Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rails to Trails database

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rails to Trails database

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 04:19 PM
halfmile

Bikes: '76 ROMIC Touring Pro 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rails to Trails database

Looking for a database of Rails to Trails that list distance ....
Old 12-18-18, 04:25 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by halfmile
Check the thread on this forum- " Trail systems".
My post has a link to the Rails to Trails site. Or just do a search.
Old 12-18-18, 04:37 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Would be nice to have. The data exists in pieces (wiki rail trails USA) is a good, comprehensive list, but distance isn't listed in an easy format..it would have to be looked up for each trail.

Someone in the conservancy has this data (guaranteed) on an excel sheet with name, distance, surface, etc.. characteristics listed. Maybe send them an email and see if they'd share it.

edit..I just sent them an email requesting their spreadsheet, or spreadsheet extract from the database they use.

Last edited by fishboat; 12-18-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 04:50 PM
halfmile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trail database

Originally Posted by fishboat
Would be nice to have. The data exists in pieces (wiki rail trails USA) is a good, comprehensive list, but distance isn't listed in an easy format..it would have to be looked up for each trail.

Someone in the conservancy has this data (guaranteed) on an excel sheet with name, distance, surface, etc.. characteristics listed. Maybe send them an email and see if they'd share it.
I think that is about the best way, since I am a member, will start there and see what develops.....one idea I am looking into is to combine Amtrak Service to the longer trails....The katy trail in Mo, has service all along the trail so, that got me to looking into what other trails might be aa good hookup with Amtrak
Old 12-18-18, 04:55 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

I think that is about the best way, since I am a member, will start there and see what develops.....one idea I am looking into is to combine Amtrak Service to the longer trails....The katy trail in Mo, has service all along the trail so, that got me to looking into what other trails might be aa good hookup with Amtrak
I'm a member too..long term. I sent them an email. The Amtrak option would be a great field to add into the spreadsheet, if it exists. I'd guess they use a formal database rather than excel, but most d-bases can do extracts into a spreadsheet.
Old 12-18-18, 05:09 PM
halfmile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a work around that is interesting: Ride with gps has a search function and just imput a Amtrak station and set the RWGPS site search to starts within say 10 miles and use "Rails to Trails" in the search for...a little work but quickly will build a list in you rides tab
Old 12-18-18, 07:22 PM
fishboat

I found a work around that is interesting: Ride with gps has a search function and just imput a Amtrak station and set the RWGPS site search to starts within say 10 miles and use "Rails to Trails" in the search for...a little work but quickly will build a list in you rides tab
That's a good angle. I did some mapping for a living at one point. I was just looking around for the GIS shape-files of rail trails..not to be found. The conservancy would have them (basis of their traillink maps), but they would never offer those up..too valuable to let loose on the web. If I had the shape files I could locate amtrak towns, assign lat-lons to them, match them to the shape files on a map and..poof..a map-based reference to answer your question. I see the traillink site offers the gpx files-trail download for $29 a year. Those may work, depending on how complete the gpx files are.
Old 12-18-18, 10:51 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Some trails link to others. So it's hard to rank by distance. For instance, Xenia OH is a hub with 5 different spoke trails, which then connect to even more trails. And still more trails with a short road connection.

Google Maps Bicycle map for browsing
Xenia OH as an example: google map link.

I pick an area, then use the "Bicycling" setting on google maps to see bike routes. Dark green are trails -- either paved or crushed stone. They won't show until you zoom to about the "10 mile" zoom, displaying maybe 100-200 miles wide areas at a time. Zoom way in to see the path name repeated down the green line.

(The dashed lines aren't defined and seem to be new. Some trails show dashes where it's no different from the rest of the trail nearby. )

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-18-18 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 12:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I think we just did this, didn't we?

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...l-systems.html

Old 12-19-18, 05:56 AM
fishboat

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Google Maps Bicycle map for browsing
Xenia OH as an example: google map link.

I pick an area, then use the "Bicycling" setting on google maps to see bike routes. Dark green are trails -- either paved or crushed stone. They won't show until you zoom to about the "10 mile" zoom, displaying maybe 100-200 miles wide areas at a time. Zoom way in to see the path name repeated down the green line.

