Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

fantasy tour de france 2020 + general tdf discussion

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

fantasy tour de france 2020 + general tdf discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 06:52 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
having watched the replay several times, i don't think wout was expecting anyone to come up on his right between himself and the barriers. he knew s. bennett and ewan were on his left.
sagan didn't want to get jakobsened and i think his nudge carried more weight than it normally would have since wout wasn't expecting it. theoretically, sagan's nudge could have pushed
an unsuspecting wout into another rider on wout's left and caused a high-speed crash. should wout either have been another foot to the right (totally shutting off the sprinting pathway along the barriers)
or to the left? yes. was he? no. relegate sagan to the end of the group-fine. taking away previously earned points is punitive and seems petty.
Old 09-09-20, 07:18 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

for stage twelve, i like the sagan prediction/wish. think it will probably be a classics rider finish so that throws sagan, valverde, gva, naesen, benoot, kristoff, wout, ewan, ebh,
pedersen, impey, viviani, lutsenko and alaphilippe into the mix. picking gva for stage 12. the top of that last big climb (cat 2) is 25+ kms from the finish. that's a long ways from home.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-10-20 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-09-20, 07:41 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
for stage twelve, i like the sagan prediction/wish. think it will probably be a classics rider finish so that throws sagan, valverde, gva, naesen, benoot, kristoff, wout, ewan, ebh,
pedersen, impey, viviani, lutsenko and alaphilippe into the mix. picking gva for stage 12.
Valverde has been doing nothing. Caleb is going to get hammered on, or before the final climb. I don't think Kristoff will have the legs if he's in the final sprint. Wout will be used up if this turns into a GC battle. Not going to predict a winner, but wouldn't be surprised to see Peter and Kamna try to make it into the breakaway. Maybe we'll see Hirschi again too.
Old 09-09-20, 07:59 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Valverde has been doing nothing. Caleb is going to get hammered on, or before the final climb. I don't think Kristoff will have the legs if he's in the final sprint. Wout will be used up if this turns into a GC battle. Not going to predict a winner, but wouldn't be surprised to see Peter and Kamna try to make it into the breakaway. Maybe we'll see Hirschi again too.
1. yes but he's been close to the proceedings.
2. yes.
3. probably not.
4. wout probably will get "used" altho he had freedom today so i was wrong again, as usual.
5.would love to see it sagan is the best climber of the pure sprinters and at least in the middle of climbers of the classics sprinters. kamna is overdue...
6. can't wait to pick hirschi for the vuelta.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-09-20, 10:38 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by slcbob
Wow. I missed the live feed. Kept scrolling looking for Sagan in the stage standings. Scrolled quite aways past Bol, which was already quite aways. Finally gave up and hit Ctrl+F.

Even though I've got skin in the game, I can't call it total and utter BS, but it is surely a blow to my plans for Tour domination.

Apparently, in this Covid tour one messes with bottles, barging, and Rule 87 at one's own peril.
execute order 66...

https://www.starwars.com/video/execute-order-66

Last edited by diphthong; 09-10-20 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-09-20, 10:59 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

fascinating how ewan let the big boys pass him, then dialed it back up for the win. ballsy. rule 87 may yet still stand...

https://twitter.com/i/events/1274780454722273280

also interesting how sagan had his choice of wheels but stopped pedalling for a moment to follow wout's wheel vs ewan's or bennett's..

Last edited by diphthong; 09-10-20 at 02:45 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-10-20, 08:17 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Let's hope it doesn't come to that in the rest day testing, from Darth Covid and the French Chancellor of Health.

There may be a little Breaker Morant Rule 303 that sneaks in here and there.

Riders all over the road as I type this. No idea what the heck is going on. Carnage and pain, and some consolation prize breakaway points for LL Sanchez and me. My road captain Sagan needs to stay hard.

Last edited by slcbob; 09-10-20 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-10-20, 09:19 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Joyous result for the day and the cycling world, but I'me very disappointed in all of you. This result should have been obvious to absolutely anyone who was even just a tiny bit less as self-centered and boorish as me, worrying about their own problems and revenge and Velobucks investments. C'mon, y'all. I can understand me letting me down. I expected more from you.

Speaking of horrible predictions, take a look at post 152. Basically everybody who isn't being marked or pedaling squares is listed in there. Except for THE MAN.

