Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Prescription Sunglasses

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Prescription Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 03:53 PM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Oakley's are pricey, but you can order cycling-specific progressive lenses. I'm very happy with them. Agree that CostCo is a good bet, too.
Old 04-08-18, 05:59 PM
mcgeggy

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Synapse (105)

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have issues riding with glasses, where the sun will be at the perfect angle to hit your eyes through the space between the top of the glasses frames and your forehead? Are there any prescription sunglass frames that cover that gap?

I wear glasses that come with magnetic clip on shades, but the glare from the sun sneaking in through that open area is terrible. Right now I'm using a helmet that has a sun visor that sits over your glasses. But it would be nice to have prescription sunglasses that would achieve the same coverage...
Old 04-08-18, 07:14 PM
love2pedal.com

Bikes: Colnago C50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have ordered from goggles4u a few times and have been very happy.

The pair I have now cost me about $45 all in. That is for the frame, prescription lenses and transition tinting (the kind that turns dark in the sun and back to clear when you are out of the sun).

The selection of frames is pretty slim but I did find some I liked.

You have to be comfortable doing all the frame measuring and pupil distance measuring yourself since it is an online store.

Once you submit your order it takes about 2 weeks to get them.

If you sign up ahead of time at their site to be on their email list, you will regularly get discount codes that are pretty substantial.
Old 04-08-18, 07:48 PM
Rudebob

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would second zenni optical. I have bought several pairs of glasses and prescription goggles from them. Currently I have two pair for cycling, one tinted for day use and one clear for night rides. Both cost $25.00 each. The goggles actually use a prescription insert. They will not impress the fashion-conscious, but the look decent enough, especially for the cost.
Old 04-11-18, 08:40 PM
prepsheriff

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$400/ Lenscrafters/ Ray Bans..
Old 04-12-18, 11:54 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I wear only all-metal frames (except the ear and nose pieces) for all my riding. Never broken a pair and Ihave crashed many times over the past 50 years. Bent up a few. I have pushed my glasses nto my face and gotten cuts. Never thought about breaking a pair in a crash until you posted. Given my track record, I'll take your observation as a note to stay all metal. (For sunglasses, I have had good luck with Ray Bans.)

I wrote this then realized I have a pair of Ray Ban glasses with CF temples I purchased for driving and now use for everything after I killed my riding glasses (not on me at the time). Guess I need to search out a new pair.

Ben
I have a small scar on the right temple and a "dueling scar" across my left cheekbone, both from plastic glasses frames breaking in a bicycle crash (right: pothole solo, when I was a high school freshman; left: collision with a left-crossing motorist when I was 26).

For the past couple of decades I have worn all-metal frames with magnetic clip-ons. I use these with my "office progressive" correction (40% near-field, 40% mid-field, top 20% far).
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-14-18, 04:07 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgeggy
Does anyone have issues riding with glasses, where the sun will be at the perfect angle to hit your eyes through the space between the top of the glasses frames and your forehead?
I've been wearing mountain bike helmets with the removable plastic visor for the past dozen years to address that exact issue.
Old 04-14-18, 04:20 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I think the transition lenses work pretty well.
Old 04-15-18, 07:05 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I have a pair of wrap around sports/ motorcycles glasses from Walmart. They have inserts for dust. The frames were cheap but progressive changing lenses were the expensive part.

For Zenni how does one measure you pupil distance and reader transition? I’d like to try them as I have a new prescription.
Old 04-15-18, 10:42 AM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Frames Direct is a good online retailer. I have purchased a few progressives from them...always on the money. They have a branch called Armed Forces Eyewear, offering deeper discounts for military and first responders.

When ordering progressive lenses online, communicate with the shop about your preference for seg height, which is the distance from the bottom of the lense (not the frame) to 1 mm below your pupil when your head is level, looking straight ahead. That determines where correction shifts from near distance to far distance.

There are apps for PD using your cell phone camera.
Old 04-17-18, 07:46 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Try online. I've gotten a few pair from Zenni Optical They have lots of different styles, and the service is ok. The glasses I've gotten work well, and I have no issues with my vision while wearing them for riding or driving. And you'l spend way less than $400. So if you lose them it's no big deal to order another pair. You will need your prescription information.
Zenni Optical is so inexpensive that I bought a few extra pairs of glasses and shades just to have laying around the house, car and office.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-17-18, 07:59 AM
leob1

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
For Zenni how does one measure you pupil distance and reader transition?
There are instructions on Zenni, or you can download an app for your phone, or you can ask nicely at your local eye care office, or you can ask a Costco(if one is close by).
Old 04-17-18, 08:15 AM
leob1

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
For Zenni how does one measure you pupil distance and reader transition?
There are instructions on Zenni, or you can download an app for your phone, or you can ask nicely at your local eye care office, or you can ask a Costco(if one is close by).
Old 04-17-18, 10:24 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I use fit-over sunglasses. My go to brand is:
Dioptics Sunwear | The Official Site
I have seen more expensive from Cabela's and outdoor sports stores
Old 04-19-18, 10:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Take your prescription to Sams Club pick out a cheap frame and you can get sun glasses with your prescription for apprx $100 like I did.
Old 04-29-18, 03:45 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I want to thank GadgetGirlIL for mentioning Fitovers. I wasn't able to find anything from that brand that actually fit me, but I found a number of competitors, one of which does fit. Many years ago I tried something that hurt and distorted my vision so I gave up on the concept. The ones I got - Cocoons brand - are great.

