Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Steel bottom bracket crack: run to failure strategy

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 09:39 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts

I have a low-end 1990 Fuji steel road bike which hadn't seen much use in 25 years until COVID hit. I replaced bad rubber/plastic and started riding it for exercise. It has a cup and cone bottom bracket, and I noticed a bit of play so I opened it up. In addition to some very slight pitting on the non-drive side cup, I saw an internal crack at 6:00 beginning on the NDS running 3/4 of the way to the DS. No sign of the crack externally, though the bike has unusually thick paint. My initial decision was that the frame is now scrap but I could run it to failure being alert to crack growth. I buttoned it back up.

However, I got to thinking that I might be able to increase time to failure by:

a) drilling end of crack to arrest it.
b) install cartridge BB bearing/spindle to replace cup and cone, on the logic that I'd get more circumferential metal to reduce the load on the crack. (This assumes I can get all the right dimensions, which I have not yet confirmed.)

I think I can get away with $30-$40 for the cartridge and the tool. That's probably more $ than I ought to be putting into it, but gives me a little project to do.

Thoughts on this run-to-failure strategy? Any practical experience?

Crack is very similar to the photo (not mine; I buttoned it back up after cleaning/greasing). My crack is NOT intersecting any penetrations.

Not my photo, but the crack in my BB is very similar.. at 6:00 position, starting on NDS.
Old 09-24-20, 10:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
Is there room for a skinny hose clamp?
Old 09-25-20, 12:33 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I have a low-end 1990 Fuji steel road bike which hadn't seen much use in 25 years until COVID hit. I replaced bad rubber/plastic and started riding it for exercise. It has a cup and cone bottom bracket, and I noticed a bit of play so I opened it up. In addition to some very slight pitting on the non-drive side cup, I saw an internal crack at 6:00 beginning on the NDS running 3/4 of the way to the DS. No sign of the crack externally, though the bike has unusually thick paint. My initial decision was that the frame is now scrap but I could run it to failure being alert to crack growth. I buttoned it back up.

However, I got to thinking that I might be able to increase time to failure by:

a) drilling end of crack to arrest it.
b) install cartridge BB bearing/spindle to replace cup and cone, on the logic that I'd get more circumferential metal to reduce the load on the crack. (This assumes I can get all the right dimensions, which I have not yet confirmed.)

I think I can get away with $30-$40 for the cartridge and the tool. That's probably more $ than I ought to be putting into it, but gives me a little project to do.

Thoughts on this run-to-failure strategy? Any practical experience?

Crack is very similar to the photo (not mine; I buttoned it back up after cleaning/greasing). My crack is NOT intersecting any penetrations.

Not my photo, but the crack in my BB is very similar.. at 6:00 position, starting on NDS.
I have a Dahon which developed a couple of cracks coming from the clamp area on the seat tube. I drilled the end of both cracks and it has held up for 3 years. I would try it.
Old 09-25-20, 06:52 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I'm not sure I completely agree that a cartridge adds stability, but it may be incremental. The joint between the sides is often just a tight plastic sleeve. Good luck with it. And the cost of the tool may pay off on another bike sometime. If there's a co-op near you, they'll have a bin full of salvaged cartridges. And a tool you can rent.

If the shell fails, you'll have warning and it shouldn't cause harm if you heed obvious warnings. I don't know this from experience with a total failure, but it's hard to ignore BB noises.

Be aware that the cable guide screw may interfere with a cartridge BB. At minimum, loosen the screw when installing the cartridge. Sometimes the "screw" is just a plastic knob that can be cut off.
Old 09-25-20, 07:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Color me confused. The picture looks like you're showing us a cup. If that's the case, as long as you can screw it in without boogering it up, I'd think it would run for a long time (or until you break it trying to remove it again).

If it's the shell on the bike frame itself, you might see if a good welder can weld the crack back up. You'll have to fix the paint around the BB, and perhaps get your LBS to run taps into the shell to clean up from the weld.
Old 09-25-20, 08:05 AM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure it's a crack. Many bottom bracket shells were/are welded from sheet metal. The weld was made at 6 o'clock on the outside of the shell and then ground down. On the inside of the shell, a line remains visible in the steel where the two sides meet.

It does not hurt to switch to a cartridge bottom bracket and to take a look at the shell every couple of months, but I wouldn't be surprised if this frame had a few more decades of life left in it. By the way, the fact that the crack is only visible in the steel, not in the paint is also a giveaway: paint typically shows a visible crack earlier than steel does.
Old 09-25-20, 08:44 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
I would stick with cup & cone.
DS will take similar force/stress from either type.
Torquing down the NDS on a cartridge is going to have a "wedging" effect spreading the shell, like a pipe fitting.
A cup w/ lock ring isn't.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 09-25-20 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-25-20, 08:49 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26407 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
Originally Posted by lubloi
I wouldn't be so sure it's a crack. Many bottom bracket shells were/are welded from sheet metal. The weld was made at 6 o'clock on the outside of the shell and then ground down. On the inside of the shell, a line remains visible in the steel where the two sides meet.

