Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone else like subdivision riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 03:39 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There are lots of discussion on riding on country roads, the vineyards of Bourdeaux, climbing hills etc. I agree that they are great but for the most part its all about straight road riding and not handling/manoueviering the bike. But lately I've really grown to immensly enjoy riding in subdivisions.

By subdivision I mean a newer community typically in the suburbs which is all residential housing. I love that they are by the most part free of traffic during the day, have beautiful wide smooth roads and lots of interesting sweeps and turns. The better ones have main arterial roads you can use as the backbone of your ride and then carve off onto a side roads for some tight turns and then loop back to the arterial.

Anyone else enjoy trying this?

Given I'm inbetween jobs and home a lot now, its even better as I can get out for a hard 45 minute ride and not blow my day.
Old 09-27-18, 03:45 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I have a subdivision nearby that has a perfect little 1.2 mile loop with no stop signs and a beast of a little kicker in the middle of it.

Perfect for some crit workouts I like, though it doesn't have any real corners to it.
Old 09-27-18, 03:54 PM
CharlieO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raria,
When I lived in South Florida, and now central Indiana, I prefer to ride in sub divisions rather than on the country roads. Not because of the condition of the roads and various routes. But rather because the country roads around here have no shoulders, deep drainage ditches, and a large number of distracted/ impatient drivers. When driving I've witnessed drivers not giving riders enough room while passing and forcing some off the road. We have also had a number of hit and runs, some fatal, where drivers were either impaired or just not paying attention. So I limit myself to the interconnecting sub divisions.

I can get 15 miles in without looping around a second time. I would like to option of going on the country roads for the distance and change of scenery. Maybe I need to grow a pair and take the chance, its just that the risk (to me) is to great.
Old 09-27-18, 03:56 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
My favorite type of ride is through a well connected suburb/subdivision/residential area.
Old 09-27-18, 04:30 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28606 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Nope.
Old 09-27-18, 04:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It depends. Often times the pavement is good, there are bike lanes, and you can make a stopless loop. On the other hand, they're often filled with oblivious drivers in stupidly big cars.
Old 09-27-18, 04:48 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
I've always used them to connect good roads together. Just riding through the neighborhood in the most direct way possible. Over the winter I found out about a game that gives points for riding every road inside the perimeter of Atlanta.

allofitp.xyz

Since then I've been picking a subdivision and riding all the roads in that specific subdivision. It's quite fun, it gives a real sense of the area and the people that live there that just doesn't occur when riding straight through. As you ride along and spend time in the subdivision people come home from work or are just walking around. The sun starts setting and lights come on as dinners are prepared. It's homey and relaxing and gvies a different view of the world than cruising down the road with cars.

Old 09-27-18, 04:51 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was actually thinking about this kind of thing the other day.

When I had a bike as a youngster in Texas, I liked to ride back and forth through the local grid of streets, sometimes something like an expanding square search where Id figure out which blocks were best looking and which were rough or less fun to ride along.

Sometimes now I'll sort of wander around like that a bit, but I usually get antsy and eager to get on a continuous stretch. Also, where I live now is quite different in terms of development as well as topography. If I go one way, the wandering results in 100'/mile rides on winding roads past some enormous homes of varying vintages. If I go the opposite way, the development is more dense, but the topography is still fairly rolling. I can take a middle route along a county road through a little valley, but getting off that road means getting onto more rolling terrain.

There really aren't any sprawling subdivisions in the area, it's more like a patchwork of bits and pieces gradually built up over the last 130 years or so, and most of the shopping and village areas in the various little boroughs/towns can be passed through quite uneventfully. I consider myself quite lucky when it comes to the cycling opportunities outside my door, just minutes from Manhattan. But if some folks just wanted to spend a couple of hours touring through subdivisions, Id be happy to join

Last edited by kbarch; 09-27-18 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 05:03 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Where I live we have one gated community and subdivision after the other. Nothing better than our Friday toodle at roughly 13mph just to get the blood flowing. We go from one street to the other chatting, etc for almost 15 miles. Always a Good Friday!
Old 09-27-18, 05:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I can't stand subdivisions (or commuter suburbs in general).
Old 09-27-18, 05:32 PM
ditty bopper

Bikes: TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep.
Old 09-27-18, 06:01 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You mean living in them?

I agree living in them may not be everyones liking but the newer ones are really fun to ride particularly during the day when everyone is at work.

Bikes are so much fun riding when your carving left and right and then into a sweeping turn every minute rather than a few times an hour.
The excilleration of hitting a turn hard and pedalling through gets me going and its something you rarely get on a road ride.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I can't stand subdivisions (or commuter suburbs in general).
Old 09-27-18, 06:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A few years ago a local racer organized a week night crit series in a subdivision where they'd laid out and paved the streets but the development money dried up before they put the houses in. That was fun. Fortunately for the economy but unfortunately for the local race scene, the money came back and they finally put the houses in.
Old 09-27-18, 07:01 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Something like this ???? Hoping it works.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1854645618
Old 09-27-18, 07:22 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I live in a subdivision and ride through many of them regularly. I live in the suburbs and the Detroit Metro area was built in one square mile grids. There are mile roads (I live off of 9 Mile Rd) and named roads and most have a good amount of traffic. So the subs are a good way to add miles and eventually get to a mile rd that is not too busy. None of the subs are gated as they are all 50+ years old and the streets in them are lightly traveled and in reasonable condition.
Old 09-27-18, 07:31 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Something like this ???? Hoping it works.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1854645618
That was very cool! What was the furthest you got from your starting point?
Old 09-27-18, 08:15 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
That was very cool! What was the furthest you got from your starting point?
Within a 8 mile radius. Riding the roads in Rotonda with some overlap to secure complete coverage comes to 90+ miles.
Old 09-27-18, 09:26 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Not me. A bunch of block-long zig zags.

Especially bad if following a cue sheet.
Old 09-27-18, 09:59 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

I work on call a lot. I ride loops so I can stay in touch when I need to. Mine even includes a trail along the creek for variety....
Old 09-27-18, 10:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Oh my god no.
Old 09-27-18, 11:42 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I generally stick to the subdivisions as I don't wish to become a grease spot because some idiot driver wasn't paying attention. It's bad enough in the subdivisions so it could only be worse on the open road.
Old 09-28-18, 03:23 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Within a 8 mile radius. Riding the roads in Rotonda with some overlap to secure complete coverage comes to 90+ miles.
I think Florida must be ideal for rides like that. The expanse and variety of layouts like that you see on the ground when leaving or making an approach into Miami or whatever never ceases to amaze me.
Old 09-28-18, 03:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I used to like riding through suburbs for short rides or to wrap up a long ride, but not so much anymore. Now I live in a place where all the suburbs are on the sides of hills. We live on a 14% grade hill and there's a nice little 17% next street over.
Old 09-28-18, 06:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Negatory, Big Ben.
Old 09-28-18, 07:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
"But the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.