Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

N or NE Wa ride recommendations?

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 08:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I need to head out to Winthrop to pick up a set of wheels. Might as well do some riding while I'm away from home.

I was thinking I'd ride over the Loup to see the larches. I'm guessing this storm knocked most of the needles down though.

I was also thinking about going further east, and riding Sherman Pass. I haven't been beyond Tonasket in 15 years.

I have a fast gravel/road bike, and just love mountain scenery and burn scars. I've done most of the great rides in the Methow already, including Loup Loup from Twisp. Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-18, 09:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

I ride up and down Loup Loup Pass from Okanagan today. There are still golden larches. The scenery is great, and very different on the east. It's also a harder ride, another thousand feet this way, and the road is steeper in places.

Tomorrow I'm planning to ride Sherman Pass from Republic. The WSDOT camera showed snow at the pass (but a bare road) and a yellow larch. It also said 33F, even cooler than I went through today.

Looks like rain Wednesday. But I'm still open to ideas if not. Will post photos later.
Old 10-29-18, 09:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Washington Pass 10/27

Old 10-29-18, 11:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

https://www.relive.cc/view/1935054953

I started at about 800 feet, in the Okanogan Valley floor. At this elevation there are few trees except near the rivers.

It wasn't long until there were trees, and eventually larches. They were a little beyond prime, but the sun was at my back the entire ride, and the light just made them sing for the camera.

Old 10-30-18, 08:19 PM
fishgirlcycles

Bikes: Liv BeLiv 1 (2018), Mosaic GT-2 (custom, 2019), Brompton S6L (2018)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful photos! Never been to Wintrhop before--farthest I've been in north/central WA is Chelan. This might go on the travel list for next year. I'm guessing road traffic was light?
Old 10-31-18, 04:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

I did Sherman Pass yesterday, from Republic. Nice ride, pretty scenery. I didn't do as well with the camera and don't know if photos will follow or not. But it's worth doing.

Drove out on SR-21, south from Republic to Keller Ferry. Lovely road! About 50 miles, needs to be done on a bike. High on my list. It's lower ground so no snow yet.
Old 10-31-18, 04:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by fishgirlcycles
Beautiful photos! Never been to Wintrhop before--farthest I've been in north/central WA is Chelan. This might go on the travel list for next year. I'm guessing road traffic was light?
Thanks!

I should probably clarify, so you don't wind up spending $150 on gas and a hotel to be in the wrong place. The photos above are from Okanagan, which is one valley east of Winthrop. The trees are only yellow like that for a few weeks in October and are getting pretty played out by now. With all that said, Winthrop is still a fantastic destination for any cyclist (or skier).
Old 10-31-18, 05:56 PM
fishgirlcycles

Bikes: Liv BeLiv 1 (2018), Mosaic GT-2 (custom, 2019), Brompton S6L (2018)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Thanks!

I should probably clarify, so you don't wind up spending $150 on gas and a hotel to be in the wrong place. The photos above are from Okanagan, which is one valley east of Winthrop. The trees are only yellow like that for a few weeks in October and are getting pretty played out by now. With all that said, Winthrop is still a fantastic destination for any cyclist (or skier).
Good to know! Hopefully I'll be able to see both. I'm a new cyclist and at this point am in the "I want to go everywhere" phase
Old 11-05-18, 12:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I ride up and down Loup Loup Pass from Okanagan today. There are still golden larches. The scenery is great, and very different on the east. It's also a harder ride, another thousand feet this way, and the road is steeper in places.
I have only descended the east slope (twice) after leaving Winthrop, but I remember the Adventure Cycling map noting that climbing the east slope is harder, with some steeper sections than the east.

What really struck me was the temperature change. Both times it was on the chilly side going up the west slope but darn warm from Okanogan to Tonasket, where I stayed.

Last year in Yaak, MT when I was touring I met a couple in a campground. They guy told me he had a horse ranch in Tonasket. I surprised him by telling him that I camped at Shannon's café/ice cream parlor both times I was there.