Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

English Touring Frame, Or just european

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 11:09 PM
amckimmey

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm thinking of planing a tour for next summer, I kind of just started thinking about it tonight. I was thinking I could maybe do England.

One thing is I don't have a touring specific frame. I was thinking I could just buy something over there. Get something I cant get in the USA. I don't really know any company over there though. I would buy it there for a big reason of not having to bring one with me, & then when I come home I would have a sweet frame.

Any Ideas for this, I'm kind of tired right now so sorry if it does not make sense.
Old 08-08-08, 11:33 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Call Mercian and get them to build you a bike. You can pick it up in Derby, tour England on it and then come back to the States with it. Look at a King of Mercia or a Vincitore

www.merciancycles.co.uk
Old 08-09-08, 01:57 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by amckimmey
I was thinking I could just buy something over there. Get something I cant get in the USA.
That certainly has a lot of appeal, but personally I'd be more at ease if I took a bike that I had totally checked out and ridden quite a bit, so as to get the fit totally dialed in.

I also like the idea of having worked on a bike so I know the thing pretty well before I hit the road. I just bought a used touring bike and am going through it: cables, brakes, tires, saddle, handlebars, etc. I feel like it will be close to optimized when I'm done, and that I will be able to fix a few things on the road as well.
Old 08-09-08, 03:10 AM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you're thinking about moving to the UK or staying there for 6 months it doesn't occur to me as a good idea to buy a new bike at your destination and then go home with you for some future tours. A new bike needs adjustments here and there and that takes time, when you're on the road one thing you don't want to do is staying in town waiting for someone to fix your rig, it's time wasted.

For a tour next summer you have plenty of time to put together one where you live, go for a ride around town or some small trips, and then make the adjustments. By next summer you'll have a touring bike that suits you. Flying is actually a minor issue compared to building a new bike.
Old 08-09-08, 04:00 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Bob Jackson and Thorn Cycles are two that come to mind...and I am sure there are others.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-09-08, 05:31 AM
TheBrick
Tinkerer since 1980

Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mercian are excellent bike but everyone I know who has had dealing with them says that their time lines are, lets say flexible. First workmanship, but to order a bike for date x could be difficult.
Old 08-09-08, 06:13 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12198 Post(s)
Liked 1,499 Times in 1,110 Posts
The way the dollar has dropped it would be pretty expensive. I have never actually seen
a Waterford touring bike on the road; have you? You could also have someone make you a Ti touring bike. That'd be different.
Old 08-09-08, 08:12 AM
Brains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second a vote for a Thorn

They will build to YOUR spec and YOUR size and deliver whereever you want. UK or USA

One thing to keep in mind is English bikes are built for English roads (ie driving on the proper side) so for an American the brakes and gears are the wrong way around. Just make sure you spec them the right way for you.
Old 08-09-08, 08:48 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I think the best touring framebuilder in the UK has to be Roberts. His speciality is fillet brazing which looks really good.
Mercian and Bob Backson are good for frames. Thorn is good for complete bikes.
Waterford can stand comparison with the best of these and they make a lightweight English style tourer not just the US expedition style.
Old 08-09-08, 08:49 AM
Magnolia_Fan
aka Cherith Cutestory

Bikes: 05 Bianchi Vigorelli, Surly Crosscheck, old school GT, Schwinn Worldsport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I did a very similar thing last year in Belgium/Holland. I went to Europe for a conference, and made plans to stay an extra two weeks to bike around. I didn't want to bring my bike from home with me since the conference was in Bulgaria and a several hour drive from the airport.

Anyways, I got myself to Brussels, where I bought a used bike, some sort of Puegot, from a bike shop there and rode it to Amsterdam. I brought my own rack, pedals, and Brooks saddle with me. It worked out quite well, I paid something like $150 euros for the bike. Here's a pic of the setup:

https://picasaweb.google.com/patrick....06768274954530

It was actually the first time I'd ridden such an upright bike, but it was really nice for touring!
Old 08-09-08, 08:52 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunburst
That certainly has a lot of appeal, but personally I'd be more at ease if I took a bike that I had totally checked out and ridden quite a bit, so as to get the fit totally dialed in.

I also like the idea of having worked on a bike so I know the thing pretty well before I hit the road. I just bought a used touring bike and am going through it: cables, brakes, tires, saddle, handlebars, etc. I feel like it will be close to optimized when I'm done, and that I will be able to fix a few things on the road as well.
+1
Purchase a Surly LHT and take it over with you. Ride it and then sell it just before you leave. Considering how much import and VAT taxes are your Surly is worth a lot more there than what you purchased it for here.
Old 08-09-08, 12:48 PM
TheBrick
Tinkerer since 1980

Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^ Best advice. Surly bikes over here are in general over priced. for what they are. You'll prob beable to nearly get your money back on a LHT over here.
Old 08-09-08, 03:13 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Brains
I second a vote for a Thorn

They will build to YOUR spec and YOUR size and deliver whereever you want. UK or USA

One thing to keep in mind is English bikes are built for English roads (ie driving on the proper side) so for an American the brakes and gears are the wrong way around. Just make sure you spec them the right way for you.
+1

Also, if you buy a Thorn in the UK, they will charge you VAT. But if you are traveling as a tourist and bring it back to the US there is a process you can follow to get the VAT back when you fly back through the airport. Thorn will likely know how to make sure you get and keep the proper paperwork.

I think though even taking the LHT to the UK would be the most economical option, arranging to purchase and pick up a Thorn in the UK would be a great experience and the "souvenir" of your trip that you bring home would last a lifetime...