Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best place to lock bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best place to lock bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 06:25 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Best place to lock bike?

I’m new to bike locks. Just got a Z lock. I stopped at a market and didn’t see any bike racks. I found this small piece stapled to to a pillar and locked it but generally speaking I don’t know where I’m gonna find the right spots to put my bike. Like I said I’m new to locks. Do you have any general tips?
Old 07-30-20, 06:49 PM
Illgot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I use signs when I have to, tension wires for utility poles, I have had to walk a block just to find a secure spot to lock up. I carry a u-lock from Krytonite though so my choices are a bit limited. Just make sure that what ever you lock up to is secured to the ground or a wall. I have seen a lot of bicycle racks that are not secured; not going to risk putting my bike on a rack someone can toss in the back of their truck.
Old 07-30-20, 07:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Generally u-locks (kryptonite, abus) are good. I will also use an Abus chain with a good padlock, like Abloy, for store situations in lower crime areas. If there is not a rack or steel fence, or a fixture in concrete, a light pole is good. You want to make sure the wheels are locked along with the bike.

You Z lock is probably good for the front wheel or the seat. A lot depends on the level of crime In your area.

You can’t make it theft proof, just want to make it more effort than a thief wants to spend. With bikes in high demand, extra caution is probably warranted.

John
Old 07-30-20, 07:04 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
The flip side to this issue are the bikes that are locked up and seemingly abandoned for months or even longer. There are a couple in my town.... Including one right in front of the quaint old-fashioned movie theater downtown. Someday I should swing by and see exactly how they are locked! Perhaps the bikes are junkers but it seems no one ever bothers them.
Old 07-30-20, 07:12 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
I’m new to bike locks. Just got a Z lock. I stopped at a market and didn’t see any bike racks. I found this small piece stapled to to a pillar and locked it but generally speaking I don’t know where I’m gonna find the right spots to put my bike. Like I said I’m new to locks. Do you have any general tips?
If you're referring to this "Z-LOK": https://hiplok.com/product/zlok1/

My first suggestion would be to get a better lock. Chain or U-lock. That glorified zip-tie is 2 seconds and a wire cutter away from being defeated.

As to where to lock up, anything that's steel and immobile should work. Bike racks, traffic or street light poles, sturdy railings or guard rails, building pillars if they're small enough.
Old 07-30-20, 07:17 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
If price is a concern, Walmart sells this one for $17. Uses a disc detainer core, and an 8mm chain which should be resistant enough to concealable bolt cutters. I actually picked one of these up to lock up a cheaper craigslist bike I recently got to ride for a couple months while out of town for job training, seems pretty stout to me. If the airline will let me fly home with it, I intend to destructively test it with some big-ass bolt cutters just to see how tough they are.
Old 07-30-20, 07:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
That's not a bike lock that's a zip tie...Return the Z lock to where you bought it from and buy yourself a proper bike lock...There are plenty of objects that you can use to lock a bike: a lamp post, railing, sign post, utility wires etc.
Old 07-30-20, 09:19 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I keep it locked in my grip, as I walk it around inside with me.
Old 07-31-20, 12:09 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
If you're referring to this "Z-LOK": https://hiplok.com/product/zlok1/

My first suggestion would be to get a better lock. Chain or U-lock. That glorified zip-tie is 2 seconds and a wire cutter away from being defeated.

As to where to lock up, anything that's steel and immobile should work. Bike racks, traffic or street light poles, sturdy railings or guard rails, building pillars if they're small enough.

Okay thanks for the suggestion. Some blog post suggested that the Z lock was the best value.
Old 07-31-20, 05:50 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
.. I stopped at a market and didn’t see any bike racks. ... Do you have any general tips?
At locations with shopping carts, I generally lock to the cart corrals in the parking lot. There is generally good visibility and the metal is solid. Though some could in theory be disassembled to defeat the lock, it would not be practically achievable with the visibility and short duration of my visit. I use U-locks, and I don't leave my bike in high-risk areas for long durations.

Last edited by flangehead; 07-31-20 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Add lock type.
Old 07-31-20, 08:18 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D15QH72xfPA[/ame]
Old 07-31-20, 09:18 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
If the store offers shopping carts and has no Wallmart-style greeter, my solution is this:

Since the store offers shopping carts, there's also plenty of room for people to walk around wheeling their own 'cart'.

If you keep the bicycle with you - don't leave it unattended, anywhere - it both stays safe AND doesn't cause a problem to anyone. In future visits, the store remembers you and welcomes you back, since they appreciate your business.

I say all this from experience. I started doing it in February of this year.
Old 07-31-20, 11:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My NL made bike has a frame lock that closes it's hasp around the rear rim-tire ,

On the side opposite the key cylinder is a pin catch. the pin is on a length of hardened chain
with 1 larger loop-link on the opposite end . the pin fits through that loop securing the front wheel and the bike rack or signpost I'm locking around.

I'm using this bike as my Grocery packer.. rather than international touring...
Old 07-31-20, 12:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
Echoing Nyah -- I do take my bike indoors quite regularly, usually to park it in a business' entry - especially if they have no rack outside. It might feel weird at first...But, if you just act like it's perfectly natural, and you have every right in the world to do it, no one will say anything to you. And if someone does object, simply respond that, if they put in a proper bike rack, you won't be forced to bring your bike inside.
Old 08-03-20, 07:26 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Okay thanks for the suggestion. Some blog post suggested that the Z lock was the best value.
"Best Value" can mean "best for the money" or just "cheap", especially in advertising.

My take is pay now or pay later. A pricier lock will could mean you might not have to spend money on a new bike. With the current bike shortages, there might not be a new bike available to replace a stolen one. A lock merely buys you some time before the thief gets the bike. A Ziplock could be seconds, a decent lock could mean enough minutes for the thief not to bother.

All bets are off at night and in bad areas. When I lived in Philadelphia, PA in the 1980s, I saw a bike locked to a parking meter with a Kryptonite U-lock outside my apartment when I came in after midnight. In the morning, it was gone as was the parking meter head. And that was in the 'good area' near Society Hill.