Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Problems unclipping - Assioma Favero

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 06:51 AM
Koonstheman

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce and a custom-made Commonwealth (Medford, MA)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I had the extremely distressing experience yesterday of being unable at one point to unclip from EITHER pedal on my Assiomas. Earlier, only the right foot would not come out with normal pressure. I had to find a wall, ride up to it, lean on it, and pull violently to get out. This must be like the feeling of a pilot who cannot get his landing gear down.

The cleats (red Look) are not worn. I'm unsure that the float mechanism in the pedals resolves this, but I did loosen them and, since I only had two miles to go, while tentatively it worked, I can't be sure it's a permanent solution.. I do not, of course, want to have the inverse problem.

Is it logical that something like this can happen - the mechanism actually becoming tighter? I would have innocently though that the inverse would happen with wear, or whatever other mechanical influence.

Thanks
Old 03-09-20, 07:30 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Koonstheman
I had the extremely distressing experience yesterday of being unable at one point to unclip from EITHER pedal on my Assiomas. Earlier, only the right foot would not come out with normal pressure. I had to find a wall, ride up to it, lean on it, and pull violently to get out. This must be like the feeling of a pilot who cannot get his landing gear down.

The cleats (red Look) are not worn. I'm unsure that the float mechanism in the pedals resolves this, but I did loosen them and, since I only had two miles to go, while tentatively it worked, I can't be sure it's a permanent solution.. I do not, of course, want to have the inverse problem.

Is it logical that something like this can happen - the mechanism actually becoming tighter? I would have innocently though that the inverse would happen with wear, or whatever other mechanical influence.

Thanks
the tension adjustment screw is supposed to help with this. I’ve never had this issue but I know others have definitely had issues. I read somewhere that somebody removed one of the tension springs and that corrected their problem
Old 03-09-20, 07:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
How old are these pedals and cleats? How many miles prior to the problem?
Old 03-09-20, 08:17 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
If they are the original Assioma's with the silver spring there were many complaints that the pedals were too tight for some people to comfortably unclip. Last summer Favero made a change and started using a lighter spring (black in color) that resolved this issue. You can retrofit the black spring version for the original pedal bodies but would need to purchase new bodies. If you have been riding them without this issue before I would do and thorough cleaning and light lube to see if that helps. I have the black spring version and find them very easy to unclip from even in my gimpy left leg that has problems uncliping. FWIW, I ride the 0° float black Wellgo (xpedo) cleats.
Old 03-09-20, 12:25 PM
Koonstheman

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The pedals are about a year old (2,200 miles) and I don't remember when I changed the cleats, but they are not worn. I use them on my other bike on the Cyclops and the movements are smooth there.
Old 03-09-20, 12:26 PM
Koonstheman

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you. I have to look at that spring mechanism. I hadn't paid too much attention to it.
Old 03-10-20, 06:53 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I found that the original Assioma cleats are the only ones that actually worked with my pedals. I had real Look Keo cleats on my shoes when the Assiomas arrived about 2 years ago and I couldn't get them in or out easily. Luckily I was on my trainer trying this out. I swapped in the Assioma cleats right away and while they were tight I could get in and out. When I took the bike outside the first few times I would ride with my right foot unclipped in traffic. Eventually though everything wore in enough that it became easy, although when I needed new cleats I bought another pair of the Assioma ones again, but they weren't nearly as tight even when new.

The other thing with the Assioma pedals, and probaby all pedal power meters, is that you can't unclip by twisting your heel towards the bike as the power pod gets in the way. It may not have been the right way to do it, but I was used to being able to go either way. My fear was that I'd join club tombé. I got used to it pretty fast.
Old 09-25-20, 10:25 AM
SpeedyTurtle305

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks
Same problem here. Brand new clips. I contacted Favero, no reply yet.
Old 09-28-20, 11:30 AM
Koonstheman

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
SpeedyTurtle -

This happened quite a few months ago, and I do not recall anything other than that it was indeed resolved by loosening mechanism on the pedals, as odd as that may seem. That said, since then, I've had another peculiar problem - and I'm not sure if this relates to the pedals or not, but I've never experienced this before - some screws in the cleats themselves get loose every so often, in fact too regularly. This could be a coincidence, but...
Old 12-29-21, 12:02 PM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I have the same problem with the red cleats and tension adjusted to min.
The springs are black.
This situation has not improved after 2 years of use.
As the cleat wears it becomes easier to unclip.
On new cleats I am only able to unclip with the pedal at 6 o'clock position, and still with considerable difficulty.
This situation is quite dangerous if you suddenly need to unclip.
Old 12-29-21, 12:04 PM
yannisg

SpeedyTurtle -

This happened quite a few months ago, and I do not recall anything other than that it was indeed resolved by loosening mechanism on the pedals, as odd as that may seem. That said, since then, I've had another peculiar problem - and I'm not sure if this relates to the pedals or not, but I've never experienced this before - some screws in the cleats themselves get loose every so often, in fact too regularly. This could be a coincidence, but...
As far a loosening screws I have always used Loctite 222 and never had a loosening problem or were unable to unscrew them when changing cleats.
Old 12-30-21, 09:22 AM
yannisg

Recently, replaced old red cleats with new.
I tried unclipping, even with the pedal at the 6 o'clock position, it was very hard. Tension was adjusted at minimum.
Then I lubed the side sliding surfaces of each pedal with light oil, and the situation improved substantially.