Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Overcoming fear of riding in the cold

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Overcoming fear of riding in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 09:52 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Sounds like Wisconsin. People chat about the weather and some of us say if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

I'm not a scientist but it seems like Colorado is a drier / dryer (not sure of the correct spelling) and maybe ice would be less of an issue than some other places? Or maybe that makes it worse..... Avoiding ice when you have to get to work is probably the best way to go. My perspective is purely recreational and exercise, so if it's dangerous I can just turn around and go home. My rides are not that far.

God be with you!!!!
Old 11-13-19, 06:59 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
One good thing about Colorado is that they don't use a lot of salt on the roads, or at least they didn't when I lived there. As far as cold is concerned, we ski in cold weather, so why not cycle. Just find the right clothing and gear.
Old 11-13-19, 11:50 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I've gotten over my fear of the cold. I will not commute under 25 F. My fear had to do with more road condition and when it would be safe to ride after a snow storm. Snow melt rate like the number of days.I don't ride as much anymore, but ride when I can. We will see.
Old 11-14-19, 07:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
I've gotten over my fear of the cold. I will not commute under 25 F. My fear had to do with more road condition and when it would be safe to ride after a snow storm. Snow melt rate like the number of days.I don't ride as much anymore, but ride when I can. We will see.
Since I bike commute for fitness, before I got studded tires, on the days it was too icy or snowy to ride I'd do the treadmill in the morning. Sometimes I'd ride, but have to dismount and walk my bike for a block or two if there was too much snow and ice and no clear path to ride.

The fact that you are riding at all in the winter, and have desire to push your limits most likely means eventual you will have success in reaching your goals. I rode in the winter the best I could for 23 years before getting studded tires. And for the last three years I have been pushing my cold limit downward, now to 5F. That means that I now take in stride morning temps in the teens, which were below my previous limit of 21F.

As you said, you are older and more cautious...good! That means you will ride smarter and more safely.

Good luck, continued success and remember what Shakespear's Falstaff said, which is usually paraphrased as...

"Discretion is the better part of valour."
Likes For BobbyG: