Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Herculean task

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Herculean task

Old 08-10-20, 03:42 PM
Emarch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Herculean task

I recently acquired a 1940's era Hercules out of Birmingham. The hub is an AType9, which may indicate that it was built between 1943 and 1951. Any comments on that?
An issue that has revealed itself is that the dovetail brake pads are slightly narrower than the modern versions. Are there replacements available? Can a modern pad be carved down at the dovetail to fit the narrower slot without compromising safety?
Old 09-17-20, 12:33 PM
Emarch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another issue with my Hercules is the shifter. It has a SA shifter but I can’t seem to tune it to where all three gears click. I can’t get combinations of two but the third one is always in between.
Does the AType9 require a Hercules shifter?o
Old 09-17-20, 12:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Emarch
Another issue with my Hercules is the shifter. It has a SA shifter but I can’t seem to tune it to where all three gears click. I can’t get combinations of two but the third one is always in between.
Does the AType9 require a Hercules shifter?o
Welcome aboard, glad you found us.

We need pics, good ones and lots of them.

You need 5 posts X 2 days for 10 to post them, anti-spam security measure that serves us very well.

Respond separately to any posts here and others that interest you to get there.

You can post them to a gallery and they may get added here.

No expert here but the shifting issue may be in the hub but we'll get to that.
Old 09-17-20, 01:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,031 Times in 1,245 Posts
and yes to carving the pads.
Old 09-17-20, 01:52 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
To determine whether you have a hub or a shifter problem, try putting your bike on a shop stand and pulling on the shift cable while you turn the cranks. You should get third gear (wheel turns faster than rear cog) with the cable slack, and first gear (wheel turns more slowly than the cog) with the cable pulled taut. As you ease the cable slightly from the taut / first gear position, you should be able to engage second gear, in which the cog and wheel rotate at the same speed. This is also the gear you use when adjusting cable length.

When I converted an old 10-speed into a 3-speed, I just used the old Huret friction shift lever -- all the way back for first, slightly above first for second, and then all the way forward for third, with neutral between 2nd and 3rd. Since mine had a coaster brake, that free/neutral position was extremely convenient while waiting for red lights at intersections.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-17-20, 06:03 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Are the pads similar to the narrow and 48mm long pads used on Raleighs of the time? If so, there are some NOS pads on eBay, though the seller does mention they're rock hard.

I ordered a pair and plan to dunk them in a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and wintergreen oil to see if I can bring them back to life. Already did with one unmarked-brand pad from the 1960's to great success. Admittedly, a used Fibrax pad in the same solution didn't do so well, but the Fibrax pads always appeared to be of a slightly different rubber compound than the rest.

-Kurt