Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does pulling a trailer make more sense for tandem bicycles?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 06:42 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

I'm slowly immersing myself into the world of tandem cycling. One of the topics I see mentioned is the use of a bicycle trailer vs racks and panniers. Does the decision to use a trailer make more sense with a tandem bicycle and if so ... why? :-)
Old 08-29-18, 09:22 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
What are your specifics? Our tandem pulls a trailer. We do not tour or camp, but we shop, boy do we shop. Last Thanksgiving Eve I am fairly certain that the load in the trailer exceeded 120lbs. and this is a single wheel trailer with a stated capacity of 70lbs. But week to week the grocery shopping never drops below the 70lb. rating of our Bob Yak. Panniers just wouldn't do well with large unwieldy items like Paper Towel 6 packs but I can always bungee one on top of the closed stuff sack of the trailer bag. For us a trailer makes sense vs panniers. For a different tandem team, panniers may be more appealing. It is not likely, however, since we already own a trailer, that we would invest in racks and panniers to participate in a multi-day tour, we would probably use the trailer. FWIW.
Old 08-29-18, 10:13 AM
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are using the airlines to get to your tour locations, then panniers are easier to pack with your coupled tandem. We went with the panniers for that reason. The pannier vs trailer debate is a lot like Ford vs Chevy, you will find passion on both sides.
Old 08-29-18, 06:03 PM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
With 2 people on one bike you obviously have half the cargo carrying capacity of 2 singles bikes so that definitely affects what you can carry, conversely a tandem is already a long bike and pulling a trailer makes it really long where maneuverability must be considered. Because of this we've done only CC touring with just rear panniers in the summer months when you don't need bulky cold weather gear or camping/cooking gear. I'm sure some minimalist can do it, but it comes down to comfort, with how much you want to carry, i.e. personal choice.
Old 08-30-18, 01:49 AM
djedgar

Bikes: Ventana ECDM, Santana Beyond, Cannondale Mtn tandem, Double Vision Recumbent, Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trailers work great for bringing the grand kids out for a ride.
Old 08-30-18, 09:06 AM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
+1 on pulling kids and grandkids around in trailers. For 3 day CC tours, we’ve gone the other direction and gotten some frame bags like the bikepackers, rather than panniers or trailer.
Old 08-30-18, 01:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
But Bike Friday tandems fit in 2 suitcases , their trailer kit stacks them ..
bring your gear in a duffel bag , and put that in the then empty suitcases as you tour..
Old 08-31-18, 10:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Friends of mine rode Seattle-Quebec on a tandem pulling a trailer. They looked into it for a long time and decided that freedom of movement on the tandem was the most important thing. Panniers make it more difficult for a team to stand and standing is already a bit more difficult on a tandem. Plus the tandem is already a bit heavy to keep upright when walking or stopping, and little extra weight on it makes it easier. They had a great tour, loved their choices. Of course most people do anyway.
Old 09-02-18, 01:20 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
The essential elements for touring are Sleeping gear: I.E. tent, sleeping bag, pad, headlight. On the bike/ off the bike clothing, footwear. Hygiene kit Tools spare tubes etc... electronics... and then there is food related stuff like the stove? and the amount of fluxuating amount of food you have at different times. Most people max out getting their gear to fit on a single. On a tandem you need to fit another sleeping bag, pad, twice the amount of on the bike/ off the bike clothing and a second hygiene kit and more food. You simply run out of room. I would suggest that you give it a try and outfit your tandem with enough gear for two (using ft/rr panniers), and see if you are able to get it all to fit. Maybe you can tour with less gear and can make it all fit? Good luck.
Old 09-02-18, 02:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
For cargo cycling I frequently overload my trailer. If only I had a second set of legs to help pull it over the hills.
Old 09-02-18, 07:19 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We had an incident years ago in France where we were descending on our loaded tandem and had a motorhome come around the corner in front of us on the wrong side of a narrow road. We already had the drum brake on hard to control our speed and when I grabbed our brakes on full the rear wheel locked and we slid sideways. I released the rear, straightened our line and tried again. Rear wheel locked again and we slid sideways and again I eased the rear brake and got the tandem straight to fit through a narrow gap between the motorhome and the rock wall at the side of the road.
If we had been towing a trailer we would have jackknifed and that would have been it for us. The only thing a trailer is good for in my opinion is for carrying to much stuff when you don't know how to pack.
Great for towing kids or a dog along the flat, doing shopping but not for touring. Panniers and bikepacking bags are much better
Old 09-03-18, 04:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
The essential elements for touring are Sleeping gear: I.E. tent, sleeping bag, pad, headlight. On the bike/ off the bike clothing, footwear. Hygiene kit Tools spare tubes etc... electronics... and then there is food related stuff like the stove? and the amount of fluxuating amount of food you have at different times. Most people max out getting their gear to fit on a single. On a tandem you need to fit another sleeping bag, pad, twice the amount of on the bike/ off the bike clothing and a second hygiene kit and more food. You simply run out of room. I would suggest that you give it a try and outfit your tandem with enough gear for two (using ft/rr panniers), and see if you are able to get it all to fit. Maybe you can tour with less gear and can make it all fit? Good luck.
We fit all our camping gear into 2 panniers and a rack top bag. Some simple suggestions: Big Agnes 3 person mesh tent, one down sleeping bag, attached to a ground sheet with Thermarest Neoair Xlite pads in it. See Seattle's Feathered Friends. This is what we use: Condor Two-Person Groundsheet Feathered Friends

The Neoairs and groundsheet roll up and go in a stuff sack. Both the bag and tent go into one compression sack on top of the rack. You won't believe how compact and light this all is. The secret is just to spend the money. The pleasure will more than repay you. Each of us gets a Xsmall compression sack for our clothes, with another one for all dirty clothes. Etc.
Old 09-04-18, 03:04 AM
Pepper Grinder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DCwom
With 2 people on one bike you obviously have half the cargo carrying capacity of 2 singles bikes so that definitely affects what you can carry, conversely a tandem is already a long bike and pulling a trailer makes it really long where maneuverability must be considered. Because of this we've done only CC touring with just rear panniers in the summer months when you don't need bulky cold weather gear or camping/cooking gear. I'm sure some minimalist can do it, but it comes down to comfort, with how much you want to carry, i.e. personal choice.
I disagree that "obviously" tandems carry half of what two singles carry. Tandems have much more space in the frame and two sets of handlebars. A few frame bags will up your cargo capacity greatly. I find myself able to do short weekend tours with rear panniers only along with a large frame bag (food and misc), a smallish frame bag (electronics, tools, and misc), a cylindrical dry bag (tent and a sleeping bag, only down will pack down small enough) on an anything-style cage, a stoker handlebar bag (cook gear), a captain handlebar bag, and various small bags strapped wherever they fit. A two-person insulated inflatable mat sits on the rack between the panniers.

I think I could easily stretch this to a week+ if I added front panniers, got rid of some luxuries, or ordered a custom frame bag to utilize space more effectively. Possibly some combo of the three.

From experience I can tell you a Klymit double mat roll-top bag easily fits a six-pack in addition to some bottles in addition to the mat. A bungee holds that down. The bike flexed a lot more than usual with that much liquid weight high on the rack not particularly well secured. Minimalism not required. Sturdy wheels definitely required.

Last edited by Pepper Grinder; 09-04-18 at 03:08 AM.