Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commute by bike? But that's dangerous!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 05:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts

Everyone knows that cycling is dangerous. Except that everyone who knows this is wrong. Traveling by bike is one of the safest ways to commute, safer than driving a car.

​​​​​​​Cycle, walk, drive or train? Weighing up the healthiest (and safest) ways to get around the city

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-06-18, 06:59 PM
NiGoCo

Bikes: Couple junkers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been Motorcycle only for the last five years. I don't own a car. But to be honest I'm much more apprehensive about cycle commuting than I ever have been about my motorcycle. A large part of it is that we have zero cycling infrastructure here. Like literally none. And I don't see anyone out on the roads cycling apart from the occasional group of roadies out around the outskirts. On the other hand motorcycles are very common. I feel like most people are used to having motorcycles around and therefore look for them. I don't feel they would have the same amount of awareness for a cyclist.

I live in a relatively small town. Population of around 74,000 so take that into consideration. My response would likely be different if I were in a large city.
Old 09-07-18, 06:08 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Doesn't the article have it backward? The article say 47 km bike versus 330 km car to reach a 1/1,000,000 chance of dying. That makes the bike seven times more dangerous, not seven times safer. Am I missing something? It looks like the article writer did the math backward.
Old 09-07-18, 07:25 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
The article has it right. Cycling is the least safe from strictly a "death by crash" point of view. However, when you factor in the health benefits, cycling is the healthiest.

The odds say say that I am going to be one of the thousands of people who add years to their life with regular exercise, not the one guy whose life was cut short by 20 years when hit by a dump truck. If I am the one guy, I am happy to die doing one of the things I love.
Old 09-07-18, 07:36 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
The article has it right. Cycling is the least safe from strictly a "death by crash" point of view. However, when you factor in the health benefits, cycling is the healthiest.

I'm pretty sure the article has it wrong. The article specifically says that "These figures indicate travelling by car is approximately seven times safer than riding a bike.". Doing the math, 330/47 = 7. While I agree about the health benefits, the article is deriving the "seven times safer" assertion from the "death by crash" point of view. It would be more accurate to say that the immediate risk is seven times greater on a bicycle, but that the immediate risk is offset by health benefits, and then provide some numbers to back up the health benefits really do indeed compensate for the increased crash risk.
Old 09-07-18, 07:58 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I'm pretty sure the article has it wrong. The article specifically says that "These figures indicate travelling by car is approximately seven times safer than riding a bike."....
I think you have a "blind spot", maybe reading it backwards? The car is safer, as both the article and you say. And I agree with seven times greater risk of fatality on a bike, per mile, although that's in the middle of a very wide range of estimates. Because we don't really know how many miles we do by bike in the USA, and the "high" estimate is 2 or 3 times the "low" estimate.

Even including the accident fatality risk, life expectancy is higher for the cyclist. Maybe that's your whole point. and if so I'd agree with that also.
Old 09-07-18, 08:00 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I think you have a "blind spot", maybe reading it backwards? The car is safer, as both the article and you say.
Oh, interesting! Yeah, was I seeing it backward earlier? I was sure that I had checked several times before posting. I'll blame lack of coffee and will now go into the corner and hang my head in shame!
Old 09-07-18, 08:02 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Oh, interesting! Yeah, was I seeing it backward earlier? I was sure that I had checked several times before posting. I'll blame lack of coffee and will now go into the corner and hang my head in shame!
I wouldn't, since all your points were on target IMO.
Old 09-07-18, 08:03 AM
JonathanGennick 

I wouldn't, since all your points were on target IMO.
Eh. I should have seen that text correctly. It's amazing my brain's ability to see that which isn't really there.
Old 09-07-18, 09:23 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Not that I’m gonna stop commuting by bicycle, but recent research has suggested urban bicyclists and runners have significantly greater respiratory complications secondary to vehicle exhaust exposure. *cough*

-Kedosto
Old 09-07-18, 09:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Cycling statistics are useless unless they're accompanied by data on the circumstances under which people are injured or killed. There just aren't enough data.
Old 09-07-18, 10:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
From the linked article:

If you live in a Western country, you would have to travel approximately 47km by bicycle to have a one in a million chance of dying.

But risk-wise dying in a car accident is actually relatively unlikely, though your risk of injury is higher. You would need to travel approximately 330km to have a one in a million chance of dying.
So, the risk of death by bike is about 10x that of death by car.

It really isn't surprising there. Although, as @Gresp15C mentions, that risk may not be distributed evenly among all cyclists. Some may well have a much lower risk.

Most cyclists also ride less than the average person drives, even for the most avid cyclists... although, I'm getting in as many miles by bike as many drivers.

But, as also mentioned in the article:

And the health benefits of cycling far outweigh that risk. A 2017 study of more than 250,000 people in the UK showed cycling to work reduced your risk of death from all causes by around 40%.
Now, that 1 in a million per 47km is a bit of a concern...

So that means every day I get out on the bike, I have about that 1 in a million risk.

Say I ride 200 days a year, I am now down to a 1 in 5000 risk of getting smashed.

