Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Older Guy Needing to Dial it Back

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-01-20, 06:13 PM
bobin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I think I just need to enjoy cycling for a chance to get outside and exercise and not push it anymore. I'm nearing 50 and have only been cycling for 6 years but for the life of me can't get my FTP above 200. Thought I was digging a hole last year so this winter really took it easy and tried to rest up over the winter. Last few rides I've been tried to start two or three 15mi rides averaging 120bpm per week. Any time though I get on Zwift or outside and try to really hit it hard for longer than an hour - not only am I wiped out - but it feels like I'm hungover a little the next day. Back to why I took it easy over the winter. My grumpiness just skyrockets the next day. Yesterday I went out for 25 miles and averaged 145bpm often times hitting 175 and it felt good with an average of almost 18mph/200w. Good lord was I moody and wiped out mentally today. Not so much physical fatigue but like my window of tolerance is zero - like I'm strung out or something. Been getting some pretty good sleep lately too. And now that we're quarantined inside all the time I need to be in a good mood for the wife and kids. Not sure what's going on here - going to miss cranking up the engine - but maybe the engine is trying to tell me something.
Old 04-01-20, 06:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Ride more.

Worry less.
Old 04-01-20, 07:30 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
As we get older it takes some of us longer to build our fitness. I'm 65 and it is a very slow process but I have been making gains since I retired from work.
Don't know about the grumpiness I usually feel calm after a hard effort. Lack of sleep is the main thing that makes me grumpy.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-01-20, 07:38 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
My suggestion is to not worry about your ftp and how fast you are riding. If I were you, I would concentrate on intervals and hill climbing three days a week and ride for fun the other days. I get grumpy when I don't get a chance to ride.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 04-01-20, 08:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup. At 62 with ambitions half my age, I've been forced to confront reality and make some changes.

I got more methodical about training (not counting casual pleasure rides) and had to give myself a rest day after every real workout. So I usually ride about 4 times a week and rest 3 days -- usually 1 day on, one day off, but occasionally I'll ride 2-4 consecutive days, then rest for 2 days. I'll walk and do some light exercises on rest days, but it's mostly actual rest, not "workout other than bike rides."

I made some progress last year with that approach, although I've slacked off since January, between the weather, chronic sinus problems and then the coronavirus inflammation. So I'm mostly in maintenance mode now, not improving but not losing too much fitness. No HIIT, but more zone 2 rides to balance out the tempo pace rides. Works for me, YMMV, horses/courses, etc.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-01-20, 09:01 PM
Catsharp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
This is really interesting because its the first time I’ve seen moodiness/irritability mentioned in association with the after effects of overtraining, or simply extended over-exerting. I’ve had the exact same experience. (Age 61) Have obviously modified and reduced severity of training regimen and still really enjoy long, exhausting rides (seems silly to admit it- as I cannot really explain that to non-riding friends but anyway). Recovery time needed is much greater now; more rest, and more time between intervals but the touchy mood, that is really an annoying and surprising by product.
Likes For Catsharp:
Old 04-01-20, 09:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Catsharp
- as I cannot really explain that to non-riding friends but anyway).
You don't have to explain it to us.
Old 04-01-20, 10:16 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I don't know the OP, or anyone else here. So I don't know what is going on. There could be many different reasons.

However, some people will tell you it is the things going on around them which make them unhappy. But there is an underlying issue where, they are not happy with themselves. This can happen for various reasons. Then when little things happen, it triggers them to react badly. They keep blaming those little things, but don't think of the underlying cause.

Even good people can get upset, particularly if a number of bad things happen around the same time. Put people who feel good about themselves are not normally triggered by a lot of little things which annoy them.

One of the reasons some people are not happy with themselves, is because they measure themselves in comparison to others. I am not as good as these other people. Smart people just do sensible things, and don't compare themselves to others.
Old 04-01-20, 10:28 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I get cranky when i am not able to meet my workout targets as well, sometimes. If I am carrying over fatigue from before, that's one thing and i dont mind. But if it is something else which ruins my workout, then for sure I get a bit annoyed/irritated.

