Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Hour and 15 minute training rides for basic fitness

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Hour and 15 minute training rides for basic fitness

Old 08-05-20, 02:22 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK

<pic of half-naked man>

I didn't have that at 22
Old 08-06-20, 03:59 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
30 MPH sprints on a 40 pound MTB with big knobby tires, an added aero drag and bad chopped up roads with heavy traffic ??...Are you sure ??
Old 08-06-20, 06:15 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels

I'm looking to increase weight even further for safety (lead weights at the back of the frame) for more intense uphill training. It should also improve braking performance which is paramount in chaotic traffic conditions.
Adding extra weight to the frame of a bike isn't going to make handling safer or improve braking performance. It will do the opposite. A loaded bike is a lot more sluggish and more difficult to handle and maneuver than a lighter bike. A 40+++ pound bike travelling at 25 MPH is also going to take longer to stop than a 25 pound bike travelling at 25 MPH.
Old 08-06-20, 08:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
30 MPH sprints on a 40 pound MTB with big knobby tires, an added aero drag and bad chopped up roads with heavy traffic ??...Are you sure ??
Yeah, I'm kinda out at this point for this topic! Haha. We're now into the land of things we often hear on BF that I don't care to get into and don't care to feed.
Old 08-06-20, 08:48 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Moderation note: The thread is getting off topic. cubewheels you have your own thread in Training and Nutrition about your training. Please take further discussions concerning your training to that thread. I get that your short duration training has applicability to this thread but it is now dominating the discussion and not adding much value. Thanks.

Last edited by Hermes; 08-06-20 at 08:53 AM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-06-20, 01:35 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Back to 1:15 training for fitness...I did a VO2 / ANO2 workout this AM on the TT bike that included a 1’ interval.

Warmup and then...3x(2’ VO2 effort, 3’ z2, 1’ ANO2, 2’ z2, 2’ VO2) 5-8 minutes rest between intervals. This yields 15’ of VO2 / ANO2 efforts with lactate overload and ability to process lactate on the z2 efforts. The key to doing these is not to over cook the first set and save the most effort for the last set and to accelerate on the efforts versus blast the start and have power fall off over time.

Last edited by Hermes; 08-06-20 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-06-20, 05:08 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Ok, ok, thanks to you fine gents, I did my first 40/20 set.

I wimped out and still did my 30 minutes of progressive warm up. Then I did my 2, one-minute sprints with a few minutes in between (including a good hill) each.

Then, I did 10, 40/20. I liked it, got to get the hang of it more but just happy I could do it.

Then about 10 minutes of strong effort, then few minutes cool down.

Im going to keep easing into these.

I think next ride I’ll cut the warmup down to 15 minutes. Then do one lap with my one-minute sprints. Then 2 sets of 10 of the 40/20.

Then my usual last 15 minutes.

And I’ll keep working to get my training more structured like you guys recommend.

*edit, feeling a nice leg burn/pump just off that one set. Guess I’m getting sucked into real cycling training!

Whats next? Power meters, matching outfits, understanding what a seemingly random set of numbers and letters strung together actually means? (ie. 3’ z2, 1’ ANO2, 2’ z2,)

😂

Thanks again guys....I think ; )

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-06-20 at 06:35 PM.
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 08-06-20, 10:48 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Sorry about the shorthand. ANO2 is anaerobic so that is your 1 minute interval that can be has hard as you can push for 1 minute but may be less. VO2 is the level of effort between the maximum one minute effort and the maximum effort you can do for 5 minutes. Z2 is zone 2 or an endurance effort which is the effort that you could do for a couple of hours.
Old 08-07-20, 09:11 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by Hermes
Sorry about the shorthand. ANO2 is anaerobic so that is your 1 minute interval that can be has hard as you can push for 1 minute but may be less. VO2 is the level of effort between the maximum one minute effort and the maximum effort you can do for 5 minutes. Z2 is zone 2 or an endurance effort which is the effort that you could do for a couple of hours.
Thanks, so you do 3 sets of these..(2’ VO2 effort, 3’ z2, 1’ ANO2, 2’ z2, 2’ VO2) with 5-8 minutes rest between intervals.

Do you rest between the VO2, z2, ANO2, and VO2 efforts?

Sorry, I’m confused on if you rest between each of those efforts or you rest between the full sets? Or you rest between both the efforts and between each set?

Does my question make sense?
Old 08-08-20, 11:06 AM
CyclingBK

Kicked it up a notch today.

