Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Gloves for iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 07:11 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Gloves for iPhone

I finally retired my knackered iPhone 6 for an iPhone 8, and now it seems the Specialized gloves I was using don't work with the new Home button. Any suggestions for full-finger road/cross type gloves (I don't need a ton of padding) that work well with the "newer" iPhones?
Old 11-02-18, 07:36 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I finally retired my knackered iPhone 6 for an iPhone 8, and now it seems the Specialized gloves I was using don't work with the new Home button. Any suggestions for full-finger road/cross type gloves (I don't need a ton of padding) that work well with the "newer" iPhones?
No full finger gloves will work with the fingerprint sensor if that's what you mean. That's a problem in the alpine skiing world - some solve it by using the tip of their nose programmed as a "finger."
Old 11-02-18, 08:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Android user. I've always worn thin Merino glove liners. I've been able to use my phone with them. Not the ones with the special fingertip, any thin glove liner has worked for me.
Old 11-03-18, 08:39 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
No full finger gloves will work with the fingerprint sensor if that's what you mean. That's a problem in the alpine skiing world - some solve it by using the tip of their nose programmed as a "finger."
Yeah--I understand that. My gloves have the little texture for using touchscreens--that has always worked once the phone was on. On my iPhone 6, I could push the home button and then type in my password. On this iPhone 8, I can't click the the home button!
Never thought of the nose thing--now that I gotta try!
Old 11-03-18, 10:05 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Yeah--I understand that. My gloves have the little texture for using touchscreens--that has always worked once the phone was on. On my iPhone 6, I could push the home button and then type in my password. On this iPhone 8, I can't click the the home button!
Never thought of the nose thing--now that I gotta try!
the TouchID on your phone needs to see the skin in order to figure out what’s touching it. The “feeling” you get when you touch the button is, iirc, a haptic feedback from a haptic engine in the phone, it’s not the actual button actuating.

Try the nose thing. I have the same problem when I’m skiing. Others I ski with do it, but I never got around to it.
Old 11-03-18, 10:07 AM
Canuk1w1

Bikes: Miele Laser (Suntour Superbe Pro groupo)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Brilliant - let's start an argument whether this is a bodge or a hack? I say bodge - the grease from your nose will pfaff the sensor and screen.

OP, I've had a few gloves that allowed me to work my old iPhone 6 plus screen but they always wear out after a few months. I upgraded to an iPhone X last Christmas to get around this - primarily for skiing

Last edited by Canuk1w1; 11-03-18 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-18, 05:21 PM
pbass

Well, the good news is, I live in SoCal. So, I could easily just cut off the tip of the thumb of my worn-out but still serviceable gloves, and never have to worry about frostbite
Old 11-05-18, 12:22 AM
fishgirlcycles

Bikes: Liv BeLiv 1 (2018), Mosaic GT-2 (custom, 2019), Brompton S6L (2018)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an iphone 8 and the Pearl Izumi Escape Thermal gloves work (full finger, no padding). Had no luck with some full finger (but not cold weather) Giro gloves--couldn't press the home button or anything else despite the "smart touch" fingertip.
Old 11-06-18, 02:05 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I have an iPhone 8 and use full fingered gloves in the cold. It will work, you just need to press the home button it a few times until you get the passcode screen.