Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is there ANYONE riding on the West Coast today?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is there ANYONE riding on the West Coast today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 01:32 PM
dunkleosteus
on the wheels of steel

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
The sky was blue in Long Beach and the AQI was below 100 so I thought I could swing a loop through Portuguese Bend. By the top of the first climb I could taste the air, so I went home, wheezing a bit on the drive back, bleh
Old 09-17-20, 01:46 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I was kidding. Here on the far NorCal coast our prevailing wind is from the northwest, and my commute around Humboldt Bay is kind of C-shaped, so I never get a tailwind for more than 1/4 mile. I grew up in Tracy, at the end of the Altamont Pass, where the only time the wind stops the temps climb to 110F. Probably more these days. I also lived in L.A., so I remember the horror of the Santa Anas. We even got it here once; that day we got a strong hot wind from the east, it freaked everyone right the hell out.
I grew up in Livermore at the other (west) end of the Altamont Pass. Yeah, that pass is a natural wind funnel, all most always from Livermore toward Tracy. (The really fun days are when it is both windy and stupid hot.) There's a reason why it has had so many wind turbines there since the late 1970s. When I graduated from high school in 1975, there wasn't a single one up there. By 1980, the pass was crawling with them, and it has been ever since.
Old 09-17-20, 05:17 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I grew up in Livermore at the other (west) end of the Altamont Pass. Yeah, that pass is a natural wind funnel, all most always from Livermore toward Tracy. (The really fun days are when it is both windy and stupid hot.) There's a reason why it has had so many wind turbines there since the late 1970s. When I graduated from high school in 1975, there wasn't a single one up there. By 1980, the pass was crawling with them, and it has been ever since.
Ha, I just went through there (Altamont), earlier this year, by bicycle. I’ve posted about a million pics in the touring forum, and quite a few of them are of those crazy wind turbines. I think I must have an unhealthy obsession with them, or something. 🤔😁
Old 09-17-20, 06:39 PM
mattk42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Last night the sky around me cleared up, looked practically normal! But today back into the 200-300+ AQI range.
Old 09-17-20, 06:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Takeaways:

Keep a dozen furnace filters on hand
Keep a car air cleaner on hand
Keep emergency instant coffee on hand
Fix the door gaskets
Enjoy clean air when it's back
Old 09-18-20, 01:32 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
If, for some reason, you want that exact frame in that exact color in a slightly larger size, I've got one you can have for free. PM me.

That is really a unique colorway, and I have no idea what they were thinking.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-18-20, 03:25 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
If, for some reason, you want that exact frame in that exact color in a slightly larger size, I've got one you can have for free. PM me.

That is really a unique colorway, and I have no idea what they were thinking.
Wow! That’s a very cool offer. Not sure if I can turn that down. I became quite fond of it after spending time with it. Is it not desirable, generally?
Old 09-18-20, 03:36 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
Wow! That’s a very cool offer. Not sure if I can turn that down. I became quite fond of it after spending time with it. Is it not desirable, generally?
Mid 70s Mirage; pretty close to a bottom rung bike. Mine is rustier than yours, but an oxalic bath would go a long way to making it presentable again:

The BB would almost certainly require a PB Blaster soak before coming off, and the drive side crank arm is bent, so that has to go. I didn't put much effort into trying to get it apart; just stripped the wheels and other parts needed for a different bike at the time.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-18-20, 03:41 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
The low pressure system that blew into the San Joaquin (and has actually caused quite a bit of rain to fall sporadically in the valley and up in the Sierras) last night brought the AQI down below 100, so I decided to go jogging on a break at work just now. I've been working out indoors again for a couple of weeks and have only gone for several runs or bicycle rides since mid-summer when work got busy, so I am not in top form by any means.

That said, I only ran for four minutes before I had to stop and walk, and since it's about 90 degrees outside I was sweating a lot by then. After a few minutes I turned a corner and started jogging again, and kept it up until I was around the long country block and back by the facility, for about ten more minutes. I don't feel bad but I can tell that the conditions are not ideal by a long shot for doing much outside yet. Still, if the sub-100 points keep up and I can at least see the sky overhead, I might try to make that my target for getting outside more.

-Gregory

(As a point of reference, just before the smoke got bad and I stopped running I did a 5k in 22m30s. Right now in these conditions I think I can barely run a mile straight, period.)
Old 09-18-20, 03:45 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
AirNow.gov says 126 in Beaverton right now. Too bad I'm supposed to be working. Looks like a rain-or-shine ride tomorrow (need to try out my Clunker 100 bike!) and maybe a longer outing on Sunday.

@gugie, you may yet make it through the month without your wife locking you in the Atelier.
Old 09-18-20, 03:56 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Glorious, glorious rain today.