How many years will this run, where someone fields a Hirschi-free team except at their own peril?
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-10-20, 02:48 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

stage thirteen looks to be a long day in the saddle and a perfect gc culling opportunity for those feeling good.. does de gendt finally go on a 80+km breakaway?
**horrible prediction alert cont.** thinking pogacar sneaks away in the last few meters or wins the sprint amongst a very select group to take the win.
Old 09-10-20, 03:37 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Well deserved for Hirschi. Seems like a nice kid. Another one of those up and coming young riders. The future is looking good for the sport!
BH kinda blew it for Sagan to get some needed points. They had control then they exploded their own ways.
Old 09-10-20, 04:50 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Here's my obtuse prediction: Bernal either wins this stage (or puts into the GC bunch if the break survives) or does not win Le Tour, perhaps not even the second step on the podium.

If Dani Martinez wins tomorrow as picked by David Hunter, despite the kiss of death that being on my team brings, then he deserves some extra UCI points and you will be able to knock me over with a feather.
Old 09-10-20, 04:55 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Kudos to the (s)pokes, who are still crushing it in the top 100 of the Gen Pop of Velogames. Well played, sir. Well played.

To clarify, that would be for the Great Big Bike Game XXII, not the far more hotly contested and insight-required race across the boot which to any serious pundit obviously does not get the respect or attention it deserves.
Old 09-10-20, 08:08 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Stage 13 prognostications: The silent man on my team, Maxime Chevalier, becomes the man on the horse he always goes around telling people he is and finally gets me a couple points.

AG2R and EF will try to put riders up the road to provide late stage support for their GC guys. LeTour and Powless? De Gendt, Skujins and Gaudu aussi? Would be a good day for Kamna too, but not after today.

Attack on penultimate climb will shed all but a couple strong men and the top GC contenders from the peloton. Pogacar will gain a place or two. Tipping him and Roglic to put the others in the top 15 under stress.
Old 09-10-20, 08:15 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Here's my obtuse prediction: Bernal either wins this stage (or puts into the GC bunch if the break survives) or does not win Le Tour, perhaps not even the second step on the podium.

If Dani Martinez wins tomorrow as picked by David Hunter, despite the kiss of death that being on my team brings, then he deserves some extra UCI points and you will be able to knock me over with a feather.
Too early for Bernal to do that. Stage 16 seems better suited for him.
Old 09-11-20, 12:34 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Too early for Bernal to do that. Stage 16 seems better suited for him.
I can agree with that. However, as you said in your prognostication, he will be being battered by Slovenians. There's enough mountains here that I think we'll see whether he can overcome those assaults in his current form, or he will succumb to them in the end of this Tour.

I don't think he'll muster a large attack, end up in yellow, or want to end up in yellow.
Old 09-11-20, 01:14 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

just maybe...oh?!...where did he end up on stage twelve? nfw?! glad to have another young punk stealing lunch money from the established vets. the punks are coming hard.

**edit...hirschi is close enough to the kom jersey that he could concentrate and possibly win that. in a first tour...that would be pretty special.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-11-20 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 01:33 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Kudos to the (s)pokes, who are still crushing it in the top 100 of the Gen Pop of Velogames. Well played, sir. Well played.

To clarify, that would be for the Great Big Bike Game XXII, not the far more hotly contested and insight-required race across the boot which to any serious pundit obviously does not get the respect or attention it deserves.
uhh...thanks, i think. bleep is about to hit the fan-big time in both games. the course on stage thirteen looks kinda dicey. didn't check the weather report but if there's rain, it'll be an absolute mess.
even with clear/dry weather, unfortunately expecting a few more crashes-at speed-and more than a few dnf's and/or time cut victims. on repeat for stages fifteen-eighteen.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-11-20 at 04:22 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-11-20, 01:41 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

so...here's a hypothetical....what if tejay goes on a breakaway bender? how much time/max time does the peleton give him? ef has been relatively quiet.
paired with de gendt...that would be quite the vet breakaway.**edit...hahahaha...tejay is in the early breakaway. what fresh hell is this?**

cyclingnews.com 03:07:41 pdt-Five riders have got a gap and Tejay van Garderen is there for EF but other riders are chasing them.

cyclingnews.com 03:19:22 pdt-There five riders left up front now: Rémi Cavagna (Deceuninck-Quick Step), Benoît Cosnefroy (AG2R-La Mondiale), Simon Geschke (CCC), Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-Quick Step) and Dan Martin (Israel Star Up Nation). But there (sic) lead is just 15 seconds.

cyclingnews.com 03:25:23 pdt-Thomas De Gendt (Lotto-Soudal) is trying to join the attack and is chasing solo. He faces a hard task, they're not going to wait for him, but he would add some power to the attack.

cyclingnews.com 03:26:12 pdt-But De Gendt is caught, despite Jumbo trying to block the peloton. A Total rider breaks their grip on the race and leads the chase.

cyclingnews.com 03:31:03 pdt-The five attackers lead the peloton by 1:30 but there are 13 chasers in the middle.

