Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Off road I phone navigation apps.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 02:07 PM
Dksucharda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering if any of you have used particular I-phone apps for navigation. The basic apple maps or especially the google maps navigation works well for normal, well traveled bike routs. on the computer google maps even shows a lot of dirt roads although I have not tried it on my i phone I suspect it would be there as well. But there are a lot of trails in the national forest or BLM land that I can see on paper maps that aren't on google maps. Are any of you aware of a app with navigation that readily show these more obscure trails. It would be really nice if it had a drag function that allowed us to create the ride we were interested in showing distance and elevation gain. May not exist, but let me know what you may have used. Thanks.
Old 12-18-18, 02:21 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Map my ride, ride with gps, open street. All have info. I still carry paper maps, they always work out of cell range.
Old 12-18-18, 07:39 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Dksucharda
Just wondering if any of you have used particular I-phone apps for navigation. The basic apple maps or especially the google maps navigation works well for normal, well traveled bike routs. on the computer google maps even shows a lot of dirt roads although I have not tried it on my i phone I suspect it would be there as well. But there are a lot of trails in the national forest or BLM land that I can see on paper maps that aren't on google maps. Are any of you aware of a app with navigation that readily show these more obscure trails. It would be really nice if it had a drag function that allowed us to create the ride we were interested in showing distance and elevation gain. May not exist, but let me know what you may have used. Thanks.
If you're somewhat handy at moving mapping data around.. Caltopo.com has lots of base maps and overlays that allow you to build up some very powerful maps. You can build routes there also. Extract a *.kml file from Caltopo and email it to yourself, then open the kml with the Maps.Me app (offline maps). on your phone You can build a library of maps in Maps.Me and your phone gps will display your position on the maps. Caltopo has many base map & overlay combinations that should have many of the dirt roads/trails you're looking for, elevation also. I haven't tried it, but I'd guess you could extract a gpx file from Caltopo and import it into Ride With GPS..they have good elevation plot functionality.