Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Does frame bags damage electronics thru vibration?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-21-20, 07:31 AM
consoflight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just found out about this forum so first of all, hello everyone!

As my topic name says, are those frame bags, or any kind of bike bags safe for mobiles? I heard that vibration can kill your device and saw some super pricey anti-shock mounts, wanted to ask then.. I have a frame bag with a waterproof phone sleeve inside it. Would it be safe to use as my phone holder?

If not, do you have any advices?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-21-20, 09:30 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by consoflight
I just found out about this forum so first of all, hello everyone!

As my topic name says, are those frame bags, or any kind of bike bags safe for mobiles? I heard that vibration can kill your device and saw some super pricey anti-shock mounts, wanted to ask then.. I have a frame bag with a waterproof phone sleeve inside it. Would it be safe to use as my phone holder?

If not, do you have any advices?

Thanks in advance!
A phone in a frame bag isn't being subjected to "vibrations" really. The bag is already a "anti-shock mount" ("shocks" are "hard knocks"). The things in the bag will move around but not "shockingly".

The "super pricey anti-shock mounts" are meant to make the phone visible while riding. They aren't necessarily any more anti-shock than a frame bag.

Nothing is going to be as safe as leaving the phone at home but using a frame bag is fine (not a bad option at all).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-20 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-21-20, 10:24 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,563 Posts
my experience from 17 years of bike commuting indicates that it is not a problem.

I used panniers for commuting, and always carried a Palm Pilot or iPod or an inexpensive Android phone. Never had any issues with any of them, and some of the roads were in bad shape. Of course, the pannier had plenty of other stuff in it, and that helps provide some additional mass that reduces the acceleration that the bag experiences.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-21-20, 11:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You'll be the first person I know of that ever ask about this in all my years on various forums and bulletin boards since before cell phones where even a thing.

I've always found cell phones pretty rugged with respect to vibration. Even a high tolerance to impact too if the screen isn't part of the impact.

For me I feel my phone is safe in my rear center pocket on my jersey. I've had thee crashes in 20 years and it survived there quite well. Otherwise any bike bag will be fine. Mounting on your bars will be the least desirable for me, but not for vibration. Just the chance that it will get knocked off and I'll have to go backtrack and retrieve it.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-21-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 08:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Nah. In the 1970s I carried a 35mm SLR camera kit in a Kirtland Tour Pack handlebar bag for hundreds of miles. No problems. Modern electronics are much more resistant to shock and vibration than old school SLRs with flippy mirrors and cloth or metal focal plane shutters -- and the best of those cameras were already considered pretty tough for that era. But phones, digital cameras, portable audio gear, etc., have almost no moving parts.
Old 09-22-20, 06:18 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Yes. I stopped carrying anything delicate in frame bags on my mountain bike because of this. On a road bike I don't think it's a problem unless you like riding pave.

Now I put everything on my backpack and I avoid my multi-tool getting loose (or even fully disassembled), my pump lasts way more, and there's way less noise while riding.

When I carried things on a saddle bag, I usually put the keys there. Once I retrieved my keys after a ride only to discover my mailbox key was split in half longitudinally. Metal fatigue because of the vibrations I assume (and probably low quality metal too).
Old 09-23-20, 09:44 AM
consoflight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh ok then I got it it is quite safe.

I alwasys carried my phone in my frame bag, it just bricked and the service said that it could be due to vibration so just wanted to ask it out.

So, I'll consider that as a bad luck (hopefully).

Thanks everyone!

Best.
Old 10-01-20, 10:56 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by consoflight
Oh ok then I got it it is quite safe.

I always carried my phone in my frame bag, it just bricked and the service said that it could be due to vibration so just wanted to ask it out.

So, I'll consider that as a bad luck (hopefully).

Thanks everyone!

Best.
It could have bricked because of it (nothing is going to be 100% safe). Lots of people carry phones in frame bags (or similar). It's possible that carry the phone in your back pocket is better but it could pop out (especially, if you crash).
Old 10-01-20, 11:14 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I've never had an issue simply from vibration damaging my electronics. My phone typically lives in my jersey pocket so it's not the same as you ask. My example is my old GoPro Session, while riding The DAMn, I put my GoPro in a handlebar bag to charge. You can see that the vibration did a lot of damage to the screen. The screen is replicable so it was a minor issue, but a good lesson about how a little sand and vibration can damage items.

Old 03-02-21, 07:07 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
If I had one of the super-cheap no-name phones, I might worry about vibration but not with any of the major names. I've used an iphone 8 in a quadlock case on a rigid mount for more than 10,000 miles on both a road bike and mountain bike and never worried or experienced any issues due to vibration. A frame bag would be cushy in comparison.