Now, do that over 50 years, and one is now up to a 1 in 100 lifetime risk of getting flattened, or about 1%.

Whew!!!

Still, getting back to all cause mortality, heart attack, diabetes, & etc. The reduction is apparently there.

Of course, calculating the risk of injury vs risk of death, it becomes much more grim for one's lifetime risk of serious injury, and an injury could have a significant overall impact on one's health.
Old 09-08-18, 12:09 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
These are averages so you can't extrapolate like that.
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Not that I’m gonna stop commuting by bicycle, but recent research has suggested urban bicyclists and runners have significantly greater respiratory complications secondary to vehicle exhaust exposure. *cough*

-Kedosto
I walk, cycle, run everywhere and I don't cough. I suspect they're leaving out other important variables (hence the limitation of these studies). Conversely, maybe I'm eating, drinking, or doing something, e.g. lifestyle, that mitigates my exposure to these elements?
Old 09-08-18, 06:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Everyone knows that cycling is dangerous. Except that everyone who knows this is wrong. Traveling by bike is one of the safest ways to commute, safer than driving a car...
Without getting into statistical arguments, it’s my decision to live a cycling lifestyle, so “say no more.” The only time I have to discuss the topic is with others (non-cyclists):
Originally Posted by EnjoyinTheRide
I personally don’t road cycle not in the sense of what really goes on. But I would say that I could understand families and friends having concern because even I as a driver get nervous passing cyclists, particularly in the larger groups.

And let’s be honest there is a lot out of your control. I mean you have traffic coming behind you, passing you within feet, sometimes going beyond speed limits (vehicles). And let me throw the worse thing out here in that let’s add texting while driving, cell phoning while driving and with all the new gadgets (cameras, tv's etc) they put in these vehicles there's more distraction for drivers.

I get the sense that the majority of cyclists do ride on the roads they feel comfortable on and do it as responsible as one can. But families and friends might not get that part of it as easy as the "drivers" side most understand.....
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago. The most hostile remarks, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.

Of course I contend with their fears using many of those talking points as mentioned above ["Once again: Health VS Cycling Accidents" (link)]. One soft argument I read on Bikeforums is that cycling in traffic really does look dangerous to car drivers ensconced in their vehicles.

Personally I feel pretty safe, well-lit, with unlimited vision with mirrors, and pretty nimble on my bike. Nonetheless, I’m totally attentive to the cars around me, and
I have a number of safety aphorisms in my mind to keep me alert (link; e.g., “Like a weapon, consider every stopped car loaded, with an occupant ready to exit (from either side).”)

Once though, I was standing on a busy intersection (Massachusetts and Commonwealth Aves) one Saturday night watching some happy-go-lucky student-type cyclists on Hubway Bike Share bikes, no helmets, riding along and laughing in traffic, and I thought to myself that really does look dangerous.
Furthermore, FWIW:
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened. Also, with regards to “recreational cycling,” actual organizing, promoting, or similar, may entail IMO a liability beyond a personal guilt trip if something goes wrong….

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’ :innocent
Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you …

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-08-18 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 06:58 AM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
life expectancy is higher for the cyclist.
Those who are supposed to live longer choose cycling. We yet do not know the reason why.

We need some statistics based on twins. Who has any?
Old 09-08-18, 07:07 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads

The odds say say that I am going to be one of the thousands of people who add years to their life with regular exercise, not the one guy whose life was cut short by 20 years when hit by a dump truck. If I am the one guy, I am happy to die doing one of the things I love.
As the article suggest, where you ride is a big factor on the safety risks.
Try to avoid cars and your commute will be pretty safe. Most US cities are continually improving by adding more commuter lanes and trails for alternatives to driving a car.
Old 09-08-18, 07:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by chelvel
Those who are supposed to live longer choose cycling. We yet do not know the reason why.

Originally Posted by joesch
As the article suggest, where you ride is a big factor on the safety risks.
Try to avoid cars and your commute will be pretty safe.
And perhaps double-blinded to the researcher?...Don't hold you breath.

And just ride in circles in a park? As I posted:
Commute by bike? But that's dangerous! Without getting into statistical arguments, it’s my decision to live a cycling lifestyle, so “say no more.” The only time I have to discuss the topic is with others (non-cyclists).
Just do it! (on your own volition):
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-08-18 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 08:45 AM
Gresp15C

No, we need to use common sense. There will never be enough data. We have relatively good statistics on cars because there are many more miles driven, and both the insurance industry and the government are hell bent on gathering data.

But there's nothing like that for cycling, and there won't be. If somebody were to publish something like twin studies on cycling, a reasonable first reaction would be to assume that it's bunk. We can either wait for credible scientific knowledge to emerge on this subject, or get on with our lives, which we have to do anyway. That's where common sense enters the picture.

What are the statistics for a sober middle aged person who primarily rides on low traffic residential streets and bike paths, wearing a helmet for all but the shortest trips?