(The dashed lines aren't defined and seem to be new. Some trails show dashes where it's no different from the rest of the trail nearby. )
Per the R2T website, it appears, as of 2010, much..most..all? the bicycling data you/we are seeing on google comes from R2T. I tried to find a way to extract this data from various forms of google maps output..not available, from what I see so far. It would be nice if the trails were visible on google maps when you zoom out father, much like Traillink does now.
Old 12-19-18, 09:41 AM
halfmile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bingo....found a complete list on the Rails to Trails Trail link site... list total trail length and Rails 2 Trails length It is a PDF file with trails by State ...look on the resourse tab ...lots of great info there to explore besides the trails list....WOW
Old 12-19-18, 09:47 AM
halfmile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 12-19-18, 09:49 AM
halfmile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The resourse tab is located on the contact us page....man, they sure need to work on the website....but tons of neat info there.
Old 12-19-18, 12:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
dunno if this is exactly what you are looking for but I've used this site to find trails near me. paved & unpaved

https://www.traillink.com/
Old 12-19-18, 01:30 PM
halfmile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks rumrunn6, just did a bit more searching on the trail link site and found a great resource....did a search by the tabs EXPLORE TRAILS then BY MAP and there is a feature to FILTER the maps and thus a great resource
Old 12-19-18, 02:36 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
just did a bit more searching on the trail link site and found a great resource....did a search by the tabs EXPLORE TRAILS then BY MAP and there is a feature to FILTER the maps and thus a great resource
wow, impressive! how/why would one use that feature/technique? maybe you can help me find trails more efficiently ...
Old 12-19-18, 02:42 PM
fishboat

Bingo....found a complete list on the Rails to Trails Trail link site... list total trail length and Rails 2 Trails length It is a PDF file with trails by State ...look on the resourse tab ...lots of great info there to explore besides the trails list....WOW
Looks nice..it's a start...but

I looked at Wisconsin as I'm most familiar with trails in the state. They're missing a number of the major WI trails..White River Trail, Eisenbahn, Badger, "The 400", Great River Trail, the first rail trail (I think) the Sparta-Elroy, and another 4-5 major trails farther up north. All of these are 20 miles+. The 4-Trails Tour is a no-gap combination of the Great River Trail, La Crosse River Trail, Sparta-Elroy, & The 400, 101 miles combined. No idea why there's so many missing trails listed. All of these trails are on the Traillink site.
Old 12-19-18, 03:04 PM
fishboat

I received a reply to the R2T email I sent yesterday. The R2T Research Director replied and indicated a spreadsheet with trails, lengths, cities, along with additional info is proprietary info and they don't share it. Understandable.

I asked him/her why so many of Wisconsin's major trails are missing from the PDF file mentioned above. I expect I hear from him/her before long.

Edit: oops..my mistake. The PDF file mentioned above refers to rails WITH trails, not all rail trails themselves. This explains why the WI trails are missing..they don't meet the criteria of (I assume) traveling right next to an active rail road track. However..many of the WI trails I mention above are within a few miles of Amtrak's Empire Builder passenger train, so the rail WITH trail list is lacking relative to the OP original question.

Also..The Director sent the following link..looks like a good read:
https://www.railstotrails.org/resour...s-with-trails/

Last edited by fishboat; 12-19-18 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 03:18 PM
halfmile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The RWGPS has tons of trails/rides etc ....these two resources will keep my bucket list full for a very long time. Also, here is a link to Amtrak trains that allow bikes....https://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard
Old 12-19-18, 03:27 PM
halfmile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey fishboat, check the filter on the Trails Link site...found your missing trails ...FYI: there is 190 trails shown on the map....hope this helps....https://www.traillink.com/trail-maps/400-state-trail/

Last edited by halfmile; 12-19-18 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-19-18, 03:33 PM
halfmile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ooops my bad fishboat....sorry, not sure why the list that I referenced does not include all the trails....sorry I misunderstood your post
Old 12-19-18, 11:00 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The MTB Project app from REI is a good resource for trails. Doesn’t do what the OP is looking for, but I’ve found many trails that I never knew existed with the app. Just thought I would add it to this discussion.
Old 12-20-18, 01:54 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Does what you've found include Australia, Japan, South Korea, Canada and Europe?

Those are the places I'm interested in touring.