OP - just ride more. Also, if you can, ride with others. It's a great way to push yourself more. Lastly, depending on what the limitation is, consider doing weights. I am 47, and i find my overall health and fitness to be much, much better now that i am back to doing weights, than it was when i cycled only. At our age, we are starting to lose both muscle and bone density, and weight training helps there. Doing more squats and such has also helped my time to exhaustion (ie, my ability to hold wattage for a longer period of time without fatiguing).
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-01-20, 10:41 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I get irritable when I'm under-fueled.

From TrainingPeaks, signs of low energy availability include:
  • Recurrent injury (soft tissue and/or bone)
  • Recurrent Illness
  • Unexpected fatigue
  • Disrupted sleep patterns
  • Change in mood
  • Reduced social interaction
  • Problematic relationship with food and/or training
  • Stagnation and deterioration in performance
Old 04-01-20, 10:49 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I get irritable when I'm under-fueled.

From TrainingPeaks, signs of low energy availability include:
I was going to suggest something very similar. Eat properly before, and after hard efforts.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-02-20, 12:09 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
At 67 I let my body dictate the exercise level for the day. I definitely have easy days where I exercise little or at a very easy pace. On the other hand if I'm feeling it I'll push hard. Good sleep, plenty of real food, keep your days as low stress as possible. I find that I'll fill my days with activities until I realize I need to cut some of them out due to the stress of just trying to do it all. If I overdo the exercise I get very tired but generally bounce back the next day. I may not be able to exercise as hard the next day but I'll go for a ride just to ride and enjoy the day. I do get grumpiness when I'm tired and didn't get proper rest. Do not be hard on yourself for feeling your feelings. Keep a realistic attitude concerning your exercise goals. Accept the aging process and its effect on you. Lift weights, walk, run, row a boat, play basketball, a diversity of exercise is probably best for your health. On the other hand if some of how you feel is indicative of a health problem do not be afraid to ask an MD.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 04-02-20, 02:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
BTW, if you haven't already, try a heart rate variability app like Elite HRV (needs a heart rate monitor like a Tickr, or the doodad Elite HRV sells) or Wattson Blue (fingertip pulse via smartphone camera flashlight). I've used these for a few months as guides to assist with my training efforts. Seems to accurately identify my better and not-so-good training days.

There's a lot to read on both app websites about HRV, and plenty of info on YouTube and elsewhere online. It gets into info about the sympathetic and parasympathetic response -- which, incidentally, has been a topic of discussion on the news this week in the context of how stresses such as the coronavirus pandemic is affecting people's mental/emotional well being in addition to the physical issues.

For me, it was counter-intuitive. I thought a highly variable heart rate that changes quickly in response to stressors was a bad thing. But apparently in an otherwise healthy body it's a good indicator of readiness to train harder.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-02-20, 03:08 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Take everything off the bike that records numbers and ride; make a concerted effort to see the world around you because this is your one and only chance. The difference between what you could be running on the ragged edge and doing what I suggest is minuscule when it comes to performance. However, the difference in quality of life is significant.
Old 04-02-20, 04:28 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Take everything off the bike that records numbers and ride; make a concerted effort to see the world around you because this is your one and only chance. The difference between what you could be running on the ragged edge and doing what I suggest is minuscule when it comes to performance. However, the difference in quality of life is significant.
This. Stop and smell the roses every so often. You only have one life to live. Just ride your bike. Don't worry about how fast you are going while you are riding it.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-02-20, 06:46 AM
Catsharp

