Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Protecting an Autographed Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 05:17 PM
quesofrito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello,

i recently had an Eddy Merckx frame autographed by The Man, himself. problem is i still want to ride this frame. any suggestions on how to protect the autograph? i had him use one of those industrial Sharpies.

lizard skins? enamel? any other ideas?
Old 11-14-09, 05:19 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My buddy had Joey Ramone sign his mountain bike about 15 years ago. He put some heavy duty clear tape over it and has ridden it ever since.
Old 11-14-09, 05:22 PM
DRietz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could just clear coat your whole frame, but that seems a little time consuming and a wee bit expensive.
Old 11-14-09, 05:58 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Not that I think this is a good idea, but my brother had a recommendation to bronze an article of clothing that he had signed by some musical group. It was in his "hippie" days and I think it was a Phish hat, so maybe that explains a bit of it.

If you decide to clear coat it, make sure you try that on something else first. I would wonder if the clear coat solvents might ruin the sharpie ink.

Last edited by beech333; 11-14-09 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-14-09, 05:59 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by quesofrito
hello,

i recently had an Eddy Merckx frame autographed by The Man, himself. problem is i still want to ride this frame. any suggestions on how to protect the autograph? i had him use one of those industrial Sharpies.

lizard skins? enamel? any other ideas?
Any photos?
Old 11-14-09, 06:00 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
Not that I think this is a good idea, but my brother had a recommendation to bronze an article of clothing that he had signed by some musical group. It was in his "hippie" days and I think it was a Phish hat, so maybe that explains a bit of it.
Bronze it, so the autographs will be sealed under the bronze?

That would make a for a fun Numbskull thread if the hat was put on eBay. "The signatures are there, you just can't see them!"

-Kurt

Old 11-14-09, 07:15 PM
quesofrito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's a pic.

Old 11-14-09, 07:17 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^^yep, you should bronze that!
Old 11-14-09, 07:20 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
3M makes a great clear film that is used for protecting paint on cars and on their head lights. Good stuff.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 11-14-09, 07:23 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by quesofrito
here's a pic.

Thanks for the photo.
Old 11-14-09, 08:16 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Just ride it. Eddy would. If 20% of it is left before you die you did ok.
Old 11-14-09, 08:21 PM
mastershake916

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, this is what you do.
1) Mask of a box that encompasses the autograph. give yourself about a 1.5 centimeters of space from the closest point of the autograph.
2) Get some high quality clear coat and spray it down, make sure to get some that is at least a little tolerant of some oil & dirt, because you can't clean the area.
3) After giving it the appropriate number of coats, waiting long enough and cleaning the paint, mask off another area along the border of the cleared/noncleared area that that will create a thin line, half of which is in the cleared area and half of which isn't. Primer it, then spray it with some spray it with some gloss black paint.

And you're done. You're left with an autograph that's completely protected and has a nice "frame" around it.
Old 11-14-09, 08:26 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't clear it...There would be no way the clear would stick without scuffing the paint unless it's not a catalyzed factory finish (which I seriously doubt)...It would flake off and probably take the sig with it...

Check out my bike blog!
Old 11-14-09, 08:55 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mastershake916
Okay, this is what you do.
1) Mask of a box that encompasses the autograph. give yourself about a 1.5 centimeters of space from the closest point of the autograph.
2) Get some high quality clear coat and spray it down, make sure to get some that is at least a little tolerant of some oil & dirt, because you can't clean the area.
3) After giving it the appropriate number of coats, waiting long enough and cleaning the paint, mask off another area along the border of the cleared/noncleared area that that will create a thin line, half of which is in the cleared area and half of which isn't. Primer it, then spray it with some spray it with some gloss black paint.

And you're done. You're left with an autograph that's completely protected and has a nice "frame" around it.

I mostly like mastershake916's suggestions. For number 2 you could probably use a tack cloth to clean the area. Not sure about number 3.

Originally Posted by kpug505
I wouldn't clear it...There would be no way the clear would stick without scuffing the paint unless it's not a catalyzed factory finish (which I seriously doubt)...It would flake off and probably take the sig with it...

A possible solution is to use a clear primer like Dupli-Color® Adhesion Promoter that doesn't require sanding (its used as a primer on chrome surfaces for Dupli-Color's Metalcast Anodized Color paints). You might want to test it on your beater bike or some piece of junk frame first just to be safe.

stan
Old 11-15-09, 02:02 AM
quesofrito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by family_belly
You might want to test it on your beater bike or some piece of junk frame first just to be safe.

stan

My beater is a Colnago. =)
Old 11-15-09, 02:16 AM
crazyed27
Banned

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cling wrap it before each ride or buy a new frame...its just that simple!
Old 11-15-09, 07:46 PM
kpug505

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by family_belly
I mostly like mastershake916's suggestions. For number 2 you could probably use a tack cloth to clean the area. Not sure about number 3.

A possible solution is to use a clear primer like Dupli-Color® Adhesion Promoter that doesn't require sanding (its used as a primer on chrome surfaces for Dupli-Color's Metalcast Anodized Color paints). You might want to test it on your beater bike or some piece of junk frame first just to be safe.

stan
I'm well aware of adhesion promoters for both metal (like chrome) and plastics. The type you listed for use on chrome actually chemically etches the metal so that a top coat will adhere (kinda)...Even Dupli-Colors directions for the adhesion promoter states you must scuff the surface.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 11-15-09, 07:49 PM
longbeachgary

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't mind having either of my Merckx's signed but I would just ride them. It's not going to add too much value to the bike and I'm don't plan on ever selling mine.
Old 11-15-09, 08:00 PM
nivekdodge

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the 3m plastic . Your biggest problem will be the marker fading. I had "Don Garlitz" on a dashboard ,protected with clear coat and it faded from the sun.