Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dual pivot vs V brake

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dual pivot vs V brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 07:54 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Dual pivot vs V brake

While there is a lot of talk on rim vs disc brake, how about let's talk about dual pivot caliper brake vs v brake?

I have had much more experience with v brake than c brake but some obsevation of the pros and cons of each with regards to assembly/maintenance/touring concerns:

V brake pros
Clearance for big tires

V brake cons
Two mounting bolts
Two spring tension bolts
More parts to assemble overall
Bulky, with booster even more bulky

C brake pros
One mounting bolt
No spring adjustment
Self contained unit*
Compact

C brake cons
Need longer reach for bigger tires, more flex

*This is the biggest draw for me, it is much easier and faster to mount and adjust c brake than v brake. One mounting bolt and one cable clamp bolt to tighten. Switching out whole brake units (say for different wheel sizes) is a breeze. Adjusting pad clearance can be done just by rotatin the unit by hand.

V brakes you are pretty much stuck with one wheel size, unless you like going through setting it up every time you switchz

For touring/jack of all trades/swiss army knife set up i am thinking of a vintage 26" steel rigid mtb frame using c brakes:

Default set up is 26" wheels with 2.0+ tires, long reach calipers.
City set up is 26" wheels with 1.25-1.5 tires, medium reach calipers with drop bolt.
Alternative set up is 700c wheels with skinny tires, short/medium reach calipers.
Old 12-28-18, 12:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

OK you Ordering a frame?

a V Brake requires the frame have posts on it .. a bit below the rim radius Cantilever posts use same ones,
before V brakes came to market..

dual pivot, bolt on above the wheel and has a reach factor proportional to tire width..
Do you have a specific product in mind? what is it?

My winter default bike got wheels on drum brake hubs.. Its Ice on the ground ready ..

but you don't have winter.. why the need for this killing time til spring thread?, (although though us in the north welcome the distraction.. )

Vintage MTB used Cantilever or U brakes A heavy duty centerpull...... (that is what my SA drum brake hubs are on ..

My other 26" bike has German Magura Hydraulic Rim brakes , they mount on standard V brake posts ..

they have been trouble free foe 10 years..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-28-18 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 01:37 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to use a bike with dual pivots, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to buy one. Fitting limited tire width would be my biggest concern. Plus the bosses for V-brakes are nice for attaching a small platform rack.
Old 12-28-18, 01:49 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw

V brake cons
Two mounting bolts
Two spring tension bolts
More parts to assemble overall
Bulky, with booster even more bulky
I just don't see these as cons. V-brakes are pretty easy to set up. What is a con, IMO, is that most v-brakes require long pull levers, limiting your choice of drop bar levers. (Short arm v-brakes can use "normal" drop bar levers, but limit tire/fender size.)
Old 12-28-18, 02:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
A few comments-With a Travel Agent long arm V brakes work with short cable pull levers. The longer the brake reach of a caliper (either single or dual pivot) the lessening of mechanical advantage there is as the cable arm side of the caliper doesn't grow in proportion. Fewer parts can wear and grow bad so part count isn't always a direct factor to life span. Wanting a simple install might suggest a simple later maintenance approach... V (and Canti) brakes are more forgiving to way out of true wheels. I see very few booster plates on V brakes these days, this pretty much went by the wayside 20 +years ago. I see a lack of a spring adjustment as a demerit, not a plus. (Even though most all dp calipers I have worked on don't {Campy excepted**). I do find that mating a rear rack with some rear brake (V or DP caliper) can be a pain) so compactness is a relative issue dependent on other parts sometimes. Andy
Old 12-28-18, 04:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
What's the question ?.

Seems you answered it all. Biggest things is V brakes allow wider tires, dual pivot are a bit easier to get setup. Not that if the frame allows it, you can use 57mm long reach dual pivots which allow a tire up to 32mm or so.

Use of one or the other is driven by frame design, expected usage and what the brake lever is you are using. Typically if you are talking about loaded self supported touring, you are likely on a bike with beefier tubing, longer wheelbase, setup for disc or canti/V, where as a bike that would be using dual pivot is not generally a bike designed for self supported, fully loaded touring.

Not sure about you but I pretty much install the brakes and then leave them alone, so ease of setup of V vs. DP is kind of a wash. Even when I swap cables, I don't have to redo V brake pad toe-in or alignment. I also use cartridge pads so that's easy as well.
Old 01-02-19, 07:49 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Your frame, shifter/brake lever combo and or tire selection will likely make the choice for you. V's braking capability is more than adequate and would be my choice if possible (greater tire tolerances)