Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

eTap rear derailleur problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 01:43 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Just wondering if anyone is having issues with eTap. I have it installed on 3 bikes, one of which has never had a single issue. On my road bike and on the tandem it seem to work fine for a while, then start stopping on cassette cog 6 for 10 seconds, then longer until I have to get off the bike and push the button on the rear derailleur. Battery charge doesn't seem to matter as it can still happen on a freshly charged battery. Batteries on the Levers are ok. I am now up to replacement deraillier no5 I think. Works great when It's working and the shifting has never been so good on the tandem. Cassettes are 11-32 on the road bike and 11-42 with a Wolftooth roadlink on the tandem. Any ideas or suggestions? SRAM just keep on sending me new rear derailleurs but I just want it to work. Going to Italy in 6 weeks with the tandem for a 7 week tour and don't want any problems when we're away
Old 03-25-19, 10:05 AM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
There have been various discussions here about the problem and AFAIK there is no solution other than replacing the derailleur. I’ve had the problem with wifli but not with my standard RD so I’m going to a roadlink w/standard RD. I’m not sure if the problem is wifli-specific or not. The problem has been known long enough that you’d think/hope SRAM would have dealt with it somehow by now...
Old 03-27-19, 05:38 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 77Eric
There have been various discussions here about the problem and AFAIK there is no solution other than replacing the derailleur. I’ve had the problem with wifli but not with my standard RD so I’m going to a roadlink w/standard RD. I’m not sure if the problem is wifli-specific or not. The problem has been known long enough that you’d think/hope SRAM would have dealt with it somehow by now...
You'd think so but here in Australia I'm only aware of a few people having problems. I'm testing 2 of the new rear derailleurs Sram just sent me. I'll only get to put about 1000 kms on each before we go and would have like to have more kms on them to make sure.
If you have a standard eTap rear derailleur if you buy one of these https://www.digirit.com/pulley-sram it will convert it to the WiFli length cage and it will also improve chainwrap. Really easy to install, you just need a T7 Torx screwdriver and it only takes a few minutes. Don't use a T6 as it's to loose a fit
Old 03-28-19, 11:20 AM
Big R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Known problem...SRAM should warranty the derailleur with minimal fuss.
Old 04-09-19, 07:26 PM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Geoffs - thanks for the tip on the digirit pulleys! I was not aware of them but got the alloy 11-16 set (cheapest). I put it on my standard etap RD and now I can use my 11-32 cassette without slack in small-small and safe in big-big. Did 60 miles on it today and it performed beautifully. No more “sleepy” etap RD for me...