Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

27 mm tubes in 25mm tire / 25mm 28 mm riding difference?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 07:11 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I have been riding on 28mm tires for a long time now. I used to have just one bike that was my road / touring bike so I used 28mm tires to get a happy medium. Now I have a dedicated touring bike so I am looking at going down a notch to 25mm tires.

The problem is I have a crap load of 27mm tubes. I have put smaller tubes in larger tires. In fat I prefer to go a si\ze down on tubes. But I have never put a larger tube in a smaller tire. Has anyone done this without issue?

Like I mentioned it is a long time since I have been riding on 25mm tires. Can't remember what it was like. Is there a huge difference between that and the 28s? Maybe I should just stick with 28?
Old 05-02-19, 09:28 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I don't see a major problem with putting a tube slightly larger than the tire size. You might have a little trouble stuffing the tube in the tire and getting the tire on the rim, but once the bead seats, you should be good to go.

I suppose if the particular tire you're using has really tight interior dimensions (not all 25mm tires are created equally) there is a small possibility that you could get a wrinkle or two which might make the tire a bit 'whoppy. ' I don't see this as very likely and you would notice it right away as soon as the tube was inflated.
Old 05-03-19, 05:58 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
I ride both 25 and 28mm tires on different bikes. I much prefer the ride quality of the 28mm tires. As for performance, the only time I notice a real difference is when sprinting, and I do very little of it anymore. My experience has been that they are easier to ride on rough pavement, and when in groups I am able to motor through rough stuff faster than the others on 25mm tires as I don't worry at all about pinch flats.

If you want a snappier feel to the bike 25mm tires are the ticket.
Old 05-03-19, 06:18 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I have been riding on 28mm tires for a long time now. I used to have just one bike that was my road / touring bike so I used 28mm tires to get a happy medium. Now I have a dedicated touring bike so I am looking at going down a notch to 25mm tires.

The problem is I have a crap load of 27mm tubes. I have put smaller tubes in larger tires. In fat I prefer to go a si\ze down on tubes. But I have never put a larger tube in a smaller tire. Has anyone done this without issue?

Like I mentioned it is a long time since I have been riding on 25mm tires. Can't remember what it was like. Is there a huge difference between that and the 28s? Maybe I should just stick with 28?
As stated above, the tube question is probably a non-issue. Shouldn't make any difference, being that close.
As to the tire question, it depends on the type of riding you do. If you're a racer/serious trainer, you'll probably prefer the thinner,lighter 25's, but if you're a regular recreational/exercise rider, those wider tires are really nice (as I've just recently discovered).
I used to race, and always ran thinner,faster tires, even for training, but in recent years, I ride a slower,steadier pace, just for fun and exercise, so i went with some wider Continentals I scored super-cheap last year at Nashbar, and I love the things. They ride so much more comfortably, and fewer worries about sliding out from under me on wet pavement. Also, it seems to be easier to find deals on these wider tires. The 25's seem to be the rage, and therefore more expensive, but in the 30+ range, deals seem easier to find.

Last edited by Brocephus; 05-05-19 at 07:27 PM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 05-03-19, 07:43 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
I am using 35 mm tubes in 32 mm tires with no issues. I inflate the tube just a bit before mounting and I think that makes it easier to place it in the tire with no wrinkles or twist, and mounting it on the rim. I Use both 25, and 28s, and the 28s definitely have a cushier ride. I think not much other difference other than maybe initial acceleration.