Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show off your junk box builds

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show off your junk box builds

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 06:26 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts

Built this in the early days of quarantine. LHD with an elliptical chainring.

Old 11-02-22, 06:11 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Thought I better follow up on this thread since I initially posted the plan here. The saddle and clamp pictured got replaced because the clamp was shot, I also ended up changing the trigger shifters for thumbies because the triggers were pretty worn out. The thumbies were still from the junk box but I did have to put a $1.00 shift cable on it so I blew my budget right out of the water. It handles so nicely I've decided to give it a proper build next Spring with a paint job, drop bar conversion and lots of vintage Suntour.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 11-05-22 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-02-22, 06:17 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Old 11-03-22, 09:15 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 229 Posts
I just noticed I never did show the completed Lespo Samchully build. I worked well and was eventually sold to a young lady. The bottom photo shows the padded saddle she wanted installed.

Old 11-04-22, 09:36 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I think Maitre Jacques fits the bill if we're not too strict about it -

$50 for a c.1971 Gitane TdF frameset with stock Stronglight BB and P3 headset, with the top nut replaced with a Zeus unit.
$10 spent several years earlier for a 113mm Stronglight BB spindle that served on three other fixed-gears before this one.
Stronglight 93 crankset with the inner shelves shaved and the bolt holes slightly countersunk for single-ring use, scavenged from an earlier Gitane find, previously used on no less than six other bikes.
(Initially) Weinmann 500 calipers from the bin (later replaced with $10 + shipping Weinmann Carreras from eBay).
Brooks B17 purchased 13 years earlier that had been fitted to six different bikes through the years, with crash scars from 2000.
MKS Sylvan track pedals from the bin, fitted with scavenged Christophe Special clips and recycled straps with buckle pads and buttons that were initially on other bikes.
Dia-Compe Blaze aero levers from the bin, with one torn hood repaired with electrical tape.
16T track cog purchased for the fourth fixed-gear back from this one.
Nitto 176 bars and Technomic stem that had graced at least three bikes earlier.
Blue Tressostar tape purchased a decade earlier for a bike I had long since sold - dyed green with Easter egg dye and shellacked.
Initially built with tubulars using tires given to me with a junker, a scavenged tubular front wheel from who knows where, and an IRO hub I had bought earlier for $15 or so, a scavenged tubular rim and spokes from a wheel that had failed when the flanges broke.
Wheelset replaced later with a Kogswell fixed-gear hubset laced to Mavic MA-3s acquired by trading a decade-old Shimano dynohub laced to a Mavic MA-2.
26.4 SR LaPrade seatpost that might have been $5 at the old LBS.
Nitto T type cage that had been on my Mercian until the double handlebar mount broke - and one of the (non-critical) welds on this cage broke when it landed on the road. Superglued back together and fitted to a Minoura handlebar mount from the bin.

Potential disqualifier - about a year in, after struggling mightily to keep the fixed cup fixed in place, the left side bearings and cup failed. I had a set of Phil Wood French retainer rings purchased several years earlier, and wound up buying a used Phil 113mm BB for $40 or so - which in the end, I had to mount reversed to get the chainline just right.

I built this to be a beater bike to take on family vacations so I could get in a ride around beach towns - Edisto Island is particularly fun. Then when I was getting up really early in the summer I would pick this one for my Dawn Patrol rides before work, as it just handles so well. For a parts bin build, it is shockingly smooth and responsive, and the drivetrain is the silkiest smoothest one in the stable. Go figure.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 11-04-22, 05:15 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Here is my only junk build. It is an old Univega road bike that was in a pile of low end, vintage bikes. I got the bike for $10 and made it into a fixie with some parts I know I would never use on other bikes. It is a fixed gear with the cog threaded on the freewheel hub and a BB lockring. No brakes as well. I put some weird cut off drop bars on it as well as an ISM Adamo seat.

Likes For grant40:
Old 11-04-22, 05:19 PM
grant40

Here are a few more from the past that I don't own anymore.