Warmed up harder for 15 minutes

Did 10 x 40/20
Did 2 of my one-minute *alls to the wall sprints with a few minutes in between rest. I raced this guy on one, he was cool, just kept a half wheel ahead of me to push me, lol
Did 10 x 40/20

Cruised easy for a couple of minutes.

So, actually one less lap, took about an hour but clearly much more demanding and focused. I liked it. I’m just happy I didn’t keel over, you worry when you’re “older” and try new things how your body will respond and I was happy it seemed up for the challenge,

Now, I can mix it up with some other intervals and sets.

This is crazy! Thank you all for giving me that push and all the guidance ; )

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-08-20 at 11:21 AM.
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 08-08-20, 11:45 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Kicked it up a notch today.

... Did 2 of my one-minute *alls to the wall sprints with a few minutes in between rest. I raced this guy on one, he was cool, just kept a half wheel ahead of me to push me, lol
Back when I was running hard, years ago, I often trained with a guy like that. He was darned good, at the collegiate level. I could never touch him in a race, but could with much of the training. Hard, for me. And, yes, as you describe, he was pretty good at staying just a step ahead. "LOL" wasn't what I was thinking at the time, but you play the hand you're dealt.

Sounds like it's working well for you. Just watch your recovery, to ensure you get enough, given these tougher sets. Older pharts gotta stick together.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 08-08-20, 12:36 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Back when I was running hard, years ago, I often trained with a guy like that. He was darned good, at the collegiate level. I could never touch him in a race, but could with much of the training. Hard, for me. And, yes, as you describe, he was pretty good at staying just a step ahead. "LOL" wasn't what I was thinking at the time, but you play the hand you're dealt.

Sounds like it's working well for you. Just watch your recovery, to ensure you get enough, given these tougher sets. Older pharts gotta stick together.
Ha, back in the day I played Competitive sports I definitely took it harder if someone’s just better than you.

but now the whole notion of me racing anything is hysterical, even while it’s happening ; )

Many thanks, yes, I only ride every other day, eat a lot, good sleep, and listen to what my body is saying. I may be doing sprint type intervals now but fitness, overall, is a marathon effort for me.
Old 08-08-20, 04:01 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Thanks, so you do 3 sets of these..(2’ VO2 effort, 3’ z2, 1’ ANO2, 2’ z2, 2’ VO2) with 5-8 minutes rest between intervals.

Do you rest between the VO2, z2, ANO2, and VO2 efforts?

Sorry, I’m confused on if you rest between each of those efforts or you rest between the full sets? Or you rest between both the efforts and between each set?

Does my question make sense?
The z2 or endurance level of effort is easier part. There is no rest per se in the 10 minute interval only rest between each 10 minutes. You may alter the level of effort for each effort in the 10 minutes. For example, instead of doing z2, one could ride z1 and just spin and recover. I like to set the harder efforts a little less hard and up the z2. Then on the last 10 minute interval up the harder efforts and reduce the z2 effort. There is no right or wrong way to do theses.

However, I would not suggest going gonzo of the first 10 minute set and then die like a dog on the 3rd set or quit early.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-15-20, 06:14 PM
CyclingBK

Quick follow up, I am very stoked, and thank you all for the encouragement and guidance.

I have changed up my rides and the overall intensity and effort are both much higher:

15 minute warm up but much harder than previously.

Then, 10x 40/20, these are done through varying slopes including a good sized hill. Getting a good feel for how to manage these efforts so they are consistent throughout this session.

Then, 3 x 1-minute intervals that are *alls to the wall to failure (don’t know the cycling term ; ) These are spaced about 4 minutes apart and include a 1-minute interval on a hill that includes 70-feet of climbing in a half mile.

Then, and this is still a “made up” thing on my part, let me know if it’s lame, I do 10-minutes of riding as hard as I can manage at a difficult pace but not killing me. Then cool down 5 minutes

Whole thing takes less than an hour, legs feel like jelly, and feels fantastic 😊

Just an edit to this post one week later....it’s freakin scary how much stronger you get training this way! Thanks again ; )

One more edit (2 days later ; )...
I finally think I’m getting that post cycling “buzz”. Total spent but in a really good way. So mellow. I found myself leaning against a wall instead of standing free a couple of times in the kitchen waiting for stuff to cook, lol. Guess that’s a sign of some pretty good training 😂

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-20-20 at 06:33 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.