Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can’t get a crown race to set

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can’t get a crown race to set

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 05:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Splendidtutiona
I'm also investing in a proper tool. A place called MTB Tools seems to have one for like $10, so I sent them an email and we'll see what they come back with.
The MTB Tools crown race setter appears to be a fixed size/angle. A good buy if you have only one bike or all your bikes use the same headset. The ring hammer I linked to above is adaptable to most common crown races.
Old 11-05-20, 03:29 PM
Splendidtutiona

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Competition, Guru Sidero, Soma Groove, Smolenski,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
So, I am sure everyone her is DYING to figure out what happened. Kidding, I am sure most of you have forgotten.

But, to add to the internet base of knowledge, I figured out the problem.

I bought a new set of calipers that are digital and more accurate and re-measured everything. Turns out, the crown race seat on the fork is 27mm, not 26.4 and is therefore the crux of the issue. The top and bottom cups are 30.2, so normal ISO there and the threads are 1"x24tpi, so also normal.

The entire headset is ISO normal except the crown race, which is 27mm. I slipped the original on with a PVC pipe with absolutely no issue. The frame and fork are happily re-married using the original headset. I wanted to use a modern sealed bearing headset because they are way easier to deal with, but it looks like for this one, it's the original or nothing.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Likes For Splendidtutiona:
Old 11-05-20, 05:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Measurements:

I know Raleigh was known to do
some crazy stuff, but use a 27mm crown race? Come on... this is a Carlton built Raleigh Competition, not a Nottingham built Sports or something.
I would have thought the same had I not purchased this. I would offer it to you but I have 3 JIS bikes that get ridden. (I see you solved the problem)

Old 11-05-20, 08:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
I know Raleigh was known to do
some crazy stuff, but use a 27mm crown race? Come on... this is a Carlton built Raleigh Competition, not a Nottingham built Sports or something.
Wouldn't be surprised if some of the lightweights were built in Nottingham during the boom.

More than a few of Raleigh's lightweights (Super Course, Grand Prix) used a slightly gussied up variant of the loose bearing Raleigh headset, so it stands to reason the lower raceway was shared with the Sports - even if not all the time. #BecauseRaleigh

-Kurt