Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lock your damn bikes!!!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lock your damn bikes!!!

Old 09-22-20, 05:29 PM
windy7777
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
there is a guy i see at walmart who looks his bike to a 3 foot pole. i wonder if he knows someone can just pick it up lol
Old 09-22-20, 05:31 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I recently finished a 9 day tour across PA. Camped 6 of the 8 nights. Locked the bike one night. Never locked it while grocery shopping. That’s pretty much SOP when I tour.

I had a bike stolen from inside my house while I was home and awake.
You did carry your 12 gauge on your tour, right?
Old 09-22-20, 07:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
You did carry your 12 gauge on your tour, right?
My spokes are 14 gauge, so no.
Old 09-22-20, 09:49 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Yep, the only time cars are in the drive is if the kids are home or we have guests. We live in one of "those types" of neighborhoods where people park in their garages. Wouldn't have it any other way. I also have one of "those" types of garages where you can walk without getting your feet dirty.

I'd never go in the house!
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 09-22-20, 10:01 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
You can pick bike locks faster than you can angle grind them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSuaUok-wTY
Commuting to werk, I'd never leave a bike outside unattended even on a busy street in a populated area
https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickin...ry=bike%20lock
And you've obviously either not worked with law enforcement and understand ACTUAL bicycle theft data, or are simply being dishonest. Lock picking is a statistical non-issue. I worked with campus police when our university was #1 in the world for bike theft. Picking locks NEVER happened. The big urban myth was liquid nitrogen. Everyone talked about it and feared it, but the cops said, "Nope, it isn't used." Urban myths abound. So you can THINK lock picking is a problem, but it isn't. Plus, rampant bike theft only ramped up to epidemic levels with cheap 18V portable grinders. Wow, what a coincidence.

Analogous story: "bumping" locks. This was a HUGE issue in the media 10 years ago. "OMG, thieves are using bump keys to BREAK INTO YOUR HOME!" So everyone was scrambling to buy $300 bump proof Medeco and similar locks. Problem is, bumping locks was rare. Plus, what good is a $300 unpickable door lock when it's next to a window pane easily broken? Don't fall for the hype. (The one famous exception was the Bic Pick method which Kryptonite stood behind and addressed.)

"Lockpicking Lawyer" today's thieves are not. They're cutting your locks with grinders.

Decaf? Hey people, just sharing some valuable advice. Bike theft in the SF Bay Area has always been bad. Well now it's epidemic. Kryptonite NY Fugeddaboudit u-locks used to be impenetrable - or at least a 10 minute ordeal to cut. Now it's less than 60 seconds. Same with Kryptonite's largest chains. Like buttah!

So if you think my post is alarmist, fine, don't read it. But for those of you who value your bikes, think about security. Or at least upgrading that homeowners or renters insurance policy!

No, I have not had any bikes stolen from my garage. I'm careful to not leave the door open more than necessary. And yes, when this got really bad, I augmented my security. It's not IF a lock can be broken (they all can), it's HOW MUCH EFFORT IT TAKES. Thieves are lazy and stupid by nature, so they tend to go for the soft targets (thus my rant about unlocked "beloved" bikes sitting around). Like the saying, "You don't have to outrun the bear, just ONE of your friends!" Ergo, your bike lock doesn't have to be the best, just better than those around you. Now I'm not advocating for those with cheaper locks deserving theft, but you simply have to make the odds in your favor.

PS I do happen to own the Altor SAF u-lock, 13 pounds and $300. I'm a lock fanatic, so I HAD to give it a try. It's solid, but a pain for everyday use. If I were leaving my bike locked at the same commute location every day, I'd absolutely use it religiously.
PPS LPL gives the Altor SAF keyway his stamp of approval, as he does Squire padlocks.

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 09-22-20 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 01:14 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Where I live it is not uncommon for houses to have large basement garages - I keep most bikes down there but my two road bikes live upstairs in a room dedicated just to them

This is just 2/3 of the garage! So a lot of unused space, even the car gets lost in there.