Agree with Surak - 'Training Peaks' list; I know I don't eat enough/eat right to stay at optimum. Have injuries pretty well healed, sleeping is better with more exercise, in my case, Going to try to focus on eating adequately before riding, in the days ahead. So as not to feel so completely spent for the 24 hours afterward. Also though, since riding mainly solo now, I'm not sure performance is even a thing. Racking up lots of miles, while so enjoyable, especially after the winter, and now when, like, there's so many other things virus-verboten, I wonder if it takes a toll as we age. My mother, who passed about a year ago, at age 89, seeing all the riding etc. I was doing finally said, "you really need to make your body last...."
like, don't wear it out prematurely.
Old 04-02-20, 06:49 AM
Catsharp

Originally Posted by big john
You don't have to explain it to us.
I have a good friend, long-time practicing psychologist who asked - "I wonder what it is you're running away from?"
Gave me a complex for a while. So I went out riding, and forgot all about it.
Likes For Catsharp:
Old 04-02-20, 07:22 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
+1, no data, or put your bike computer in your pocket if you just want to track the mileage/time. Just ride and enjoy it.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-02-20, 08:24 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by bobin
I think I just need to enjoy cycling for a chance to get outside and exercise and not push it anymore. I'm nearing 50 and have only been cycling for 6 years but for the life of me can't get my FTP above 200. Thought I was digging a hole last year so this winter really took it easy and tried to rest up over the winter. Last few rides I've been tried to start two or three 15mi rides averaging 120bpm per week. Any time though I get on Zwift or outside and try to really hit it hard for longer than an hour - not only am I wiped out - but it feels like I'm hungover a little the next day. Back to why I took it easy over the winter. My grumpiness just skyrockets the next day. Yesterday I went out for 25 miles and averaged 145bpm often times hitting 175 and it felt good with an average of almost 18mph/200w. Good lord was I moody and wiped out mentally today. Not so much physical fatigue but like my window of tolerance is zero - like I'm strung out or something. Been getting some pretty good sleep lately too. And now that we're quarantined inside all the time I need to be in a good mood for the wife and kids. Not sure what's going on here - going to miss cranking up the engine - but maybe the engine is trying to tell me something.
If you want to simply enjoy cycling more, forget about the bpm and watts, and just go out and ride your bike. Work up a sweat of you want, or don't. The only yardstick that matters is "did I enjoy the ride?", not "how many watts did I put out?"
Likes For Litespud:
Old 04-02-20, 09:27 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
If you want to simply enjoy cycling more, forget about the bpm and watts, and just go out and ride your bike. Work up a sweat of you want, or don't. The only yardstick that matters is "did I enjoy the ride?", not "how many watts did I put out?"
+1. Flowers are blooming and birds are tweeting. New life is everywhere! Who gives a $hit how fast you are riding or how much effort you are putting in? Tomorrow might never come. Enjoy today and have fun. Heck, get you one of these and piddle along, goofing off...........in sandals or flops. You'll have a good time. Trust me.

Edit: One other thing, 50 is not old. Please!

Last edited by seypat; 04-02-20 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-02-20, 10:47 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
The OP is just a kid. I rode a lot in my teens, but then only did career until I picked riding up again at 50 and started really training. I can tell you from experience that at your age, or at any age over yours, taking it easy over the winter is an utter disaster. It'll take a full year's training to fix that mistake. What you need to do now is base, lots of base. Like others have said, ride your effing bike. I don't think that taking all the monitors off the bike is a good idea, not a good idea at all. You want to use those monitors to restrict your activity level. Keep the effort down! Some people really have to work at that. As it is said, most riders go neither easy enough nor hard enough. Build mileage. Mileage is strength. Don't do any intervals. It's OK to ride hills, but don't work at them. Really embarrass yourself, gear down and spin up them. On your trainer, use erg mode. You know about what your FTP is, so set it to 75%-80% and pedal for an hour or so, concentrating on beautiful pedaling. Ride 6 days/week, pretty easy to do now with the shutdown. If you feel tired, just do Z1 on your trainer for 30'. If you're doing it right, shouldn't need an easy day more than once a week.
Old 04-02-20, 12:14 PM
rclouviere

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I didn’t start cycling until i was your age. I’m 62 now and am faster than I’ve ever been. Not sure if that’s an indictment on my past training, or my current training, but typically, my rides of 25 or so miles average around 20.5 mph right now on all/out effort rides (faster on TT bike). My FTP hasn’t increased much, but my pace has.

