Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Bike shops in Brooklyn, NY

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Bike shops in Brooklyn, NY

Old 09-08-08, 10:49 AM
ml242

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakerock

As for loaning tools... Im on his side about that. I have a recording studio, and if people came by and asked to borrow microphones I would say no, or charge them to use.
His business is repairing bikes.
you know, this is my first post here. I despise that guy on Grand, he tried to charge my GF 85 dollars for a derailler adjustment. I just don't know what his problem is.

But, I only registered to say that the difference between a bike shop and a recording studio is that most recording studios don't hang a sign on the street, or expect walk-ins. With a bike shop, I'd assume they make up 40 percent of your business.

"Hey can I buy a used bike?"
"Hey, do you sell gloves, it's freezing out."

and so on and so on.

So when someone comes in for a tool, for a quick fix like a seat adjustment, or a spot of air, or something simple like that you basically have to do it for them if you ever want them to come back.
Old 09-08-08, 10:50 AM
JFO-NY
geekracer

Bikes: Cervelo soloist team, schwinn madison, 1986 vintage bottechia, voodoo mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S'lope alternatives

There is a closer shop - the name escapes me and I can't find them on the internet but they're on 7th ave bet 13th -14th, next to the Union Market.

That said - I usually end up at R&A, though service is biased towards those who know what they are looking for already and are ready to spend.
Old 09-08-08, 10:55 AM
canonizer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jakerock
Yeah, that guy on Grand is a real peckerhead.

As for loaning tools... Im on his side about that. I have a recording studio, and if people came by and asked to borrow microphones I would say no, or charge them to use.
His business is repairing bikes.
Just to follow up, an indestructible wrench or key is different than a very abusable mic or mixer. And bicycling is a community venture. Treat people well and they'll come back to you for parts and service. And you should especially treat people well if they've BEEN purchasing stuff at your shop.

If you had a longtime recording client (hypothetically, 2 records and 50+ days in your studio), and they were totally hard up for a mic for a concert one night, wouldn't you, out of appreciation for past work and interest in future business, lend it to him?

Last edited by canonizer; 09-08-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 01:05 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrCrassic
Mr C's Bicycle Shop
4622 7th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11220
Phone: (718) 438-7283

The three people that run it are very knowledgeable and helpful. The prices for some of their items are a little over MSRP, but they have some amazing deals on clothing and other things. They sell mostly Cannondale and Specialized, and their selection is varied, but not as large as I've seen at some other shops. The maintenance they provide is great!
Actually, I recall this entry (sorry that I didn't post any sooner).

After a few more times going there, I hated the fact that they ALWAYS treated me like I had never entered their shop before. The owner was a nice person at first, but seems to get offended when I don't buy parts from him (despite the fact that they are cheaper everywhere else). Going to their shop is always awkward, and I shouldn't feel that way. Their inventory is okay, but for road bikes R&A is MUCH better. It sucks that this is the case, since they are really close to me.

I really like Bay Ridge Bike Shop; they make you feel really comfortable, even if it's for something small. Tune-ups are done REALLY QUICKLY, and they are probably the best place to go to for repairs (cheap and quick). The only bite I have is that they leave grease on my frame sometimes, but it's no big deal to wipe it off. Their road bike selection is pretty rank, though, since they seem to be mostly a mountain bike op.

It seems that the consensus stands:

R&A for the super serious bike purchase and Bay Ridge Bicycles for the repair.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces

Last edited by MrCrassic; 09-08-08 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 04:41 PM
FrankieV

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're in my end of Brooklyn, Roy's on Coney Island Ave. has some really good mechanics
who don't nickel-dime you on minor repairs or adjustments.
A nice, well deserved, tip will get you remembered on your next trip there.
Old 09-09-08, 10:10 AM
ml242

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Good bike shop

Bicycle Station on Vanderbilt.

Those guys are awesome mechanics, with A+ attitudes. They'll build you a custom ride from a used frame in stock, true a wheel with zero attitude. It's not far from Prospect park if the other shops are giving you problems, and the prices are totally fair.

Also:

Affinity on Grand.

Jason will really try to make you happy there, and will go out of his way to turn a bike around fast if you need something quickly. Good experiences dealing with him, even though they're really out to sell their custom (and nice looking) fixies. They also have nice accessories for a small LBS.

