Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Training for century at 56

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 02:38 PM
DeltaChuck

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi to all. 56 years old. Been riding about ten years, although just the last 3 or 4 steady. Before then, ride awhile, put bike up, get back out several months later. Have not been riding much this winter due to a combination of short days, busy schedule and unusally crappy weather for South Arkansas. I also follow a pretty rigid resistance training routine. (2 to 4 times a week)
Normally I will make a 30 to 50 plus mile ride once a week. Try to get in 2 or 3 more rides of 30 or less. Usually around 20. This year I am setting a goal of doing a century ride.
So, here I am looking for advice from fellow over 50 riders. All advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-14, 02:55 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
There are really good articles, posts and programs available here. Be dog steady in the process of getting those base miles under you. When you are able to ride 75-80mi without a problem you are ready. I did my first century 3yrs ago when I was 53.
Old 01-19-14, 03:40 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Riding 100mi isn't so very different from riding 100km. Really. The trick is knowing how much and what to eat and drink. Hint: Lots and often, but not junk food. You must maintain your blood sugar. You must be comfortable on the bike. You must pace yourself instead of racing off too hard early. If you can do this for 50mi or 100km or whatever, you can do it indefinitely.

For me the prime challenge is that my knees will eventually get sore if I push too hard. At the end of really long day that's what I feel most. Base miles help spve this. Otherwise, just stay in shape and experiment with your replenishing until you find what works.
Old 01-19-14, 04:38 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I went through that last spring (@54). I'd been doing 50 mile rides every sunday (only about 80-100 total commuting the prior weekdays), so I upped that to 60-80 miles for a few weekends. Since those were flat and the century hilly, I put that on pause the last 3 weeks and did some hilly miles on the weekends instead, not really targeting distance but long enough to be difficult and increasing. The last weekend was about 75 miles, mostly hills but some resting segments more flat. The next week the century was a piece of cake.
Old 01-19-14, 04:39 PM
DeltaChuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Riding 100mi isn't so very different from riding 100km. Really. The trick is knowing how much and what to eat and drink. Hint: Lots and often, but not junk food. You must maintain your blood sugar. You must be comfortable on the bike. You must pace yourself instead of racing off too hard early. If you can do this for 50mi or 100km or whatever, you can do it indefinitely.

For me the prime challenge is that my knees will eventually get sore if I push too hard. At the end of really long day that's what I feel most. Base miles help spve this. Otherwise, just stay in shape and experiment with your replenishing until you find what works.
I experimented some last year with riding in a fasted state. 30 or so miles was ok. But around mile 50 the gas tank would start getting empty. Pushed it to 62 miles one day. Discovered what hitting the wall meant. Not the smartest thing to do, but I learned a lot.
What about preloading with carbs? Help or not?
Old 01-19-14, 05:21 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by DeltaChuck
I experimented some last year with riding in a fasted state. 30 or so miles was ok. But around mile 50 the gas tank would start getting empty. Pushed it to 62 miles one day. Discovered what hitting the wall meant. Not the smartest thing to do, but I learned a lot.
What about preloading with carbs? Help or not?
The various literature can be confusing about details but the bottom line is pretty clear. You need glucose for muscles and brain activity and you have only so much available in the muscles, blood, and liver. That might good for 45min to 2hrs depending on your activity level. You can replenish it only so fast so you must eat small amounts continuously. Also when you ride anaerobically you are burning reserves that can't be replaced easily in the short term. To go longer you MUST replenish your blood sugar in real time. Digestion processes food fairly slowly so you must eat early. If you wait until you are hungry it is too late. Of course all this explains hitting the wall when you try fasting while riding.

Carbo-loading is a different issue. There are techniques for getting more glucose in your muscles than would be normal. It involves starting early with blah blah blah...perhaps a week early. It is more than just eating a bigger plate of pasta the night before. I can't speak to it other than to say I wouldn't go through the trouble. YMMV.

Just eat, and drink water, and on hot sweaty days keep your salt level up too.
Old 01-19-14, 06:12 PM
DeltaChuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
The various literature can be confusing about details but the bottom line is pretty clear. You need glucose for muscles and brain activity and you have only so much available in the muscles, blood, and liver. That might good for 45min to 2hrs depending on your activity level. You can replenish it only so fast so you must eat small amounts continuously. Also when you ride anaerobically you are burning reserves that can't be replaced easily in the short term. To go longer you MUST replenish your blood sugar in real time. Digestion processes food fairly slowly so you must eat early. If you wait until you are hungry it is too late. Of course all this explains hitting the wall when you try fasting while riding.

Carbo-loading is a different issue. There are techniques for getting more glucose in your muscles than would be normal. It involves starting early with blah blah blah...perhaps a week early. It is more than just eating a bigger plate of pasta the night before. I can't speak to it other than to say I wouldn't go through the trouble. YMMV.