Everyone is different, and i see the benefit of “just riding,” but that’s not for me. I love the power meter, HRM, and gps. I’m super competitive with myself (and much younger riders). I have purposeful training involving hard rides, easy rides, and interval rides.

i also supplement my workouts with regular weight training (full body) and eat pretty well.

i am retired, so i have the time to do this.

Not sure about being grumpy after hard rides. I’m usually a little grumpy when i CAN’T ride.
Old 04-02-20, 12:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
+1. Flowers are blooming and birds are tweeting. New life is everywhere! Who gives a $hit how fast you are riding or how much effort you are putting in? Tomorrow might never come. Enjoy today and have fun. Heck, get you one of these and piddle along, goofing off...........in sandals or flops. You'll have a good time. Trust me.

Edit: One other thing, 50 is not old. Please!

Wow, a mixte. My wife had a Raleigh mixte back when, also blue but a deeper color and with drops. "Blueberry."
Old 04-02-20, 12:58 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Agree with the others touting nutrition as the root of your issue here.

If you deplete yourself on the bike, you're going to be all messed up the rest of the day and the morning after.. Focus on:
1. eating right before your ride(s) -- take in some protein and carbs if you're planning to go hard. I don't mean just breakfast, either. I try to make sure I have something hearty for dinner on Friday night if I'm planning a big Saturday ride.
2. eating during your ride(s) -- if you're going hard and/or long, you're going to need to take in burnable calories on your ride. That means something with protein and carbs. If you have ever ridden a century, you know how true this is. If you start bonking, it's way too late and you're behind the curve of what you should have been taking in. A sugary gel can help at this point, but it's only going to give you another 30 minutes of not-completely-bonked status to get yourself to the finish. Plan to take in 100-200 calories per hour of something like a cliff bar or similar.
3. eating after your ride(s) -- if you went really hard, you may want to consider taking in something high in sugar/carbs immediately after your ride. If I'm spent at the end of a ride, I will drink a sugary soda (I never drink that crap) before I shower so I can bridge the gap to my feed-my-face meal of a Dagwood-style sandwich, pile of rice/meat, burrito or similar to replenish myself. A nice afternoon nap is also a great way to digest/recover as well.

In all of this, think about the kind of food you're eating. If you're fueling with crap, you're gonna feel/perform like crap. If you're eating a bowl of frosted flakes for breakfast and having a pile of french fries and mcdonalds for lunch, you're gonna recover like crap.
Likes For goenrdoug:
Old 04-02-20, 01:27 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
A 49 year old shouldn't need to dial it back, if you're in otherwise good health. I moved to Colorado at age 50 and went from the relatively flat terrain around the Kansas City area, at 800' elevation to living at 6,000' and riding on up to 14,000' Mt. Evans. My average speed dropped about 2 mph, between all of the climbing and the elevation, but I never had any different effects from 3 hours of hard riding. I rarely rode more than every other day (50-60 miles) and I only rode that much because I wasn't working. It took several years for my climbing ability to improve, but at age 53, I rode my best time from Idaho Springs to the top of Mt. Evans 2:35, that would often be a top 10 finish in my age group, on race day. After than, I never got any faster and old age was catching up with me. I quit cycling at the end of the 2010, at age 57 season because my knees were shot and I had a house to build. I got my knees replaced in 2017 and took up cycling again in 2018 at age 65. I'm only riding 3500-4000 miles per year instead of 5000+, but I'm still riding and enjoying it. If I ride 2.5-3 hours every other day, I'm satisfied. I use a HRM, just to judge how hard I'm working, but I have no goals other than to make it up the 12% grades.
Likes For DaveSSS:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.