Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Shoe Sizing - Length

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 03:21 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

Trying to decide on the best length for new road shoes - my current shoes , Shimano , are from 2003 and they are marked 45.5 European - ordered new Shimano shoes and 45.5 was much too small , mailed them back - my right foot measures 27.6 cm and I'm just going to assume the left is close - European sizing is offered it seems in 1/2 cm increments , that's about 3/16 inch .

The UPS charge for returns is $6.99 and so I want to minimize those - I've narrowed it down to Shimano or Giro - 46 Shimano is 28cm & then each size up is another 1/2 cm , with Giro it's 45=28cm & so on .

To give enough room in the toe box is it recommended to just go a full size up , European or would 2 sizes up be better , a full cm .

Thanks in advance for any guidance or rules of thumb !!
Old 09-04-20, 08:42 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I normally wear a size 12 shoe (American sizing) but I wear a 13 for my cycling shoes to give some extra room to take some pressure off the front of my toes.

Glenn
Old 09-05-20, 06:06 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
I normally wear a size 12 shoe (American sizing) but I wear a 13 for my cycling shoes to give some extra room to take some pressure off the front of my toes.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn , sticking with European sizing , maybe I'll order 2 pair , 1/2 size & full size up and then just make a decision .
Old 09-06-20, 11:03 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I wear american size 13 street shoe and a size 48 Shimano (circa 2016) bike shoe. It fits me pretty well.
Old 09-06-20, 02:17 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Trying to decide on the best length for new road shoes - my current shoes , Shimano , are from 2003 and they are marked 45.5 European - ordered new Shimano shoes and 45.5 was much too small , mailed them back - my right foot measures 27.6 cm and I'm just going to assume the left is close - European sizing is offered it seems in 1/2 cm increments , that's about 3/16 inch .

The UPS charge for returns is $6.99 and so I want to minimize those - I've narrowed it down to Shimano or Giro - 46 Shimano is 28cm & then each size up is another 1/2 cm , with Giro it's 45=28cm & so on .

To give enough room in the toe box is it recommended to just go a full size up , European or would 2 sizes up be better , a full cm .

Thanks in advance for any guidance or rules of thumb !!
I very picky about my shoe fit for cycling shoes and I have a hard time getting a fit that’s right. On line suppliers have a lot more inventory and choice than do local bike stores typically. The only way I’ve found that makes sense is to order 3 pairs - my size, half size bigger and a half size smaller - to get it right. The sizing from shoe to shoe isn’t something that you can count on and the comparison for fit is useful. FWIW, I wear a 43 in a Northwave, a 44.5 in a Sidi road/mtb shoe, a 45 in Sidi walkable MTB shoes. These all fit the same pair of feet in similar fashion. Go figure.