It does not hurt to switch to a cartridge bottom bracket and to take a look at the shell every couple of months, but I wouldn't be surprised if this frame had a few more decades of life left in it. By the way, the fact that the crack is only visible in the steel, not in the paint is also a giveaway: paint typically shows a visible crack earlier than steel does.
...+1. That central bottom area of the BB shell is often partially removed in some higher end Italian bikes. It's not impossible it's cracked, but I've never seen that myself. Certainly your proposed repair will do no harm.

Old 09-25-20, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Drilling does help to stop cracks, but I've seen a lot of people that drill cracks fail to find the actual end of the crack and the drilled hole does nothing. Probably won't hurt though to try even if you do miss the end of the crack. Use a strong magnifier to look before you drill.

What Bill Kapaun said makes sense. And if you happen to have a two piece crank with external cups, that too, I think, will be better than a cartridge.

Brazing is an option too. For certain the more than 800°F heat is going to mess up some paint on the seat and down tube too. But if you want it to last longer, that's what to do. Doing nothing it still might last long enough.
Old 09-25-20, 10:13 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts

Same opinion.
Old 09-25-20, 11:24 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
You state the picture is not of your bb shell, but it is similar to what yous looks like. Without an actual picture of yours, everything is just speculation. Just going by your description, not so sure it is a crack. You have actually seen it, hence, you have a better idea of that than anyone commenting here. I would not do anything, including riding the bike, until I got confirmation from someone knowledgeable about such things, and has actually had eyes on it.

Last edited by delbiker1; 09-25-20 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 09-25-20, 12:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
You state the picture is not of your bb shell, but it is similar to what yous looks like. Without an actual picture of yours, everything is just speculation.
Good catch... in my speed reading ADHD (without the H) world, I missed that. And if they are just seeing the mark going through the threads shown in that picture, then that looks like a seam or other artifact of the manufacturing process.
Old 09-25-20, 12:57 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Picture does not convince me that it's a crack. To me it looks like a scratch. It's common to see a welded seam at 6 o-clock so that's a possibility as others have said.

Why not post a pic of yours. Any opinions based on that "similar" picture are low value.
Old 09-25-20, 01:45 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
To my old eyes, it looks like a crack on both sides of the BB shell....Drill it and see what happens,
Best, Ben

Just saw that it appears to have migrated completely out on side....possible toast to me.
Old 09-25-20, 02:45 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Bottom Bracket Surface Defect Solved: Not a Body Crack

I wouldn't be so sure it's a crack. Many bottom bracket shells were/are welded from sheet metal. The weld was made at 6 o'clock on the outside of the shell and then ground down. On the inside of the shell, a line remains visible in the steel where the two sides meet....
First off, thank you everyone for your advice. It helped me overcome my rush to judgment.

Short story is I ground on the defect and it was only superficial. No evidence of crack through body on either end or on outside. Problem solved.

Excess details: I opened it back up to make measurements and inspect more closely. I hadn't removed the drive side cup the first time. Ended up I had the same surface defect on the DS. Interestingly, the defect curves; I'd expect a tube weld to be straight. It is very similar to the defect in the previous internet photo I posted. Here is picture of mine:

Photo from DS. Surface defect does not touch cable guide screw hole.

I decided to splurge and get a cartridge instead of a cone/cup rebuild kit. I'll have to use a short screw for the cable guide.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by flangehead; 09-25-20 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Clarify title.
Old 09-25-20, 02:55 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
That's a weld line. It looks like it curves a bit because of the machining for the threading, which widens the inside diameter.

Hang on to the spindle and cups if the bearing surfaces are good.
Old 09-25-20, 03:37 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Not sure of this, you may not have to replace the screw. Just back it out before installation of the new BB, screw it back in after installation. I have a couple of bikes that I have to backout the screw before pulling the BB, both cartridge type, and back in after reinstalling. That is not unusual and it does not affect anything afterward.

I am glad you figured it out and there is no crack in the shell.

Last edited by delbiker1; 09-25-20 at 03:41 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 09-26-20, 08:16 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
+1 this. The OP's picture shows what I would identify as the weld seam. But the OP says the picture isn't his bike. A picture of the actual area of concern on the actual bike would probably help.
Old 09-26-20, 09:40 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Sand the outside and remove the paint. Turn the bike upside down. Find a magnifier. Using something like a syringe and needle, drip a bit of coleman fuel, paint thinner, something like it onto the "crack" and watch it. See if the drip keeps disappearing into the crack. Look at the inside and see if it's making that area wet. If the liquid is getting through to the other side, it's a crack and not a weld. Someone who is a pro at steel frame repair will give you the next step.