Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

A new model folding bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

A new model folding bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 03:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
A new model folding bike

Bike Snob NYC: It's Wednesday And I Typed This Entire Post On My Smartphone While Cycling!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-12-14, 03:47 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't really call this a bike, but a scooter. Definitely a clever design, but I don't see that much difference between this and the little motorized razor scooters that fold up pretty small too. I wonder how those solid rubber wheels handle bumps. Personally I wouldn't want anything I couldn't pedal when the batteries run out.
Old 11-12-14, 03:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I think it's deplorable. Amazing how people can invent such trash.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-12-14, 04:03 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I think it's deplorable. Amazing how people can invent such trash.
I rather think it's wonderful that anyone and everyone, no matter how deplorable the design, has the opportunity to bring their product to market. That couldn't be said just a few years ago. I wouldn't buy one of these contraptions, and it might not even reach its kickstarter goal and die a quiet death. But this represents the best of the free market at work.
Old 11-12-14, 04:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

That's a fair point. Since kickstarter can help a good idea along, these guys might learn quickly how dumb their idea is. I wonder if it's possible to contribute a negative amount.

Old 11-12-14, 10:01 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Why is it called a bike? I think it's an interesting idea as an electric scooter, but there's no pedals.
Old 11-13-14, 07:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I didn't even notice it's motorized. Did the video mention it? I thought they were just showing downhill coasting, which was one reason I thought it was so dumb. I agree it's not a bike.

For a long time, I have noticed that garage inventors with bad ideas like to enter the bike field more than others. I guess the cost of entry is appealing.

Old 11-13-14, 12:02 PM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
No, it didn't appear motorized.
Also did not appear to have any brakes either. Just a basic seated skooter - with Fred Flintstone brakes.
Old 11-13-14, 12:17 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
The kickstarter video's example of the "world's smallest folding bike" is bigger than an A-Bike, so there's a fail for either deception or lack of due diligence. There are no pedals - the laws are different for this sort of thing in various places (in nearly all the United States that's legally going to be a moped or a motorcycle). As a motorcycle with no lights/horn/gages, it's not going to be street legal in most of the world. The promoters didn't mention this, so there's another fail. White-on-white display of bike to potential investors (which hides details) - there's another fail.
Old 11-13-14, 12:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rider was not pedaling , it had no pedals , As I saw the site , theirs linked from BSNY.. basically a small copenhagen wheel with the batteries inside the wheel(s?)
Old 11-13-14, 12:19 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by badrad
No, it didn't appear motorized.
The video was way light on details, but their K/S web page shows the motor and battery.
Old 11-13-14, 12:32 PM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The video was way light on details, but their K/S web page shows the motor and battery.
Ah yes! Interesting design. The initial video was a bit sketchy, but the K/S page does show some decent looking innovation. Not a bad deal of $400+ for one of the initial runs.
Old 11-13-14, 12:49 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
I rather think it's wonderful that anyone and everyone, no matter how deplorable the design, has the opportunity to bring their product to market. That couldn't be said just a few years ago. I wouldn't buy one of these contraptions, and it might not even reach its kickstarter goal and die a quiet death.
Unlikely since it's already exceeded its kickstarter goal.

It looks much more reasonable to me for short urban transport than the Segway (and far more affordable), but may run into legal snags in many jurisdictions. Doesn't quite fit into the usual pedestrian/bicycle/motorcycle categories.
Old 11-13-14, 01:11 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's not dumber than the A-bike. I wouldn't expect much mileage from batteries inside the wheels though. Unfortunately it is yet another device born from man's laziness.
Old 11-13-14, 01:12 PM
Cyclosaurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Unlikely since it's already exceeded its kickstarter goal.

It looks much more reasonable to me for short urban transport than the Segway (and far more affordable), but may run into legal snags in many jurisdictions. Doesn't quite fit into the usual pedestrian/bicycle/motorcycle categories.
Looks like they got almost $30K in pledges since yesterday...maybe the BikeSnobNYC post gave them quite a boost.
Old 11-13-14, 02:42 PM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a fair point. Since kickstarter can help a good idea along, these guys might learn quickly how dumb their idea is. I wonder if it's possible to contribute a negative amount.
I couldn't help but think how man has said that about a number of ideas in the past. I think this thing testifies to the ingenuity of man. Not a bad idea for someone who wants to make a short commute, who perhaps has bad knees, back etc. This could, at least, get them where they want to go as long is it is a short distance. I doubt very much whether this would really sell, but who knows. Us Americans, as stupid as we are sometimes, bought into the pet rock of all things, and went crazy over the Rubik's cube and the hula hoop. We might just be surprised with this.
Old 11-13-14, 03:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Still Pedaling, those are fair points, too. I know that I'm terrible at predicting the success of products. I'm a technologist by trade, and I thought both the iphone and the ipad were bad ideas. Now I own one of each and love them. I also see why they were excellent ideas, of course.