In my view, the statistics are just barely good enough to tell me: 1) Cycling is safe enough for me to justify engaging in cycling based on other factors such as health and enjoyment. 2) Cycling is not safe enough for me to engage without additional layers of protection and caution, that probably make me safer, but also remove me from the statistical pool.
Old 09-08-18, 08:50 AM
wphamilton

We don't know why they chose cycling, but we do know that the physical exercise in general is responsible because of related studies of life expectancy. Some of the research was controlled very well for other factors such as diseases, body mass index, diet, and other lifestyle habits, in order to address your objection.

It sometimes IS reported that the subjects who cycle may have been just generally healthier than the population at large, and it is a limitation of the study. But not an invalidating limitation IMO.
Old 09-08-18, 09:04 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It's a bit of an oversimplification to say that people who ride bikes were already healthy, so we can disregard any health benefits, it's just a self-selected group of people with no health problems out there "showing off" their great health.

But people can start out in the sport when they're in an extremely unhealthy state. And they find the more they ride, the healthier they get.

A self-reinforcing cycle begins of exercise giving the person better health, enabling more intense efforts, which in turn enable still better health, which allow even greater levels of exertion, and so on. That's really how it works, IMO. And at the end of the day, the "Oh, they were already healthy" people just use this as one more excuse not to exercise.
Old 09-08-18, 09:25 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
.... If somebody were to publish something like twin studies on cycling, a reasonable first reaction would be to assume that it's bunk. We can either wait for credible scientific knowledge to emerge on this subject, or get on with our lives...
There aren't that many identical twins, where one takes up cycling and the other doesn't.

It's not scientific by any stretch, but coincidentally I DO have an identical twin, and I took up cycling at around 46 or 47 years old, he did not. It was 100% for commuting and transport, not recreation or training. He did start some fitness running sometime in that period, illustrating the weird twin-coincidence thing that people like to ponder, but he stopped after a year or two citing joint problems I think. I of course continued cycling. My own sample set of one is consistent with the general studies that purport health and fitness advantages for the cyclist.
Old 09-08-18, 09:30 AM
Gresp15C

In addition, a person could start out healthy, and become un-healthy if they don't find a form of exercise that they can keep up with. For example, the people I know who played team sports in high school were all healthier than me. Now they're almost all obese, and are getting knee and hip replacements like clockwork.

There are some super-self-disciplined people who can force themselves to exercise because they know that they need exercise. I'm not one of those people. For me, it has to be something that I enjoy for its own sake. I've tried running and low intensity weight lifting. The only two things that have clicked for me are cycling and walking / hiking.
Old 09-08-18, 09:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

My large amount of exercise has led me to eat better. My better eating has led me to exercise more. It's a virtuous cycle. I look at what a lot of people eat, and it looks like poison to me. I mostly avoid it, and I don't enjoy it. I am enjoying all my exercise and good eating. I spend a lot on food, and I eat an obscene amount, so much I don't want to tell people. Compared with driving a car, I'm not saving on fuel, because fueling my body is so expensive. But it's worth it to me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-08-18, 09:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

There aren't that many identical twins, where one takes up cycling and the other doesn't.

It's not scientific by any stretch, but coincidentally I DO have an identical twin, and I took up cycling at around 46 or 47 years old, he did not. It was 100% for commuting and transport, not recreation or training. He did start some fitness running sometime in that period, illustrating the weird twin-coincidence thing that people like to ponder, but he stopped after a year or two citing joint problems I think. I of course continued cycling. My own sample set of one is consistent with the general studies that purport health and fitness advantages for the cyclist.
Two or three years ago, there was a large scale study in the NHS of the UK. It found that people who bike commute routinely for most of their careers, even when they commute slowly and gently for 2 or three miles round trip daily, the live expectancy is raised substantially. So you don't even have to be athletic if you're just a casual bike commuter. The trouble is, there aren't many places with that opportunity. That's one reason I'm enjoying living in NYC. I wanted to commute by bike as a quality of life choice. I was looking for a job this past winter, and I had concentrated my search in IT departments in colleges and universities. I live one mile from New York University, but I didn't put much energy into applying there, since the commute would be too short. I wanted, ideally, a six mile commute. I got lucky and got a job in February at Columbia University. It's 6.5 miles between home and work (each way). I feel very lucky. I'm now at the point where I even ride in the rain, because it's more pleasant (or less unpleasant) than riding the subway, my alternate mode of travel. My current commute is half of what my previous one, and since it's such a more enjoyable distance, I do it more than twice as often as I did my previous commute by bike. I'm commuting by bike more miles now than I did a year ago.

Another lucky aspect of my commute is that while Manhattan has brutal traffic in the streets, I don't take the streets. I take the Hudson River Greenway and need to deal with hardly any motor vehicles, so it's safe and stress free. The scenery is gorgeous and always changing.

So clearly for me, bike commuting has the most benefits of all possible commute modes available to me. I'm very lucky to have it as an opportunity. It's not advisable or practical in other places.

Old 09-08-18, 09:40 AM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
coincidentally I DO have an identical twin, and I took up cycling at around 46 or 47 years old, he did not.
Wow, Just Wow! I wish long live to you both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.