Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Catapulting Disc Brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Catapulting Disc Brakes

Old 09-26-20, 07:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrown3
I don't see the need or attraction of disk breaks on bikes. They are complicated, expensive and, as demonstrated in this thread, dangerous.

Rim brakes simple, reliable cheap and proven to do the job without the dangers mentioned above.

Who needs them?
You are utterly and totally clueless. Disc BRAKES are not dangerous. Riders that don't know how to control their braking are dangerous to themselves. There is a reason that nearly every other machine w/ brakes uses discs.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-26-20, 08:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
BTW ALL, the reason I'm asking the question is because I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm seriously considering disc brakes, simply because of the stopping power (I've heard of) during wet conditions. Can't tell you how long it took me to develop the skill of riding with virtually no brakes in the rain.
just rode my disk road bike today in the rain/downpour. First time with disks in the rain too. Was coming off a hill at 27 MPH and was able to quickly slow to 10 to make a hard right with zero drama. Certainly a different experience having the same braking on wet and dry. Not riding the calipered bikes in the rain now.

my 5 YO mtn bike has been through creeks, mud, rain and snow and nothing has kept it from meeting its appointed stop (with no drama).

Totally sold on disks. Ting, ting, ting.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-26-20 at 08:53 PM. Reason: I’m an idiot
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-26-20, 08:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Yes, your lack of experience. You've tootled around riding timidly for those 60+ years (if your claim that you have never fallen can be believed).

You obviously lack experience with the shortcomings of recumbents and tricycles on extended climbs, for example.

Another example, again based on your comments, is that you obviously lack the handling skills to ride normal bikes in crosswinds,

Another example would be the fact that a recumbent or a tricycle would absolutely suck on many gravel rides. Simply miserable.

So yes, "90% of cyclist would be better served on bents or trikes" does show your hilarious bias and lack of experience.
Man you are cold. And talking smack to an 82 year. Unbelievable You beat up small children too for kicks?

Old 09-27-20, 12:23 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Here is a drill you can do on regular or disk brakes:

Get in a parking lot somewhere, ride about 10 MPH, feather the back brake (real light pressure), then grab the front brake with increasing pressure. When you hear the rear wheel lock up and start to skid, that means you are about to go over. So the trick is to feather the back brake in a panic stop while braking as hard as you can with the front brake, while using the back wheel as your indicator as to how close you are to going over. So you modulate the front brake according to what the rear wheel is doing.

Or if you are like me, you apply enough front brake to keep the back wheel locked up, all the way into the telephone pole. This will mean you did the best you could before crashing.

Seriously, if you practice this often enough to get it into muscle memory, then you will do it automatically during every panic stop. If you get really good, then you can get the rear wheel to actually leave the ground and come back down again, which generates a bunny hop type action that will impress your friends. Tell them you learned this technique from Hans "No Way" Ray.

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-27-20 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-27-20, 01:16 AM
cjenrick

has anybody ever high sided a recumbent? that would be something to see,
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 09-27-20, 06:56 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by DenisH
Cracked neck from over the handlebars is why I ride a recumbent. Not learning how to panic stop was the cause. Hole in the road contributed. But learning that skill takes dedication and time in the saddle. Those of us who want to ride but not commit our life to it can choose alternative approaches to mitigate the risks. No reason to denigrate us for our choices.
You gotta look at the denigration.

Bent was getting denigrated for denigrating other riders for riding bikes, not trikes.

Nobody cares what he rides, just as long as he doesn't profess it to be a solution to the world's problems.
​​​​​​
Old 09-27-20, 09:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
Here is a drill you can do on regular or disk brakes:

Get in a parking lot somewhere, ride about 10 MPH, feather the back brake (real light pressure), then grab the front brake with increasing pressure. When you hear the rear wheel lock up and start to skid, that means you are about to go over. So the trick is to feather the back brake in a panic stop while braking as hard as you can with the front brake, while using the back wheel as your indicator as to how close you are to going over. So you modulate the front brake according to what the rear wheel is doing.

Or if you are like me, you apply enough front brake to keep the back wheel locked up, all the way into the telephone pole. This will mean you did the best you could before crashing.