If I cycle down the beach I take one of the older bikes and lock that up. I've never had a bike stolen but my wife had her bike in Amsterdam stolen a couple of years ago - locked up outside like 99% are there so always vulnerable no matter the security, a risk you take in cities like that.
Old 09-23-20, 03:57 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
You need a pit bull.
My pitbull gets soooo upset when I go for a ride, he'd probably help the thief get the bike.
Old 09-23-20, 03:59 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Yep, the only time cars are in the drive is if the kids are home or we have guests. We live in one of "those types" of neighborhoods where people park in their garages. Wouldn't have it any other way. I also have one of "those" types of garages where you can walk without getting your feet dirty.

You wash the bottom of your lawnmower when you're done cutting the grass, don't you...
Old 09-23-20, 05:18 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
And you've obviously either not worked with law enforcement and understand ACTUAL bicycle theft data, or are simply being dishonest. Lock picking is a statistical non-issue. I worked with campus police when our university was #1 in the world for bike theft. Picking locks NEVER happened. The big urban myth was liquid nitrogen. Everyone talked about it and feared it, but the cops said, "Nope, it isn't used." Urban myths abound. So you can THINK lock picking is a problem, but it isn't. Plus, rampant bike theft only ramped up to epidemic levels with cheap 18V portable grinders. Wow, what a coincidence.

Analogous story: "bumping" locks. This was a HUGE issue in the media 10 years ago. "OMG, thieves are using bump keys to BREAK INTO YOUR HOME!" So everyone was scrambling to buy $300 bump proof Medeco and similar locks. Problem is, bumping locks was rare. Plus, what good is a $300 unpickable door lock when it's next to a window pane easily broken? Don't fall for the hype. (The one famous exception was the Bic Pick method which Kryptonite stood behind and addressed.)

"Lockpicking Lawyer" today's thieves are not. They're cutting your locks with grinders.

Decaf? Hey people, just sharing some valuable advice. Bike theft in the SF Bay Area has always been bad. Well now it's epidemic. Kryptonite NY Fugeddaboudit u-locks used to be impenetrable - or at least a 10 minute ordeal to cut. Now it's less than 60 seconds. Same with Kryptonite's largest chains. Like buttah!

So if you think my post is alarmist, fine, don't read it. But for those of you who value your bikes, think about security. Or at least upgrading that homeowners or renters insurance policy!

No, I have not had any bikes stolen from my garage. I'm careful to not leave the door open more than necessary. And yes, when this got really bad, I augmented my security. It's not IF a lock can be broken (they all can), it's HOW MUCH EFFORT IT TAKES. Thieves are lazy and stupid by nature, so they tend to go for the soft targets (thus my rant about unlocked "beloved" bikes sitting around). Like the saying, "You don't have to outrun the bear, just ONE of your friends!" Ergo, your bike lock doesn't have to be the best, just better than those around you. Now I'm not advocating for those with cheaper locks deserving theft, but you simply have to make the odds in your favor.

PS I do happen to own the Altor SAF u-lock, 13 pounds and $300. I'm a lock fanatic, so I HAD to give it a try. It's solid, but a pain for everyday use. If I were leaving my bike locked at the same commute location every day, I'd absolutely use it religiously.
PPS LPL gives the Altor SAF keyway his stamp of approval, as he does Squire padlocks.
Emphasis, 'tend'. One of my riding mates had their condo complex garage broken into. $6k of bikes and tools stolen. They knew how to lock things up, they didn't make rides public on strava. There were 50 other garages to choose from in that complex, and none were tampered with. Many thieves are lazy, many are highly organized and will case a Mark.

The Altor is impressive...bait to just cut the rack your bike is attached to.
Old 09-23-20, 05:44 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts

Where's the bikes?
Old 09-23-20, 05:59 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by ririder
My pitbull gets soooo upset when I go for a ride, he'd probably help the thief get the bike.
Exactly like my Boxer. I love her to death but as a guard dog she's useless.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-23-20, 06:00 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
I'd never go in the house!
Sometimes!

Originally Posted by ririder
You wash the bottom of your lawnmower when you're done cutting the grass, don't you...
Lol, only when putting it away for the winter.