Portlandeurs, who's up for a celebratory ride this weekend? The Neal Lerner Invitational route on the west side is proposed, and includes 3 different potential food stops (pastries, pizza, burgers), the last two with proper rehydration (rule 47)

Old 09-18-20, 04:09 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
I’m in!
Old 09-18-20, 04:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Old 09-18-20, 04:15 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

@Oldairhead is rummored to be a Portlandeur now, I've seen others purportedly residing in Riot City, help me tag some more peeps...
Old 09-18-20, 04:41 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
@Oldairhead is rummored to be a Portlandeur now, I've seen others purportedly residing in Riot City, help me tag some more peeps...
Hmmm, how far out of the bubble does the label "Portlandeur" extend? We are about 15 miles from downtown now. And how long does it take to become a local here anyway? We moved from Utah so perhaps that give us priority over Californians, right?
For 10 years we had a small condo in the Pearl District (the bubble within the bubble) but sold that a couple of years ago. Back then we used to call those who did not reside in the city "bridge and tunnel people." Others we knew called the suburbs nice things like Vantucky, Beavertron, Hellsboro and Gresham was known as Felony Flats (not me of course!)
I guess I'm a bridge and tunnel person now.

P.S Thanks for the invite but I can't ride this weekend. Rain-check?

Last edited by Oldairhead; 09-18-20 at 04:44 PM. Reason: omission
Old 09-18-20, 04:47 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Hmmm, how far out of the bubble does the label "Portlandeur" extend? We are about 15 miles from downtown now. And how long does it take to become a local here? We moved from Utah so perhaps that give us priority over Californians, right?
For 10 years we had a small condo in the Pearl District (the bubble within the bubble) but sold that a couple of years ago. Back then we used to call those who did not reside in the city "bridge and tunnel people." Others we knew called the suburbs nice things like Vantucky, Beavertron, Hellsboro and Gresham was known as Felony Flats (not me of course!)
I guess I'm a bridge and tunnel person now.
I think Portlandeur is a state of mind. If you're in reasonably short riding distance of Portland, I guess that counts, so it's a sliding scale. @northbend would be on the extreme side of the definition, but he's been down enough times for rides that we think of him as one of ours.

I think we met briefly at Eroica Cali, of course it would be great to ride with you!
Old 09-18-20, 05:02 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
I never thought I would be happy to have 'poor' air quality
Old 09-18-20, 05:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Supposed to have clean air on Thurs.
Well, that didn't happen. Not sure if I should be upset our two-day forecast (below) was completely off all week or appreciative that they gave me more short-term hope.

https://www.iqair.com/us/usa/washington/seattle
Old 09-18-20, 05:41 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Takeaways:

Keep a dozen furnace filters on hand
Keep a car air cleaner on hand
Keep emergency instant coffee on hand
Fix the door gaskets
Enjoy clean air when it's back
And an ounce of prevention isn’t always better than a pound of cure. (Prevention only looks like a sure thing in retrospect.)
Or, rebuilding what the waves destroy is more effective than commanding the tide to roll back, much as we might wish otherwise. (Although if you time the command just right, it’ll look impressive to someone who’s never seen the sea.)
Old 09-18-20, 06:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Ha, that’s about how I feel right now, but without the rain. 🤔🙄

Someone stole my bike & most of my belongings not that long ago, back in Sacramento, so I was forced to upgrade from a newer aluminum Bianchi, to an older steel Bianchi. Poor me. 😁

I just rode down today, from Davis to Vacaville, and saw these dudes out munching grass. One of them started looking at me kinda funny, so I got moving, lol. I’ve heard old farmers’ tales, of bulls breaking down fences of various types, and don’t care to get skewered, thank you. 😲😁

Old 09-18-20, 06:10 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

BTW, the AQI thingy for San Francisco was 29 when I checked it, right before posting here. 😎
Old 09-18-20, 06:37 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I think Portlandeur is a state of mind.
I think we've all got a little bit of left coast, particularly Portland, in us, after the last few months, and the last few weeks. "Ich bin ein Portlandeur".
Does a Neal Lerner ride generally involve an inordinate focus on food and drink?

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 09-18-20 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 07:08 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Today and yesterday were both fairly normal air quality here near the So Cal coast. There was no smoke, no haze, a blue sky, puffy white clouds up high and a gentle breeze out of the south west.

I know I have been luckier than most to be able to keep riding. I have family near Oak Glen and Yucaipa (the "El Dorado" fire caused during a gender reveal party). They would not leave. The fire burned right up to the road but stopped just on the other side. Thank God for that. Others a very short distance away were not so lucky. They were wiped out.

Stay safe and healthy, everyone.
Old 09-18-20, 07:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I think we've all got a little bit of left coast, particularly Portland, in us, after the last few months, and the last few weeks. "Ich bin ein Portlandeur".
Not me.

I wave at police and smile, and haven’t burned, looted, or vandalized in quite a while.

The wildfire smoke smell is now in St. Louis.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-18-20 at 07:17 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-18-20, 08:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Does a Neal Lerner ride generally involve an inordinate focus on food and drink?
Interestingly, I've only known Neal personally since that particular ride. Since then we've done 2 FFD tours together, The Last Winter Tour of the Willamette Valley, the Magical Mystery Tour, and an Eroica. Brothers from a different mother, as it were. I can tell you that after all of that riding, socializing, and sharing, there is one thing that Neal focuses on, and it's coffee. The man will drink coffee from morning till night. An inordinate focus, as it were.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.