Fitovers' online sizing tool did not work for me.

The only problem is that I keep taking off my regular glasses, putting on the Cocoons, etc.
Old 04-29-18, 04:47 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
"Inexpensive" is retaliative to how long you normally keep sunglasses.
I've tried the inserts sever times - always a bad experience. Twice the surface area to get smudged, dirty; and very hard to see when getting caught in the rain.
The also seat close to you eye, and I think that impaired the focal length for me. Nothing looked quite right.
Also - a lot of my rides either start or end in the dark - simply taking sunglasses off won't work when you need the prescription to see.

I finally splurged on a set of Oakleys with Transition lenses - fantastic clarity, and useful in any light condition, even night riding.
I've had these glasses for 5 or 6 years - only replacing the nose pads when needed.
They sell replacement rubber pieces for the temple, in case you want to change out your look.
I figure that, if dividing out the cost of the glasses over this time, this one pair of quality glasses less money than several pairs of less satisfying glasses.
Old 04-29-18, 06:07 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Quality eyeglasses are expensive. This is *not* the place to scrimp. I bought a pair of Oakleys at sportrx.com and they're excellent. Expensive, but that's due to progressive lenses with transition. Simply excellent cycling glasses.
Old 05-03-18, 05:22 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you are just getting so farsighted you can't read you bike computer think about a Padrone computer. They're really easy to read with big fonts. They range from the simple to the very expensive.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 05-06-18, 08:32 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My eyeglass prescription is expensive because bifocals are not cheap. I'm only -4.0 and I need high-index lenses or they are too heavy to stay up. I like progressive bifocals.
I got my prescription in safety glasses from Walmart (they look like Wiley-X frames) which have the side shields. I went with safety glasses because I was afraid the curvature in wrap-around sports glasses would be too much for my astignatism. I went with transition lenses so that I didn't need to deal with prescription inserts and multiple lenses. I also got the impact-resistant lens material.

Pricey, but I can see clearly and I can read my bike computer. And I have some side protection.
Old 05-16-18, 08:44 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Quality eyeglasses are expensive. This is *not* the place to scrimp. I bought a pair of Oakleys at sportrx.com and they're excellent. Expensive, but that's due to progressive lenses with transition. Simply excellent cycling glasses.
I'm looking at Oakley Flak 2.0 XL with progressive lenses so I can read my garmin. do the progressive lenses work well in t
he oakleys? and what lens color did you get? I'm thinking of going with the road prizm lenses but wondering how they would perform overall including off the bike/driving
Old 05-16-18, 09:05 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Oakleys

Originally Posted by superpletch
I'm looking at Oakley Flak 2.0 XL with progressive lenses so I can read my garmin. do the progressive lenses work well in t
he oakleys? and what lens color did you get? I'm thinking of going with the road prizm lenses but wondering how they would perform overall including off the bike/driving
I'm using the same glasses with progressive and transition lenses. They work well, but are not as good for reading as normal glasses. However, they work fine for reading the bike computer, so no issues there. Can't recall if I got the prizm lenses or not, though. Get the Oakley brand lenses. I had to send a pair back that used the cheaper lenses. The Oakley lenses are excellent. Clear from corner to corner.
Old 05-16-18, 09:48 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Most of the time, I cycle & skate w/ contact lenses and either a pair of Oakley Jawbreakers or Radarlock Path glasses (didn't pay full price for either, I purchased them for at least 40% off retail at 6pm.com), but I do I have decent eye insurance and grabbed a pair of Oakley Tinfoil Carbon glasses from one of their local authorized dealers. Since Oakley doesn't do progressive bifocals and transitions lenses in some of their glasses, I purchased the glasses as sunglasses and had their lab make the lenses for me. The frames were covered under the Oakley warranty and the lenses under the lab's warranty (both for a year). Total after insurance was $200, which is much better than the $600 that it would've cost without insurance.
Old 05-17-18, 10:25 AM
mthorste

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oakley Flak 2.0 XL

Originally Posted by superpletch
I just got this model but I got them in Transition lenses with my progressive lens prescription because I too needed to read my iPhone/Iwatch and I do a lot of night riding in Florida where bugs are an issue. I have found the tint in the Transition lens to be more than sufficient in the sunlight. I love these glasses!
Old 05-17-18, 01:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I own Oakley Flak 2.0 with prescription progressive and transition lenses. They work extremely well.

I never notice the transition changing unless I come out of a tunnel into brilliant sunshine or vice versa. They take about three seconds to adjust.

The progressives are set up with a thin portion at the bottom of the lens focused at arm's length for reading a GPS and the majority of the top of the lens focused for distance. I also paid for frosted edges.

They are dirty from riding in the rain this morning but...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.