And

I want to second B's on driggs. Ethan and Brendan are totally awesome to deal with. Prices are good. Close to McCarren. If you live in Williamsburg or Greenpoint, there's no reason to hit any other place first.
Old 09-12-08, 08:47 AM
canonizer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd rather not resurrect a very old thread but here's one from a few years ago: https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-120869.html

B's owner announces his opening. Spokes and Strings (NYCBikes) get kind of trashed. And one guy really likes that wrench on lorimer next to the italian men's club.
Old 09-12-08, 01:04 PM
Johannes

Bikes: 2007 Pedalforce RS full Dura-Ace Road Bike / 2006 Spezialized Sirrus Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R&A is a nice shop to look at bling. prices are high. almost everything is at MSRP.

two choices to be treated by the R&A guys:

A: you will be looked down upon if you don't buy something because "you can't afford it anyway"

B: you will be looked down upon because "you are a sucker for paying the inflated price"
Old 09-12-08, 01:09 PM
canonizer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Johannes
R&A is a nice shop to look at bling. prices are high. almost everything is at MSRP.

two choices to be treated by the R&A guys:

A: you will be looked down upon if you don't buy something because "you can't afford it anyway"

B: you will be looked down upon because "you are a sucker for paying the inflated price"
Heads I win/Tails you lose.
Old 06-27-09, 01:25 PM
arttatum

Bikes: Dahon Speed D7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new Brooklyn Bicycles in Park Slope is worth checking out

https://www.yelp.com/biz/brooklyn-bicycles-brooklyn
Old 06-30-09, 11:36 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyTSO
stopped by R&A cycles this afternoon. Can't understand their policy - how can one determine which bike is good for them if the customer is not even allow to test the bike out (not even on a trainer)?

If you want a Cervelo they have or had some leftovers at good prices.
Old 07-20-09, 01:42 PM
cointelpro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience at R&A is that if you don't have a lot of money to spend, they don't really show any interest in helping you. Maybe I'm not worth their time, I don't know. I don't have thousands to drop on a bike, but now I go out of my way to buy anything else I need at Dixon's or Bicycle Station (which has moved to Park and Adelphi, under the BQE).

I also had a terrible experience at On The Move on 7th Ave in Park Slope. I got a flat changed there once and they pinched the tube and didn't inflate it all the way. When I got home and pumped it up, the tube blew up on me, but they refused to fix it unless I paid for a flat repair again! I used to spend a lot of money on random stuff there, but no more.
Old 08-06-20, 01:27 PM
bike2thespot

Bikes: '86 Trek 400 Elance D, '85 Univega Gran Rally, '91 Univega Alpina Country

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
+1 for Roy's if you're in South Brooklyn. Even though they've been swamped with all the new riders we've got out of the pandemic they still will take the time to work with you and make sure you're getting just what you need. They've been helpful with my tool selection as I've been working on a couple project bikes.
Old 08-10-20, 06:52 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Old thread, shops have come and gone. Roy's and R&A are still there. It kind of says something.
Old 08-10-20, 07:58 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Realize this is an old post but just an update: "B's Bikes" in Greenpoint Brooklyn is STILL where I go to buy new bar-tape or to have a free wheel removed that requires a tool I don't own (otherwise I never go to bike shops)
These guys have always been good to work with and reasonable. Rare nice dudes. The owner ( recently ?) sold the shop to his head mechanic business seems to be humming along.
Less than two miles from my place, so an easy jaunt. Missing the NOW CLOSED Re- Cycle -A - Bicycle parts bin in Dumbo. I am guessing the NYC branch is not as good but haven't researched that as of yet.

I might be the only person who misses the GRUMPY RUSSIAN DUDE who had a shop on GRAND STREET he was downstairs from me so I pretty much would have to go in there now and again. Bought a nice rear wheel from him which he had built - up. Was good for hard to find parts he could order them almost overnight with no shipping charges etc. in some ways he was really easy to work with. He said he was moving to Austin TX. I hardly ever saw him smile...

Last edited by kraftwerk; 08-10-20 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-22-20, 07:25 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Please pass this along:

The text is embedded on the photo