Just eat, and drink water, and on hot sweaty days keep your salt level up too.
Thanks Jim. That makes more sense than anything I have ever read!
Old 01-19-14, 06:26 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
If you can do 50-60 consistently you'll be able to do 100 as a stretch. For nutrition I would assume you are doing an organized ride, so find out what they offer for food, and eat at each stop. Grab some pocket food too and eat that in between. Don't think that you're OK and can skip a rest stop, just stop and grab something and then get going again.

On my last century I was still going strong, and I mean really strong, at the end of the ride. I think I ate at all the right times.

Also, find someone to ride with during the ride, someone that is riding at a similar pace. I start my centuries by myself and never end them that way. You'll see the same people all day long.

Last edited by zacster; 01-19-14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 06:30 PM
DeltaChuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Preferred foods for ride?
Old 01-19-14, 06:41 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Well, a banana is the king of replenishment food! I like snack-type stuff too. Almonds, power bars (like Larabars, Kind Bars), maybe raisins or dates or figs or even prunes, cheese stick, maybe even good dark chocolate if you have something else to go with it. A key feature is convenience, something you can carry and eat quickly. Something salty is good on hot days. Stop for ice cream! (I don't eat ice cream as a rule, but I wouldn't rule it out if that was all there was.)
Old 01-19-14, 07:34 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome to the 50+ DeltaChuck, I'll just say that getting and reading Joe Friel's, Cycling Past 50, if you don't already have a copy, is a good way to make your training plan for a century ride. My copy gets regular use by me just to keep things adjusted for me. Hope this helps some, best of luck.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-19-14, 08:58 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
What works for me on rides over twenty miles is Clif Crunchy Peanut Butter bars. I open several at the top, pull them out and use a knife to cut them almost all the way through in eight sections then slip them back into the pack. I eat one section at about fifteen miles, then every 7-10 miles after. I've done one century and several metrics and this works pretty well. The challenge is not over eating at the SAG's. Resist the urge. Lots of water, and on hot weather rides, sports drinks.

(1st metric 16, then redo at 57, 1st C at 58)
Old 01-19-14, 09:31 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Based on your weekly miles you could probably ride a century now, but you might not enjoy the last hour or two. Bike fit, hydration, fueling, and pacing are the critical elements. 100 miles isn't so long everything must be perfect, but the better you are at each of these, the more likely to have an enjoyable ride.

Try to get these sorted out so you can finish a 50 fully hydrated, fully fueled, and having no discomfort other than tired muscles. Keep eating and drinking all the way to the finish.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-14, 10:30 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I like these rice cakes for early in the ride as the protein in the bacon/Canadian bacon will take a little longer to digest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UiuqIWGe_s

I like these for late in the ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwt-DUpKPYA

The potatoes especially will leak olive oil so I pack this aluminum foil wraps in a plastic bag and just eat them off the bike. Both are easy on my acid reflux but I like 10 minutes after eating them to get back onto the drops anyway. I like raisins for potassium but I take potassium supplements too.

Don't run out of water and don't start out too fast and burn out.
Old 01-20-14, 06:30 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Parellel thread with some good stuff: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...8#post16424878

Old 01-20-14, 09:35 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Delta, this is what has worked for me in terms of nutrition
EATING FOR A CENTURY RIDE

2 DAYS BEFORE
LOAD UP ON CARBS: MEALS INCLUDING PASTAS, WHOLE GRAIN CEREALS, OAT BRAN, COUSCOUS, BROWN RICE, WHOLE GRAIN BREAD, BEANS BANANAS, SWEET POTATOES.

NIGHT BEFORE
EAT AN EASILY DIGESTED PASTA MEAL THAT YOU‘VE HAD A MILLION TIMES. DON’T EXPERIMENT WITH NEW STUFF OR SPICY FOOD. FINISH BY 9.00PM.

MORNING OF THE RIDE
TWO HOURS BEFORE THE START, EAT A BOWL OF OATMEAL WITH A BANANA AND SOME ORANGE JUICE.

REST STOP #1 , 20 MILES
HALF AN ENERGY BAR AND SPORTS DRINK. KEEP SPARE BARS WITH YOU.

REST STOP #2 , LUNCH, 45 MILES
PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH WITH CHIPS, FIG BARS AND JUICE, TO REPLENISH GLYCOGEN. ALSO GOOD ARE TURKEY SUB, HUMMUS WRAPS AND BAGEL SANDWICHES.

REST STOP #3 , 65 MILES
NO-MAN’S LAND! PSYCHOLOGICAL TIREDNESS! EAT CHOCOLATE. A MILKY WAY IS GOOD. FREEZE IT THE NIGHT BEFORE.

REST STOP # 4, 85 MILES
HYDRATION IS YOUR PRIORITY. PACK SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE ENERGY DRINK POWDER IN A ZIPLOC BAG AND MIX IT AT THIS STOP. THIS WILL REPLENISH YOU FOR THE FINAL MILES.

FINISH, 100 MILES
STRETCH OUT. WITHIN 20 MINUTES OF FINISHING, EAT CHICKEN WITH LINGUINI TO RESTOCK YOUR GLYCOGEN STORES WHILE YOUR MUSCLES ARE AT THEIR HUNGRIEST.

Good luck - it'll be a breeze, but at 80 or so miles you might wonder why you are doing this to yourself!

p.s. didn't mean to SHOUT, but I cut and pasted from something I've had for along time

Last edited by Artmo; 01-20-14 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 01-20-14, 09:39 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Or do a century like Seagull. The mile 83 rest stop has pie with ice cream.
Old 01-20-14, 09:57 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
https://www.bikenewyork.org/advice/tr...tury-training/

The members in my club come in every age and experience bracket.
But with consistent training; almost everyone was able to do a century.
In this club ride from last year; some riders were new cyclists but everybody
finished the ride up Bear Mountain from New York City - over 100 miles and
over 7,000 feet of climbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqxnk...6zPoymgKaIoDLA

Last edited by 1nterceptor; 01-20-14 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added mileage
Old 01-20-14, 09:58 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
I don't have advice so much on what to eat, but how.

Eat early and often. Depending on the heat and other factors, you may lose your appetite as the day rolls on, and if that happens, it's bonk time. Bonking sucks big time, so eat as much as you can, while you can, and you'll have the energy to get through.

My general rule is that if you can do X distance comfortably, you can do 2X with reasonable discomfort. My bet is that you could run out and do that century now if you wanted to.

Old 01-20-14, 12:09 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395
I don't have advice so much on what to eat, but how.

Eat early and often. Depending on the heat and other factors, you may lose your appetite as the day rolls on, and if that happens, it's bonk time. Bonking sucks big time, so eat as much as you can, while you can, and you'll have the energy to get through.

My general rule is that if you can do X distance comfortably, you can do 2X with reasonable discomfort. My bet is that you could run out and do that century now if you wanted to.
Good advice, Biker395. I would add to try different foods on your 50 mile rides. I would also suggest trying sports drinks. For centuries, 300k, and double century rides I wear a camelbak and carry two 20 oz bottles, one with Hammer Perpetuem, and one with Hammer Heed. It is also a good idea to carry gels with you, for a quick boost to get you to the next sag stop.
Old 01-20-14, 01:10 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
Good advice, Biker395. I would add to try different foods on your 50 mile rides. I would also suggest trying sports drinks. For centuries, 300k, and double century rides I wear a camelbak and carry two 20 oz bottles, one with Hammer Perpetuem, and one with Hammer Heed. It is also a good idea to carry gels with you, for a quick boost to get you to the next sag stop.
I did an entire century on Perpetuem once. My total consumption was about 70 oz of Perpetuem, 5 doses of gel, and two plain waterbottles. It worked great -- got to the end and felt great. But the taste! Haven't been able to drink it ever since!

This may be the year I go back and do Horsey Hundred again. For a northerner, it's pretty early in the year and it's usually my first 50+ mile ride of the year. Jumping from 30-35 flat miles to 100 rolling-to-steep miles gets me a little tired; but I always have fun.
Old 01-20-14, 01:21 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I did an entire century on Perpetuem once. My total consumption was about 70 oz of Perpetuem, 5 doses of gel, and two plain waterbottles. It worked great -- got to the end and felt great. But the taste! Haven't been able to drink it ever since!

This may be the year I go back and do Horsey Hundred again. For a northerner, it's pretty early in the year and it's usually my first 50+ mile ride of the year. Jumping from 30-35 flat miles to 100 rolling-to-steep miles gets me a little tired; but I always have fun.
Never liked the taste of Perpetuem, either. But I tried these on the Trona 353:

https://www.outsideonline.com/blog/ou...um-solids.html

It was unexpectedly COLD (below freezing) coming back through the Antelope Valley, and I didn't want to stop, so I kept popping and chewing on those pups. They're not cheap, but they are effective, and I found them very palatable and easy to eat while riding.

Old 01-20-14, 01:41 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395
Never liked the taste of Perpetuem, either. But I tried these on the Trona 353:

https://www.outsideonline.com/blog/ou...um-solids.html

It was unexpectedly COLD (below freezing) coming back through the Antelope Valley, and I didn't want to stop, so I kept popping and chewing on those pups. They're not cheap, but they are effective, and I found them very palatable and easy to eat while riding.
Strangely enough, the orange vanilla flavor of perpetuem doesnt have much taste.
Old 01-20-14, 01:42 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
https://www.bikenewyork.org/advice/tr...tury-training/

The members in my club come in every age and experience bracket.
But with consistent training; almost everyone was able to do a century.
In this club ride from last year; some riders were new cyclists but everybody
finished the ride up Bear Mountain from New York City - over 100 miles and
over 7,000 feet of climbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqxnk...6zPoymgKaIoDLA
7000' of climbing to Bear Mountain? The mountain itself is only around 1500', where is the rest? I did the ride from Nyack to the top, and while there are some hills along the way, there is no way that it adds up to 7000', and it isn't that hilly from the city to Nyack even if you look for hills.
Likes For zacster:
Old 01-20-14, 02:20 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
7000' of climbing to Bear Mountain? The mountain itself is only around 1500', where is the rest?
You do it five times? ;]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.