Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone use the Wolftooth B-Rad system to multiply bottle capacity?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 08:07 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts

Just looking for a report on whether people on the forum have used this and how it worked. On my 1985 Trek 720, in addition to the seat tube and the inside of the downtube, there are bottle cage bosses on the wheel side of the downtube. I would like to make use of the last, but a full size water bottle sit a bit high, even having switched from 27" to 700C wheels. I would use the B-Rad system to drop the cage by a couple inches, which would give enough clearance for a bottle. I'm also considering using their 2 bottle adapter on both sides of the downtube, which would allow me to carry 5 bottles for this summer's tour.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...cessory-device

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...e-cage-adapter

Last edited by revcp; 01-02-19 at 09:42 AM. Reason: pasted in urls
Old 01-02-19, 11:22 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Yes, I am using it currently and it works quite well. I have had two PDW Lucky Cat cages on my road bike for almost a year now and no real issues. Occasionally I get a touch of foot rub but that is not a fault of the system but me having to run those two cages lower then needed to clear a frame bag.

Pretty much everything from WTC I have used is of great quality and will happily continue using their stuff till they stop making it or if the quality ever goes down.
Old 01-02-19, 12:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
For the single cage, about a half decade ago I used a short piece of steel bar stock with a few holes drilled in it to lower the below-downtube water bottle cage on a LHT I used to have. That gave me more room for a larger bottle. I was unaware that there was such an adapter available. I also used a piece of double sided velcro to make sure that the bottle did not slip out of place.

In the photo, the bar stock that I added is a bit hard to see, it is directly behind the rear derailleur cable which confuses the photo.

Old 01-02-19, 02:19 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Just looking for..
There are several ways to carry water on a bike. Those B-rad devices definitely look like a solution.

Another option is to use a drill & bit, rivnut (rivet-nut) rivnut tool to add a bottle cage boss higher or lower on the frame tube located the correct distance from existing boss. Cannondale (and other aluminum) bikes used Al rivnuts for bottle bosses for many years. Rivnuts and tool are sold as kit and individually. Bottle bosses typically are brazed on steel frames, but steel rivnut could work too. I suggest using same material rivnut to avoid "dissimilar metal" / galvanic corrosion.

Backpacking-style hydration bladders work too (carried in bag or on rack) for storing and/or dispensing water, several are fitting-compatible with popular water filters, and some convert to showers:

https://www.rei.com/c/hydration-reservoirs

https://www.ortlieb.com/us/water-sack

There's a few oversize bottle cages available which permit carry of large bottles inside main triangle such as Topeak, Minoura and BBB, most now discontinued. There are likely other providers of odd-sized cages of which I am unfamiliar given the proliferation of bike forks with multiple bosses for fitting of such devices. Water can be carried on forks of these bikes, such as newer Surly Troll, Ogre, Bridge Club, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Modula.../dp/B000FIE51M

https://www.minoura.jp/english/accessory/accessory.html

https://salsacycles.com/components/c.../anything_cage
Old 01-02-19, 02:25 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes, I am using it currently and it works quite well. I have had two PDW Lucky Cat cages on my road bike for almost a year now and no real issues. Occasionally I get a touch of foot rub but that is not a fault of the system but me having to run those two cages lower then needed to clear a frame bag.

Pretty much everything from WTC I have used is of great quality and will happily continue using their stuff till they stop making it or if the quality ever goes down.
Thanks. This is helpful.
Old 01-02-19, 08:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Thanks. This is helpful.
No worries happy to help. I can also highly recommend their chainring bolts, they come in colors and are dual hex so no need for a chainring nut spanner which is a horrible tool that I would love to do away with. Of course on a triple you might not be able to use them quite the same but you can use them as outer bolts if nothing else. Save the nuts for something else.
Old 01-02-19, 08:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
B-RAD 4, Double Barrel adapter, accessory mount (for saddlebag, since replaced with Wolftooth Roll-Top bag,) two Arundel side-loaders. Only on the bike about 4 months out of the year, but man is it worth it. Usually enough for at least 3 hours on +100º days.

Old 01-02-19, 10:20 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have a compact frame and my 25oz Podium Chill was too tall in the seat tube cage so I used the b-rad adapter to lower it. Works great and hasn’t had any issues whatsoever. Seems a little pricey for as simple as it is, but it certainly was the most elegant and easy solution. For carrying more than two bottles (or more than one on the MTB) I got a Minoura behind the saddle double cage mount but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

After and Before pic:

Last edited by Mitkraft; 01-02-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 06:44 AM
revcp 

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
B-RAD 4, Double Barrel adapter, accessory mount (for saddlebag, since replaced with Wolftooth Roll-Top bag,) two Arundel side-loaders. Only on the bike about 4 months out of the year, but man is it worth it. Usually enough for at least 3 hours on +100º days.

Thank you.
Old 01-03-19, 06:45 AM
revcp 

Originally Posted by Mitkraft
I have a compact frame and my 25oz Podium Chill was too tall in the seat tube cage so I used the b-rad adapter to lower it. Works great and hasn’t had any issues whatsoever. Seems a little pricey for as simple as it is, but it certainly was the most elegant and easy solution. For carrying more than two bottles (or more than one on the MTB) I got a Minoura behind the saddle double cage mount but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

After and Before pic:

Looks good. Thanks.
Old 01-03-19, 06:50 AM
revcp 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
My 2 Built in person,* touring bikes, I had put 2 bottles on top of the top tube , 1 under it, + 1 on the seat tube, so I had 4..

one under was usually having stove petrol in it..

*as opposed to just buying a factory bike , I put in work in building the frame..

Good for you, although I was asking about an attachment for a bike, not about a bike for attachments.
Old 01-03-19, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
And So, why not try it yourself, now..?? it will be 2 bottles wide, of course ..
Old 01-03-19, 10:40 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I have a couple of these on my MTB conversion to allow 2 * XL bottle cages within the triangle.
https://mountskidmore.com.au/shop/ad...-cage-adapter/

Simple idea, very effective.
Old 01-03-19, 11:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Or use one liter sized bottles. The one liter sized Smartwater brand bottles fit regular cages, some other brands do too. The smaller Smartwater bottles do NOT fit.

Sorry the photo is somewhat dark.

Old 01-03-19, 11:15 AM
revcp 

To clarify

There are many ways of carrying additional water, from using bladders strapped to the back to purchasing one of many ingenious products to rigging imaginative DIYs to building up a frame bristling with braze ons. As indicated in the OP, I'm interested in hearing from folk who make use of the Wolftooth items.
Old 01-03-19, 11:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Bikepacking widget Do you use a Bike packing bag system?
Old 01-03-19, 11:58 AM
revcp 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
A Bikepacking widget Do you use a Bike packing bag system?
For my fatbike, yes, but not for my touring bike. One of the widgets would allow me to move the cage location down on the underside of the down tube. At present it is high enough that a large bottle rubs the tire (my 1985 Trek 720 was manufactured before the advent of the larger bottles). The second widget would allow for two cages in place of one. A similar arrangement on the inside of the down tube would also double bottle capacity.
Old 01-08-19, 05:28 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
If you have room for them in your frame, the 1 liter sized Zefal "Magnum" water bottles are great for touring and fit snugly in any standard cage. I've used them for years. The large Camelbak-style insulated bottles are nice, too, but don't hold as much water relative to their size as the Zefals. They are a bit shorter, though, so may fit where a big Zefal does not (see photo below from my GAP trip this past summer with both types of bottles).

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Magnum.../dp/B01D0KZ7I6

Old 01-09-19, 05:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

Just curious, do you have leg-rub/strike on the bottles with that setup? Just wondering how wide they splay out IRL. No issues with dumping bottles with side-loaders I take it?
Old 01-09-19, 07:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
When standing, I will occasionally graze the inside of my calf on the very bottom of the bottles. Impossible to hit 'em when seated, as far as I can tell.

The Arundel side-loaders are pretty grabby. I can't say a bottle coming out would be impossible, but I've never had mine budge.