Seriously, if you practice this often enough to get it into muscle memory, then you will do it automatically during every panic stop. If you get really good, then you can get the rear wheel to actually leave the ground and come back down again, which generates a bunny hop type action that will impress your friends. Tell them you learned this technique from Hans "No Way" Ray.
Seriously, what percentage of bicycle riders are ever going to sufficiently practice any type of braking drill in a controlled area to allegedly create a so-called "muscle memory" that will protect them from a bicycle feature that is otherwise likely to catapult them over the handlebars when used in a panic situation? Are all "untrained" cyclists put at increased risk because the braking capability of disk brakes requires such drills in order to use them safely when most needed?

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Probably the most overlooked, most controversial advice to reduce risk of end-overs is reducing body weight. Since we ride on top of our upright bikes, the heavier we get, the higher c.o.g is and high c.o.g lowers braking threshold before you end-over which is a bad thing and increases braking distance. Heavy riders on super lightweight bikes are at biggest risk, especially those who ride TT bikes where the c.o.g is closer to the front.
Seriously, it is even less likely than practicing brake drills that cyclists will voluntarily lose significant weight just to protect them from the end-over tendencies of their bicycle.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-27-20, 12:02 PM
cjenrick

well, i practiced that method and now it comes automatic, use it every day, been like that for about 46 years now. Greg Lemond taught me that trick.

i bet every pro jock out there uses that same trick,

worked great until i bought a used bike and the guy had the left and right levers swapped, almost killed myself the first time out, locked up the back tire while the front brake did nothing. flat spotted the gatorskin dang!

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-27-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 12:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by cjenrick
well, i practiced that method and now it comes automatic, use it every day, been like that for about 46 years now. Greg Lemond taught me that trick.

i bet every pro jock out there uses that same trick,
Perhaps sales of bicycles with brakes that require lessons from pros like Greg Lemond to be used safely should be limited to "pro jocks."

Selling bicycles as safe, normal and ready for general use by the public that in fact may require special techniques and training to be used safely sounds like a page out of the Corvair chapter of Unsafe at Any Speed by Ralph Nadar.
Old 09-27-20, 12:47 PM
cjenrick

No.

Everybody who rides a bike could benefit from learning this simple technique.

It is even online:

12. Practise your braking

Find yourself an empty road and practise braking. Pull both levers but favour the front one; make it about 75% with your front brake, 25% with your rear brake. Try pulling the levers harder and stopping sooner, just to the point where the rear tyre is about to skid. If the rear wheel does skid, release the brake to allow it to move again. The idea is that learn how hard you can brake while retaining control."

here is a good one>

https://www.google.com/search?q=cycl...80PEP_rSDqAs33

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-27-20 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 11:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
What about that time when you were captured by the french after scaling the castle walls and were catapulted back on your own troops, fatally injuring the chaplain and standard bearer.
You get a pass if you stick the landing.
Old 09-28-20, 06:46 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
in my limited experience, but having ridden most types of brakes, I seem to get used to the feel of the brakes in just a short while and don't recall ever having been concerned with "catapulting" during braking. disc brakes seem to have great modulation and I would think would lessen the catapult effect. maybe you are positioned on the bike wrong and have weight too far forward while riding and should try a bike fitting?

my mom taught me not to stare at the sun....
Old 09-28-20, 08:18 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Braking is an acquired skill, no matter what you're riding. Do you expect a teenager on their first drive to do everything perfectly and safely? No. Why is this an expectation for bikes? Bikes require just as much skill as driving.

Edit: I use my front brake only. Power move, I know.

Last edited by Ferrouscious; 09-28-20 at 11:03 AM.
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 09-28-20, 08:35 AM
SteelBanana

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Any Harley rider care to explain how using the front brake causes you to superman.
Not a Har-lee rider because I'm more discerning about my machinery, but they all know you have to rev the engine and "lay 'er down" because that front brake will kill you.
Old 09-28-20, 10:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Braking is an acquired skill, no matter what you're riding. Do you expect a teenager on their first drive to do everything perfectly and safely? No. Why is this an expectation for bikes? Bikes require just as much skill as driving.
I suppose that is a cue for recommended training classes, videos, books and/or club memberships so that every bicyclist (without training wheels) can use their bicycle safely. Sounds like an invitation for Safety Nannys to team up with club cyclists and some infamous "b'crats" to demand the same licensing regimens and requirements as motorists for every bicyclist, no matter what their age, in order to prove they have the required skill to ride a bicycle safely like "every pro jock." That must be the cost for allegedly improved braking systems for non racing bicycles.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-28-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 11:02 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I suppose that is a cue for recommended training classes, videos, books and/or club memberships so that every bicyclist (without training wheels) can use their bicycle safely. Sounds like an invitation for Safety Nannys to team up with club cyclists and some infamous "b'crats" to demand the same licensing regimens and requirements as motorists for every bicyclist, no matter what their age, in order to prove they have the required skill to ride a bicycle safely like "every pro jock." That must be the cost for allegedly improved braking systems for non racing bicycles.
And what do you, sir, bring to the table? Riderless bikes?
Old 09-28-20, 11:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
And what do you, sir, bring to the table? Riderless bikes?
Isn't that what happens to bikes equipped with allegedly Catapulting Disc Brakes when ridden by unskilled (i.e. not pro jocks) bicyclists who have not properly trained the memory of their muscles?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-28-20, 11:31 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Who would have thought braking causes such anxiety? Anyway, barring wet carbon or whatnot, properly functioning brakes can throw you off if you just squeeze the levers full force at speed, rim or disc.