Last edited by grant40; 11-04-22 at 05:31 PM.
Likes For grant40:
Old 11-04-22, 05:45 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Now you're talkin' guys! THAT's what I wanted to see!!!!!
Old 11-04-22, 06:08 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
I love this thread, and these bikes.... thanks to you all for sharing.

there something joyful and irrepressible about these builds.

Some of the best dogs are mutts...
Old 11-14-22, 01:57 PM
grant40

Spicy

Old 07-09-23, 01:15 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
This one is not C&V and 100% incomplete, but I promised I'd share these pictures for Mad Honk:

Recently, a neighbor gave me the frameset off a Pedego Ford Super Cruiser - one of these chooperesque-looking things. It has a ridiculously overengineered dual strut threadless fork and split handlebars:

The rear fender on these are one with the frame, and support the battery pack without any stay supports - so the weight of the battery cracked the frame/fender joint at the seat stays. No bueno.

So it's been sitting around a while until - a few days ago - I was lucky enough to find a rusty but half-decent Electra Townie 21D in the back of the scrap guy's truck. A few dollars later, it was mine, complete with bent wheel and jammed suspension fork.

Out of curiosity, I measured up the headtube between the Electra and the Pedego Ford. Identical. I checked the rest and realized the Pedego Supercruiser essentially copied the major geometry points of the Townie. After a few hours of switching parts, this unholy - yet strangely cohesive abomination - was the result. The rear wheel motor will have to wait a bit, as all I have are Park FS-1 removers; not the FS1.3 remover that fits the larger axle. That's on order.

A bit more trivia: The front wheel is also 100% parts built. Rim is from a friend who sold the hub, spokes were salvaged from wrecked Spin Gen 2 share bikes, and the hub was from a bent wheel thrown out by the LBS.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-09-23 at 01:22 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-09-23, 03:02 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,550 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
This one is not C&V and 100% incomplete, but I promised I'd share these pictures for Mad Honk:

Recently, a neighbor gave me the frameset off a Pedego Ford Super Cruiser - one of these chooperesque-looking things. It has a ridiculously overengineered dual strut threadless fork and split handlebars:

-Kurt

Wow, interesting bike that is. I could see the looks of it improving w/ the removal of the weirdo kickstand, the battery pack, and throwing a Brooks on there. I could see the looks of it REALLY improving by the removal of the Ford logo

Old 07-09-23, 05:17 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Wow, interesting bike that is. I could see the looks of it improving w/ the removal of the weirdo kickstand, the battery pack, and throwing a Brooks on there. I could see the looks of it REALLY improving by the removal of the Ford logo
Kickstand is an oddity, and it has to be like that because of the super-low chainstays. Both of the handlebars are adjustable in the fork tubes, incidentally; you can rotate them back like a stayer.

As for the Ford badge on it - I'll tolerate a car wearing the handed-down badge of a bike (Rover), but it really pisses me off to see a bike wearing the badge of some car conglomerate. If it wasn't for the fact that they fit and are in nice shape, I would have removed those Ford grips and canned them.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-09-23, 05:25 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
1979 Viking European

This is a 1979 Viking European. It has a Reynolds 531 plain gauge main triangle and forks. I had the frame and headset on hand and built the bike with parts on hand.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-09-23, 06:15 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
I got some time to work on this one today and should make Jdawg kinda happy to see me actually finish a bike. All parts were out of the recycle bin at the co-op other than the spokes, tires, chain, and cables. Total cost was about $7 in new parts, and all others were out of the junk bin. Smiles, MH

I need to put the chain on it but it is mostly done
Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-09-23, 09:12 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I built this bike entirely from the ground up from parts.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 07-10-23, 06:34 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
My Viscount 3-speed fixed gear. The only new things are the S3X hub, the tires, and the powder coat on the frame.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-10-23, 02:44 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
“Junk box” isn’t the word I would use but this one came out of my parts collection. 2005 Specialized Epic FSR frame.

1:44 h:min to build from parts to rolling.

Rode it 150 km for the “On the Road Again Challenge”. The last 30 miles was around the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge. The red arrow points to Pikes Peak.

Now disassembled and the parts faded back into the spare parts bin(s)
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: