Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just starting to bike in the cold

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just starting to bike in the cold

Old 12-06-16, 07:46 AM
edawg55

Bikes: Raleigh Merit 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went 18 miles yesterday and it was 40 out. After the first 10 mins I was fine but for some reason I got winded quick. My neighbor tells me I'm crazy. lol I think around 40 is probably the lowest temp I'll ride in though. So I might have a week or two left to ride.
Old 12-06-16, 07:49 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Overcast and 27 degrees is my cut off. Found it last year. Anything above that and I'm good to go.

As many others have said, its all about layering correctly.
Old 12-06-16, 08:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I would suggest accepting reduced performance & continuing to ride
Old 12-06-16, 08:05 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
posted this on a different thread, but it applies here:

We have dreary weather today. I checked the hourly and decided not to haul my bike into the office for a hookie ride because of the 13 mph NNW.
But most of the winter we will have 60-degree weather. On clear days, often start at 40 and end at 80.
I bike in layers in the winter, and every bike has a place to put them (and swap for shorty socks) as the day warms.

Old 12-06-16, 08:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by bulldog1935
nice light mount. how'd you do it?
Old 12-06-16, 08:29 AM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Here in Phoenix, it cools off pretty quickly after sunset, and that is obscenely early this time of year.

In the truly hot part of the summer here, I mostly ride at night.

Like others, its dark when I leave for work this time of year, and dark when I get home.

The temperatures are seldom below 50 until late in the evening, say 10 PM, but it is the short days that sap my "get up and go" out and ride.

I also don't have much in the way of reflective nighttime cool weather gear...but then, I don't have any nighttime reflective summer gear either. Just lights. So that must be just be an excuse. Reflective gear is only for svelte people, not for Clydes like me. Cars bounce off of us, I guess. Meh. More lights.

The cooler weather is nice, but I hate "the going of the light..."

Gotta pick up my game. Silly to let 40-50 degree temps, or the lack of daylight, stop your riding. Never stopped my running when I was a young guy.
Old 12-06-16, 08:36 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It's in the high 30's (zoiks!) here this morning and I'm headed out for a ride around 7am. Gonna be doing some serious layering before I head out..
Old 12-06-16, 08:57 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice light mount. how'd you do it?
The bag is a custom from Ruthworks to hang on a Nitto F15 handlebar rack.
I used a Cygo helmet mount, and chatted with Ely about the plan. He put a couple of velcro straps on the bottom of the bag, which help to secure it. But from the start, my plan was for rando bag, which always has a rigid plastic U-box - and to secure the light mount with M4s. The M4 button-heads facing inside the bag are smooth.

There's a tilt adjustment on the Cygo helmet mount.

The geometry of the bike is really not a front load hauler, so I never plan to put more than layers and shell (wallet and keys) in this bag.
All my roadside weight is in the saddle wedge. The bag is also big enough to stuff my daughter's layers, as well.

There are definitely cheaper bags for Nitto F-15, and I did consider the Ostrich F516 bag from Alex's cycle in Japan. But I knew I could do the light mount on the custom bag from Ely.
Alex also sells the Nitto F-15 for a very good price ($65), and the Ostrich alternative, the Hook Rack K.

The light was integral to my plan from the start, because this bike has no other place to put a light except the handlebars, and a bag crops that.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 12-06-16 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-06-16, 09:13 PM
Currmudge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last decade (most of it, anyway), I've had a commute under 4 miles. I used to stretch it for fun. When it was 9+ miles, I'd still ride until the roads were too hazardous -- temps were irrelevant.

And they don't mean much now, either. Insulated coveralls carried me through -5F/-35f windchill for 10 miles.
Old 12-07-16, 07:02 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
It was 34.5° on Monday when I rode. I'm moving my way down in temps.

The core, I'm good. synthetic t-shirt, synthetic long sleeve t-shirt, thin sweatshirt, fleece, and thin windbreaker jacket. Hands were fine with a thin pair of non-cycling gloves I have. I have better options in the closet as temps decrease yet.

The head, or more specifically the ears, were a different matter. I cut the ride short as all I had was a regular tassel hat. The wind blew right through it. Yesterday was raining so I took a trip to Performance and bought a cycling cap that will cover the ears and a balaclava for when it gets colder. Will try out the hat tonight if it isn't raining.
Old 12-07-16, 07:52 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by mrodgers
the ears
yes! can't find my cycling headband! works so well & cost me $20 I think
Old 12-07-16, 09:55 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
It was 34.5° on Monday when I rode. I'm moving my way down in temps.

The core, I'm good. synthetic t-shirt, synthetic long sleeve t-shirt, thin sweatshirt, fleece, and thin windbreaker jacket. Hands were fine with a thin pair of non-cycling gloves I have. I have better options in the closet as temps decrease yet.

The head, or more specifically the ears, were a different matter. I cut the ride short as all I had was a regular tassel hat. The wind blew right through it. Yesterday was raining so I took a trip to Performance and bought a cycling cap that will cover the ears and a balaclava for when it gets colder. Will try out the hat tonight if it isn't raining.

trial and error and dont give up :-)
Old 12-07-16, 09:57 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
headband is smart. I've also seen small fleece ear mittens - little dusters that just cover each ear.

here they are - ear mitts - https://sprigs.com/earbags/?gclid=Cjw...uCFhoCVi3w_wcB
Old 12-10-16, 08:47 PM
randomwon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its alot more exhilirating with all the cold air hitting your lungs and if youre prepared clothing wise you wont really feel anything.
Old 12-11-16, 10:37 PM
TreyWestgate

Bikes: motobecane outcast 29er singlespeed and nashbar singlespeed road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
I used to think that anything time the temperature was under 60, biking was cold. Then it was anything under 50. Then it was under 40. I am learning to love biking in the colder weather. I have been biking in temps under 40 and it has been lots of fun. Why was I such a wimp before? If you're not biking because the weather isn't "nice enough", then you're missing hours of wonderful biking. How do others feel about this?
Whatever you do don't frostbite your fingers!
Old 12-12-16, 09:10 AM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15 below is my personal "best". It was a surreal experience. So cold the freewheel wouldn't catch properly- had to pedal super fast to get it to engage. Co workers were duly impressed upon arrival LOL. Really though the cold doesn't bug me all that much. The worst thing would be driving to work.
Old 12-12-16, 09:58 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Yesterday was raining so I took a trip to Performance and bought a cycling cap that will cover the ears and a balaclava for when it gets colder. Will try out the hat tonight if it isn't raining.
So, as I said, if not raining, I'd give it a go with the cycling specific head and face garb. It dropped down to 32°. Had the same tech t-shirt, long sleeve, cotton sweatshirt, fleece, and rain jacket. Wore just the cycling cap and was toasty warm except for the face and neck. I didn't realize it was going to go lower than the other night. 2° is quite a change at that low temps.

Then on Thursday I headed out adding a heavy winter jacket I wear to work and the balaclava. It dropped to 22.6° while I was out. I was plenty warm with everything but the fingers and toes. Had ski gloves on for the fingers, they weren't too bad. Toes got pretty darn cold. I only have my work shoes that I use because the soles are stiff. I'm hot all the time and they were just fine at 32°. With the wind at 22°, I could feel it going through the shoes. I can't find anything in footwear as I wear a 4E width shoe. Instead of wasting $100+ on shoes while trying to save up for a place to live, I'll just make the cutoff around 30°. I'll be perfectly warm around 30-28°. No sense in making it painful, then it's not nearly as much fun.
Old 12-12-16, 11:05 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Yesterday began with temps in the low 30s F and climbed to the mid 30s for the day. I rode 27 miles and though well layered and wearing warm ski gloves and with bike shoes in warm cycling booties, feet and hands got cold which surprised me. It was the coldest day of the year around here. Obviously some adjustment is in order, probably to attitude. In any case, the solstice is in a few days with days getting longer and eventually, warmer.
Old 12-12-16, 12:09 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by berner
adjustment?
chemical toe warmers & thin silk glove liners should help
Old 12-12-16, 01:01 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
18 degrees and blowing snow this AM = fat bike, ski helmet & goggles, insulated boots, gauntlet gloves, balaclava, polypro layer + softshell on both top and bottom. I was sweating 15 minutes into the ride given the 5 inches of crusty, slippery snow we were plowing through and the 8 psi in my tires. 30 minutes into the ride, I removed the goggles and opened the vents on my jacket. With this getup, I've ridden down to 0 degrees without issue.

In other words, I laugh heartily at some of the above "cold weather riding" in dry weather in the 40s. Those are perfect riding conditions.
Old 12-13-16, 12:01 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Yesterday began with temps in the low 30s F and climbed to the mid 30s for the day. I rode 27 miles and though well layered and wearing warm ski gloves and with bike shoes in warm cycling booties, feet and hands got cold which surprised me. It was the coldest day of the year around here. Obviously some adjustment is in order, probably to attitude. In any case, the solstice is in a few days with days getting longer and eventually, warmer.
Don't check the weather channel for Thursday.
Old 12-13-16, 12:13 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I spend time on a telemark skiing forum. One of the guys from the mid-west just reported a fine snow dump and posted a nice ski video. We are likely to get some of that in New England but not as much where I am. Just in case though, I'm going to wax my skis. Fortune favors those who are prepared,
Old 12-13-16, 02:06 PM
rumrunn6

wax my skis
fond memories of the smell from burnishing XC ski wax with a torch. not sure if ppl even do that anymore
Old 12-13-16, 09:05 PM
milton banana

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
37 degrees is my personal best. I find as I get older cycling in the wind isn't enjoyable. Especially during the winter.
Old 12-13-16, 11:42 PM
MikeinFL

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I admire you cold riders. Greatly. I'm down here in Fl and it's perfect 65-75 degreeish sunny spring like weather. I went out in 50's temp and I don't see how I will ever get used to it. Hot and humid I can handle. Cold and damp I can't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.