Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Best mile TT time

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Best mile TT time

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-19, 03:56 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Best mile TT time

Anyone practice the TT just to see how fast u can Cover a given mile?
Old 12-13-19, 04:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I race the 2k pursuit at the velodrome from a standing start.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 12-13-19, 04:34 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have an .8 mi. flat that I've done at just under 25 mph from a rolling start. It's a Strava segment on my 6.5 mi. TT. I'm 73 if that is of interest.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 12-13-19, 08:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I think the "robnol" user name Is enthusiastic about TT. You could search his posts for tips
Old 12-14-19, 09:58 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The last mile on one of my regular Tu/Th rides is pretty flat and constitutes a last-mile sign sprint. The mile begins at a 4-way stop, so the Strava segment starts far enough away to allow some acceleration first; and it ends with enough room to brake for the driveway; so it's around 0.9 mile total. I've got the top 3 times on the segment, at a nudge over 31 mph.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-15-19, 03:34 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Though I’ve not done the 1 mile, I have had a decent time on a .6 mile on a boardwalk at 23.8mph 1:43. That wood can rattle your bones.
Old 12-15-19, 05:58 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The last mile on one of my regular Tu/Th rides is pretty flat and constitutes a last-mile sign sprint. The mile begins at a 4-way stop, so the Strava segment starts far enough away to allow some acceleration first; and it ends with enough room to brake for the driveway; so it's around 0.9 mile total. I've got the top 3 times on the segment, at a nudge over 31 mph.
30 mph seems to be my limit as well bawls out so when i see these 40 mph sprints im very impressed.
Old 12-15-19, 06:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Anyone practice the TT just to see how fast u can Cover a given mile?
I don't think I've ever done a 1 mile TT effort. That would hurt. Lots.
Old 12-15-19, 06:19 PM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by caloso
u need to try it. I been racing in only TT past year.
the Eddys are nonaero bike 10 miles full gas events. Very painful but great fun.
Old 12-15-19, 07:31 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Get decent base miles (up to a metric), work the hills and sprints, you will find those little TT hammerfests a lot of fun.
Old 12-15-19, 11:18 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I did a 500 mile/48 hour time trial and thought "24 hours would be about right."
So I did a 24 hour time trial and thought "12 hours would be about right".
Did 12 hours and thought "6 hours would be about right".
So I can see myself when I'm 80 doing the half-mile time trial and thinking "A quarter-mile would be about right."
But that reminds me of this video I saw a while back, very interesting to me. I've never track-raced, but this event sounds intriguing. Yes I'd suck at it, but not any worse than longer distances:
Old 12-16-19, 03:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I don't think I've ever tried to set a PR on a one-mile segment. My private segments for personal challenges are usually 5 mile loops to help negate the effect of wind. My PRs are just over 20 mph on those.

And a couple of tough 6 mile straight shots that show 0% elevation gain but are actually undulating roller coasters with several short, steep punchy climbs. My PRs on those are 25+ mph, good for a couple of top tens. Which surprises me. I know there are much younger and stronger folks riding those routes, including the local pro and amateur racing club, so I have to assume they're not posting their Strava times publicly. They're almost certainly faster.

Looks like my longest private sprint zone is 0.35 mile and my PR is 31 mph, set last week. I remember feeling better than usual that day. Still not an impressive sprint for a short, flat segment. That's maybe 400 watts for 40 seconds. The strongest local pro and even amateur club guys can do that all day. But for a 62 y/o gimp with mediocre aerobic capacity, I'll take it.

There are no flat segments a mile long anywhere here, but no mountains either. Looking at several undulating but relatively flat segments with 0% elevation gain, it looks like my average is typically 22 mph with PRs of 25 mph on most. Varies a lot depending on wind and whether I'm riding with a group. All my PRs are solo since in groups if I'm pulling I try to keep it around 20 mph so everyone can hang on since we're usually the B group.

