Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jersey fits....?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Jersey fits....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 02:17 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Jersey fits....?

Hey pedal friends. Looking for some feedback. I a looking for a cycling jersey brand or even models within a brand that fit just a little longer. I am 5'10" and 180. Admittedly I am not as slim in the mid section as I should or could be. I am proportional, and fit overall, pedal a ton yet i am having a hard time with jerseys that fight my mid section. I love Pearl and Specialized jerseys and products but even their Men's larges are a bit short for me. Anything else out there with a nice aero form fit and a little more length in the torso? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-16-19, 02:31 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
The one that immediately jumped into my mind is a Strgao from amazon. It was a BMC team jersey, which you probably aren't interested in, but it is very long. Which I like. Despite the name and despite it being an amazon China product, it is very high quality and has stood up over more than two years wear and tear and still basically looks new.
Old 11-16-19, 08:44 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
Hey pedal friends. Looking for some feedback. I a looking for a cycling jersey brand or even models within a brand that fit just a little longer. I am 5'10" and 180. Admittedly I am not as slim in the mid section as I should or could be. I am proportional, and fit overall, pedal a ton yet i am having a hard time with jerseys that fight my mid section. I love Pearl and Specialized jerseys and products but even their Men's larges are a bit short for me. Anything else out there with a nice aero form fit and a little more length in the torso? Thanks for the feedback.
Are you talking about being short in the front? Road jerseys are made for sitting hunched on a bike which makes them "short" when you're standing straight up; if you're wearing bibs, this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-16-19, 10:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Aero and form fitting race-fit jerseys that run a bit short are usually intended for use with bibs. They'll look too short on most folks wearing shorts. I'm 5'11", 150 lbs, and my Pearl Izumi aero race-fit jersey would look odd with shorts instead of bibs.

That's such a common complaint about race fit aero jerseys on Amazon that those models are often deeply discounted to compensate for 1 or 2 star reviews on jerseys that should rate 4 or 5 stars. But the complaints are coming from folks who didn't realize that's how race fit jerseys are designed and they should switch to bibs for those jerseys.

Aero Tech makes kit for big and tall folks. Check their catalog to see if they offer jerseys that are reasonably form fitting with a little more tummy room and longer tail.

I have a few casual fit jerseys with longer tails and fronts for use with shorts. But they aren't form fitting.

Another option is more labor intensive. Wool jerseys can be stretched while wet and laid out to dry. Spritz a dry wool jersey with water to adjust the fit, then let it dry on your body. Pretty much like custom fitting denim jeans for folks who want to look like they were poured into their jeans.

And some folks will have their jerseys custom tailored to suit themselves. The hard part would be finding a good tailor or seamstress.
Old 11-18-19, 06:25 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Aero and form fitting race-fit jerseys that run a bit short are usually intended for use with bibs. They'll look too short on most folks wearing shorts. I'm 5'11", 150 lbs, and my Pearl Izumi aero race-fit jersey would look odd with shorts instead of bibs..
Yes, bibs would help. In addition to mitigating the short jersey issue, they also offer a bit of a girdle effect for those of us a bit thick in the middle.

As for Jerseys, I have found Louis Garneau clothes sizes to run larger than same sizes of other brands.
Old 11-18-19, 07:42 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I'm 5'8"-5'9" and cycle at 188 lbs. 36" waist and 43" chest. I have been using Assos jerseys and have found that their XL fits like it was painted on. Long enough and fits well if you like race fit.
Old 11-18-19, 07:52 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Hincapie Velocity jerseys are rather long. I believe they are only sold in the custom line, but maybe reach out to them to see what consumer line is the same?

Also, agreeing with the comments about bibs - they are the way to go.
Old 11-18-19, 08:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Aerotech Designs?
Old 11-18-19, 09:03 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are you talking about being short in the front? Road jerseys are made for sitting hunched on a bike which makes them "short" when you're standing straight up; if you're wearing bibs, this shouldn't be an issue.
This, and speaking about the back you don't want what you are carrying in your jersey pockets to be hanging halfway down your @zz. A proper fit will have the contents of full pockets secured on the small of your back. My observation is that people tend to wear jerseys that are fitted too large.