****c'mon tejay and de gendt... get your breakaway bleep together. at the onset, prob too early. halfway point? definitely. take that plunge. was gonna pick pinot to snag an upcoming stage 15-18 but if he wants to go early...

cyclingnews,com 03:36:24 pdt-The break leads by 1:45. There is a group of chasers but Pinot is on the move from the peloton too. This fast start is going to hurt everyone.

****someone's been reading their press clippings...
cyclingnews.com 3:47:28 pdt-Behind Dani Martinez (EF) has gone solo to join the first group of chasers.. However they're 1:00 behind and will need to make a huge effort. to go across.

cyclingnews.com 03:55:02 pdt-
The five attackers are Rémi Cavagna and Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-Quick Step), Simon Geschke (CCC) and Dan Martin (Israel Start-Up Nation).The chasers are not closing the gap and could soon be caught by the peloton. This is thrilling racing from the very start. It's a sign of what could come later on. ****less than thrilling math.
who's the last attacker? soler? ****edit...yah, looks like #97 soler.

cyclingnews.com 03:57:25 pdt-EF are trying to split the chasers, with Hugh Carthy working hard for Martinez. Sivakov is with them, as is David de la Cruz.****it's on, and this is just in the first fifth of the race...
prediction?...i think slcbob left it hanging around last fantasy/racing season...mr. t sez "pain." much oui.

cyclingnews.com 04:37:16 pdt-We have one big attack now, with the peloton at 5:30.The attackers are Julian Alaphilippe, Rémi Cavagna (Deceuninck-Quick Step), Simon Geschke (CCC Team), Marc Soler (Movistar Team), Dan Martin (Israel Start-Up Nation), Pavel Sivakov (Ineos Grenadiers), Lennard Kämna (Bora-Hansgrohe), Warren Barguil (Arkéa-Samsic), Hugh Carthy, Daniel Martínez, Neilson Powless (EF Education First) Nicolas Edet (Cofidis), David de la Cruz (UAE Team Emirates), Pierre Rolland (B&B Hotels-Vital Concept), Max Schachmann (Bora-Hansgrohe), Romain Sicard (Total Direct Energie) and Valentin Madouas (Groupama-FDJ). ****some serious street cred. madouas is having quite the tdf so far. i like the break's chances. no weak sisters in that bunch. woof. seems like all the big boys are repped except for team jv. so team jv will likely dial it up at the finish.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-11-20 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 01:50 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Joyous result for the day and the cycling world, but I'me very disappointed in all of you. This result should have been obvious to absolutely anyone who was even just a tiny bit less as self-centered and boorish as me, worrying about their own problems and revenge and Velobucks investments. C'mon, y'all. I can understand me letting me down. I expected more from you.

Speaking of horrible predictions, take a look at post 152. Basically everybody who isn't being marked or pedaling squares is listed in there. Except for THE MAN.

How many years will this run, where someone fields a Hirschi-free team except at their own peril?
yah...pretty much everyone mentioned in post #152 finshed together except for alaphilippe who had delusions of grandeur...a little over two mins down. enough riders from a late break held off the established classics mafia.
Old 09-11-20, 04:56 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

One of my new favorite cycling quotes, attributed to Ahlaphilippe by Ant & Simon: "I thought I had a problem with my gears, but then I realized it was just my legs." Or something thereabouts.

Juju is channeling slcbob on a bike.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-11-20, 05:00 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I missed the first little bit and how Tejay dropped from the break. Was there a turn?

Somehow, he managed to do that on his own. I didn't pick and curse him. I resisted the temptation.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-11-20, 05:37 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

I missed the first little bit and how Tejay dropped from the break. Was there a turn?

Somehow, he managed to do that on his own. I didn't pick and curse him. I resisted the temptation.
probably. i gotta crash noww. will catch the results at like...noon.
Old 09-11-20, 05:40 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

just maybe...oh?!...where did he end up on stage twelve? nfw?! glad to have another young punk stealing lunch money from the established vets. the punks are coming hard.

**edit...hirschi is close enough to the kom jersey that he could concentrate and possibly win that. in a first tour...that would be pretty special.
That was from before stage 12. I think he's got stages 14 and 19 marked for further escapades. If that gets him KOM, cool. I think he's more after stage wins.
Old 09-11-20, 05:49 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

That was from before stage 12. I think he's got stages 14 and 19 marked for further escapades. If that gets him KOM, cool. I think he's more after stage wins.
i had it as between stages 11 and 12 so giving you partial credit for the win on stage 12.
Old 09-11-20, 09:18 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Another nice outing by Powless! Too bad he couldn't keep it up but nevertheless a good show. Bernal=nothing. Nice to see some Bora boys up there for once.
Likes For 2cam16:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.