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Where's the bikes?
Old picture. There were no bikes then.
Old 09-23-20, 06:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Anyway, mine is theoretically a 2 car garage, but it's too short and too narrow to house two of most actual cars. Maybe a pair of Fits?
My wife and I have a small two-car garage. Cars always in the garage. In our neighborhood, cars left outside will eventually be vandalized or broken into for pocket change. We would only leave a car in our driveway overnight if there were a paint project or something temporarily taking up one space.

To fit in this garage, we sold our minivan and bought a 2016 Fit. It fits...

As for the OP, I don't think that it's arrogance at all. More likely is the bike owners are "hoping" that the bikes won't be stolen. They have a distorted view of reality, and aren't mentally strong enough to take the measures needed for their own security. I'll leave it at that.
Old 09-23-20, 06:07 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
?

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That looks exhausting, but everyone needs a hobby.

"Here lies mojo. He kept his garage floor spotless." For sure how I want to be remembered.**
...don’t see any bike stuff...maybe the other side of the garage...wanna see bike stuff...
Old 09-23-20, 06:11 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ours is perpetually full of dirt from cars.... and melted grit during the winter.
I always hated that. Come springtime there'd be dried "salt dunes" in the garage that had dripped off the car all winter. Filthy, grey dusty salt.
Old 09-23-20, 06:20 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Ergo, your bike lock doesn't have to be the best, just better than those around you. Now I'm not advocating for those with cheaper locks deserving theft, but you simply have to make the odds in your favor.
Experienced this one day several years ago. Me and woman locked our bikes next to each other at the same time outside a popular market. She used a cheap chain. I used my u lock and thick cable. She went into the market. I went to a corner store to buy a paper. As I’m walking back to the market not 10 min. later I seed a tweeker looking dude speeding away on her bike with a small duffel bag over his shoulder, which likely held his cutters. Found the woman in the market and told her what had happened. She said she hadn’t felt like bringing her “good lock.”
Old 09-23-20, 06:23 AM
indyfabz

Like countless others who live in major urban centers, I don’t have a garage. Bikes go in the house. Never on the back deck.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-23-20, 06:25 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I've been involved in photography for a lot of years with Canon professional bodies and big white lenses that cost much more than that, and have never seen anyone tape over the name. Even if you cover the brand, it wouldn't matter.
Obviously, that's true. But surely you've heard of the old-timers who cover their logos with tape because they think it makes the camera seem more anonymous? Or "less threatening" to the subject or something silly like that. I personally think it's stupid but there are some who think it matters.
Old 09-23-20, 06:42 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

Your garage wins the thread. Jealous.
Old 09-23-20, 07:42 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
...don’t see any bike stuff...maybe the other side of the garage...wanna see bike stuff...
Here you go. Bikes are on the wall in front of the Jeep. Helmets, CrockPot, and miscellaneous bike stuff on the work bench. Pump and work stand above the left cabinet. Bike rack is on the floor. Above the Jeep is an electric hoist for the roof.

The other side doesn't have anything that can fall on the car.

Wife left for work so her car is gone. Floor is dirty because it's been raining since Monday and we park in the garage. Photos on the wall are a couple of my past cars.
Old 09-23-20, 09:19 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Where I live it is not uncommon for houses to have large basement garages - I keep most bikes down there but my two road bikes live upstairs in a room dedicated just to them

This is just 2/3 of the garage! So a lot of unused space, even the car gets lost in there.

If I cycle down the beach I take one of the older bikes and lock that up. I've never had a bike stolen but my wife had her bike in Amsterdam stolen a couple of years ago - locked up outside like 99% are there so always vulnerable no matter the security, a risk you take in cities like that.
I’m confident you don’t live in California lol
Old 09-23-20, 09:36 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I've had more dreams of having my bike stolen than I can count. Have had enough things stolen over the years to know that when it's gone, it's gone! I don't leave my bike anywhere I can't see it, except in the garage.
Old 09-23-20, 09:50 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Where's the bikes?
In here, somewhere.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-23-20, 10:05 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Well, you will be proud of me. I lock my bikes in my garage...

... right next to my power tools.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-23-20, 10:12 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
In here, somewhere.
I apply the clutter security theory as well. They have to find it to steal it, and it can take me 10 minutes to get it out when I know where it is! Combined with a monitored security system (nothing fancy) and a 5-10 minute response from the police, stored in the house is the way to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.