Old 11-13-14, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by tcs
The kickstarter video's example of the "world's smallest folding bike" is bigger than an A-Bike, so there's a fail for either deception or lack of due diligence. There are no pedals - the laws are different for this sort of thing in various places (in nearly all the United States that's legally going to be a moped or a motorcycle). As a motorcycle with no lights/horn/gages, it's not going to be street legal in most of the world. The promoters didn't mention this, so there's another fail. White-on-white display of bike to potential investors (which hides details) - there's another fail.
It's still not clear to me: is it motorized or not?

I would be fine with laws that classified motorized vehicles as bicycles if they were below a certain amount of power output. As one of his last moves, Mayor Bloomberg of NYC made electric bicycles illegal. This was a dumb move. I have no interest in owning one, but I think they will fill a wonderful niche in time. Currently, they are being ridden very badly by food delivery people, but that's a people problem, not a vehicle problem. I have no problem sharing bike lanes with them. They are only slightly faster than pedal bikes, and they are nearly silent.

Old 11-13-14, 03:53 PM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Still Pedaling, those are fair points, too. I know that I'm terrible at predicting the success of products. I'm a technologist by trade, and I thought both the iphone and the ipad were bad ideas. Now I own one of each and love them. I also see why they were excellent ideas, of course.
It's funny you should say that. I felt the very same way about the iPhone when it came out. For years I would call them "Smart-a$$-phones". Well, as it turns out, both my wife and I own one. Whoda thought?
Old 11-13-14, 04:00 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The kickstarter page makes it clear that it is motorized and powered by a pack of 10 Li-ion cells:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery
Speed is given as 12 mph and a range of about 15 miles.
Old 11-13-14, 04:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Thank you. I should be embarrassed that I didn't bother to find the kickstarter page myself.

Old 11-13-14, 06:19 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by prathmann
Legally, in most of the USA this is going to be a motorcycle or moped, and as equipped, illegal for on-road use. As a practical matter, this sort of thing flies under the radar and is ignored until the rider gets in an accident, at which point the lawyer for the other party points out the thing had no legal right to be on the road.

FWIW, recently there's developed a new category of electric assisted longboards, meant for transportation. Invest if you like.
Old 11-13-14, 06:37 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts

I would be fine with laws that classified motorized vehicles as bicycles if they were below a certain amount of power output. As one of his last moves, Mayor Bloomberg of NYC made electric bicycles illegal. This was a dumb move. I have no interest in owning one, but I think they will fill a wonderful niche in time. Currently, they are being ridden very badly by food delivery people, but that's a people problem, not a vehicle problem. I have no problem sharing bike lanes with them. They are only slightly faster than pedal bikes, and they are nearly silent.
I have a no-name electric-assist folder I found on Craigslist. Pedaling monster hills with a boost is way more fun than most riders imagine. I still pedal them on regular bikes, too, but I like the different experience an electric brings. Plus it's great for bringing home a ton of groceries I would normally reserve for my car.
Old 11-13-14, 08:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by jur
It's not dumber than the A-bike.
You're kinda picking some low hanging fruit there.
Old 11-17-14, 10:22 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They are already at $175K for backers!

I checked the kickstarter page and there's one thing that's bugging me. They said besides the middle connecting box which is steel they are going to build most of the frame out of carbon fiber?!?! for $500 and under!?!? to do proper carbon fiber they will have to layer up the stress points to stiffen it correctly, which actually adds quite a bit of the cost because it's a labour intensive process! main reason there's different price points for carbon fiber road bikes.

I noticed 3 of the fellows are engineers and one is a designer. What they really need is a business student there also because at $500 they're going to go broke after the initial run! They can't cheap out on the carbon fiber frame else you'll be hearing alot of accidents with frame snapping! I'm just thinking for the price on such a working contraption it's actually kinda priced LOW. I've seen on craigslist people selling crappy a$$ steel bikes with a motor for $500! and that's just the basic non name bike with a motor.

to me looking if you are looking at it as a NON cyclist this product if working as intended would be AMAZING! mainly the size and packability. Say it's late you are a good 10 miles from home and don't wanna pay 30-40 bucks for a taxis and bus schedules are horrible, oh wait what did I pack in my bag? my futuristic transportation device BAM! off i go! Also in asian countries like Singapore you can multi modal with this is awesome cause you can easily fold and sneak this into the subways without anyone noticing and no one wants to pedal to work on a 35C+ day with a 80% humidex! Their roads are nice too.

someone here correct me please i might be totally off base.

Last edited by Azreal911; 11-17-14 at 10:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.