I must say that I never felt fearful that my bike would catapult me. I do give it a good clean after every filthy ride to placate the fickle disc brake spirits.

​​​​​​
​​​​
Old 09-28-20, 12:02 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
[QUOTE=SurferRosa;21716856]What about that time when you were captured by the french after scaling the castle walls and were catapulted back on your own troops, fatally injuring the chaplain and standard bearer.[/QUOTE ]

> LOVE compelled me to do what my Lord forbade. The chaplain had heard my confession the night before. He had blessed my plan but with doubt. The standard bearer had been with us since Agincourt. He carried the gift of tongues and in the whisper of a holy ghost wished me caution. Their deaths are small reminders that faith & absolution are short lived. Alas, I am now a knight without sword or shield, discharged by my Lord and wanting for the maiden of the high castle walls. Learnath my lesson friends, know how to stop and how to slow and never risk a catapult's blow
Old 09-28-20, 01:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
OBVIOUSLY improper technique, since most cyclists don't pole-vault themselves over their handlebars every time they hit the brakes. You just need to learn how to modulate your grip. I was always taught that braking forces are roughly 70% on the front wheel and 30% on the rear. The reason being that as braking increases, weight is transferred to the front wheel, which lifts the rear wheel and eventually can cause what you describe. The solution is to back off ease off on the front brake lever when the rear wheel starts to lift/skid. This requires awareness. I usually use 3 fingers on the front brake and 1 finger on the rear brake, that way the forces are automatically proportioned in roughly the correct amounts.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-28-20, 01:20 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Look ... all of you out there clutching your pearls about getting through over the bars, just ride a bike with coast brakes. You'll be fine.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-28-20, 02:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Look ... all of you out there clutching your pearls about getting through over the bars, just ride a bike with coast brakes. You'll be fine.
Coaster Brakes ARE good for a lot of general cycling tasks that people do every day, and don't require "pro jock training drills" to be used safely. But taking seriously the "pro jocks" training requirements/skills needed to ride safely as stated by the self described cognoscenti of BF General Bicycling is enough to make one clutch his pearls.
Old 09-28-20, 03:02 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Coaster Brakes ARE good for a lot of general cycling tasks that people do every day, and don't require "pro jock training drills" to be used safely. But taking seriously the "pro jocks" training requirements/skills needed to ride safely as stated by the self described cognoscenti of BF General Bicycling is enough to make one clutch his pearls.
I'm not knocking coaster brakes, I've got them on one of my bikes. Great for casual rides.

But I really like disc brakes when riding in rain, snow, slush, mud, gravel, .... The disc brakes make it easier to control the bike when rim brakes can struggle. And this makes disc brakes less "pro jock" and safer for the average dork on a bike in non-sunny conditions.
Old 09-28-20, 04:28 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I've been riding for over 30 years and have yet to try out the relatively new Disc Brakes. In the early years I catapulted over the handlebars on at least two occasions and nearly catapulted at least two other times, before it became instinct for me to squeeze the rear brake first.
The problem is you squeezing the front too hard, not that you squeezed it first.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-28-20, 05:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
The problem is you squeezing the front too hard, not that you squeezed it first.
Another problem (at least for non "pro jocks) is that controlled modulation and/or proper sequencing of front/rear brake application, as well as other enthusiast recommended techniques sometimes suggested on BF like shifting body weight to the rear prior to application of front brakes is easier said (or performed in practice drills in an empty parking lot) than done suddenly in traffic during an unplanned emergency/panic braking situation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.