc. 😜

At the end of the day, a smile and friendly gesture always makes the world a little better place.
Old 09-12-20, 01:49 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Yes, of course.

Many threads spiral out of control when people start debating whether one hand should be left on the cart for safety reasons, if waving cart-free, where it is safe to park the cart, what to do when someone waves at you with your hands full (does a nod do the trick or do you finish bagging your produce and then wave), etc., etc.

Then there is the whole subset of folks that are relegated to the courtesy mobility scooters who scoff at those people who are upright - because it's easier to wave while seated in a rolling barcalounger.

So yes, there are a bunch of parallels to BF.
Do they debate on whether they should return the cart back to the "return cart" corral. While I have no scientific randomized control study, I'd theorize those that wave return the carts, those that don't, don't.
Likes For burritos:
Old 09-12-20, 01:51 PM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by burritos
Do they debate on whether they should return the cart back to the "return cart" corral. While I have no scientific randomized control study, I'd theorize those that wave return the carts, those that don't, don't.
Agree. Wavers are inherently better human beings than non-wavers.......
Old 09-12-20, 02:02 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by TexasVol1794
I’m into connecting with other human beings so I wave at other bikers when I ride, I wave at other runners when I run (even when overtaking them) and I will wave at cars driving past my house if I’m in the yard. It’s part of being a nice person and growing up in the South. It’s part of southern charm and being cordial.

I live in Central Texas. Austin to be more specific
Amen, bruv! I do the same thing - always greet and talk to those walking by the house whether I know them or not. Also wave to people driving by.

Did you ever notice that those who are the biggest critics of simple friendliest are from the Nawth East?

On a 10 mile MUP ride this morning, at least 40 bikers, runners, roller blades and walkers waved or said good morning or hi to me as we all enjoyed a refreshingly cool day. Didn’t know a single one of them. What’s left of Southern charm is a great thing.

Hook’em! 🤘
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-12-20, 02:06 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by burritos
The ones that leave cart free to run into cars out to simply be shot. Too many people are clueless about how their selfish conduct can adversely affect others.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-12-20, 03:00 PM
Mojo31
-------

20 years of ownership and waves are infrequent. Maybe once a month.

Never once have I wanted to stop and chat with another owner. That would be odd.
P car owners don’t wave - never said that. 911 tradition is to flash your lights. Have seen that a lot. I’ve had people pull up next to me in parking lots to talk about the cars. Must be that southern friendliness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.