Now my curiosity is piqued. Normally I try to work on PRs on those loops, longer straight 4-6 mile TT segments, and a few short steep climbs (climbs are my nemesis). Now I'll have to switch my focus for a few rides and see what I can really do with maximum effort on a few one-mile segments.
Old 12-16-19, 10:26 AM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by StephenH
I did a 500 mile/48 hour time trial and thought "24 hours would be about right."
So I did a 24 hour time trial and thought "12 hours would be about right".
Did 12 hours and thought "6 hours would be about right".
So I can see myself when I'm 80 doing the half-mile time trial and thinking "A quarter-mile would be about right."
But that reminds me of this video I saw a while back, very interesting to me. I've never track-raced, but this event sounds intriguing. Yes I'd suck at it, but not any worse than longer distances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtYV35jFmks
i tried the vandedrome. Portable track and found iTV fast fun and but difficult. It takes huge efforts sustained power.
track boys are beasts.
Old 12-16-19, 11:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
u need to try it. I been racing in only TT past year.
the Eddys are nonaero bike 10 miles full gas events. Very painful but great fun.
Yeah, I actually have a TT bike that I built up with the idea of doing a stage race and maybe one or two standalone TT's. 10 miles seems like a traditional distance, but 1 is an interesting distance. Certainly not a sprint, but very short for a TT. Seems much more like a track distance.

I do 1 and 2 minute intervals all the time, particularly as we move into spring crit season, but I always do them by time, not distance.
Old 12-16-19, 12:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Yeah, I actually have a TT bike that I built up with the idea of doing a stage race and maybe one or two standalone TT's. 10 miles seems like a traditional distance, but 1 is an interesting distance. Certainly not a sprint, but very short for a TT. Seems much more like a track distance.

I do 1 and 2 minute intervals all the time, particularly as we move into spring crit season, but I always do them by time, not distance.
You should try a measured mile for time from a full power standing start. I think you will be amazed how hard it is and the standing start takes a lot of energy. When you have a distance objective coupled with the shortest time possible, it is substantially different from doing 2 minute efforts. When I do 1 or 2 minute efforts, I usually do more than one and that by definition means I will measure the first one and take a shorter recovery period versus max out the first one and then hang out for 20 minutes trying to recover while I cough my head off.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 12-16-19, 12:08 PM
thehammerdog

my goal is a TT bike this year. Thed Eddys are grest becsuse if is on your normal road bike so everyone suffers.
10 miles full effort takes alot out of you. We has ve 2 events a year one 10 miles flatish the other 14ish and good hills that suck the life out of you.
Old 12-16-19, 12:30 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by Hermes
You should try a measured mile for time from a full power standing start. I think you will be amazed how hard it is and the standing start takes a lot of energy. When you have a distance objective coupled with the shortest time possible, it is substantially different from doing 2 minute efforts. When I do 1 or 2 minute efforts, I usually do more than one and that by definition means I will measure the first one and take a shorter recovery period versus max out the first one and then hang out for 20 minutes trying to recover while I cough my head off.
I do a set of standing start intervals but they're very different: One in the big ring (53x15 or 16), focus on getting on top as quickly as possible, aim to hit 30mph in 30s. Recover, then same deal but in the small ring (39x16) for 30s. With this one, it's to stay smooth at high revs.

I will have to measure out a mile and give this a try.
Old 12-16-19, 12:51 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'm not in the age group, but saw TT and had to step in.

Nothing here is routinely flat enough long enough without a wind to get a good mile in. Up/down or wind/hurt. They're all a good bit out of town. So, I've one I try that's 6/10th mile that's down, flat, then finish up a touch. I'm 2nd at 33.5mph and around low 400's watts. There's an uphill false flat mile nearby I usually do at about 25 to 26mph on only around 290 to 320w.

Makes me wanna try it. More so, I'd like to find a good flat 4km piece around town. Do some pursuits. See if I can crack 5min with a "cheater" starting roll. I have one out of town by work, but always windy. So either it's a smashing record breaking 4min flat 4km with the strong wind........or a painful 7min slog coming the other way. Doh!

I will say when it's modestly flat and you can on your own power get the bad boy up to 30mph. That's some feeling right there. Even if very brief.
Likes For burnthesheep: