Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

eTap problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

eTap problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 10:24 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
eTap problems

I’m onto my third eTap WiFli rear derailleur and it’s now having problems with intermittent dropouts or not changing gear. It was perfect for about a week and now sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Even with freshly charged batteries. Anyone else having issues?
Old 11-12-20, 10:59 AM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
geoffs I was searching to see if the issues with etap had been acknowledged or addressed in any way. I wrote a thread about it myself in 2018 here https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ink-again.html

I'm looking at my next bike and love etap but only when it works obviously, so unless the problem has been addressed and solved I will go with Di2.

If you see this, can you update this thread? Or anyone else, for that matter.
Old 11-13-20, 09:46 AM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
There were a few threads about the rear etap derailleur “sleeping” (not responding for a while) a few years back. It happened to me and in my experience it was limited to WiFli RD’s only. SRAM was good about replacing them but eventually I solved the problem by putting a longer cage on a regular etap RD. I haven’t heard about the issue for quite some time and AFAIK it was never resolved.
Old 11-13-20, 06:48 PM
BNB

mine is/was wifli too. I need the lowest possible gears I can get with e-shifting. would like to know if/how it was resolved. so sram allowed you to swap wifli with their regular derailleur? better than more failures.
Old 11-13-20, 08:37 PM
77Eric

BNB - no... what happened was I had a regular etap RD and purchased a WiFli RD when they came out. I ended up getting it replaced once or twice but still had the problem so I put the longer cage (Chinese w/big pulley) on the regular RD and that has worked well ever since (w/WiFli gearing). I never asked SRAM to swap WiFli for regular so I can’t speak to that and I have a lightly used WiFli RD sitting in storage...
Old 11-13-20, 08:55 PM
BNB

that's one expensive derailleur in storage. my 1st wifli has worked flawlessly. the second one I bought for another bike failed twice, so I'm on the third for that bike rarely used so can't say if/when it will fail. So, I suppose that wifli is also effectively in storage. Sram tried to blame me for the failures; problem for them was I could switch the two on and off the bikes and the original one I bought still did not fail. Seems like by now they would know what the problem is/was and admit it. It's all over the internet, not just this forum. My setup on both bikes is wifli plus wolftooth roadlink. curious about your setup, specifically ?? do you have a picture?
Old 11-13-20, 10:28 PM
77Eric

50x32

34x11
Old 11-14-20, 07:24 AM
BNB

Interesting setup. Beyond pay grade for this diy-er. Thanks for sending.
Old 11-14-20, 09:15 AM
77Eric

Expensive? I think it was around $170 from Digirit and I only have one bike to maintain so I don’t think that’s too bad. Don’t confuse the pricing with the CeramicSpeed stuff - that IS expensive!

Now I’m curious about your rig, though. You’re running the wolf tooth roadlink AND a WiFli RD? What gears are you running? Got a pic or two?
Old 11-14-20, 02:33 PM
BNB

I was actually joking that I don't think I would be capable to do this, though I really have no idea what exactly is involved. Not so much the cost of it.

The first wifli /roadlink went on our tandem that had a triple. The second wifli/roadlink went on my gravel bike. Both are in CA so no pics. On both bikes I'm running the lowest gearing possible given the chain capacity which is not much help; I just don't remember even though I built up both bikes. We are able to climb pretty well on the tandem, so it's low enough though not as low as the triple.

Right now I'm in New Hampshire riding my "budget" gravel bike where I swapped out claris cheap groupset and put on 105 triple (formerly on the tandem). The shifting sucks and I miss the flawless electronic shifting. Except when the wifli RD wouldn't shift at all. I do need very low gearing here, especially as 1. I'm old and 2. relentless steep mountainous climbing

I'll google digirit to see what's up with that. I've never seen it before.

update: just found it. wow! very cool.

Originally Posted by 77Eric
Expensive? I think it was around $170 from Digirit and I only have one bike to maintain so I don’t think that’s too bad. Don’t confuse the pricing with the CeramicSpeed stuff - that IS expensive!

Now I’m curious about your rig, though. You’re running the wolf tooth roadlink AND a WiFli RD? What gears are you running? Got a pic or two?

Last edited by BNB; 11-14-20 at 02:40 PM.