Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Difference of tire

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Difference of tire

Old 05-10-19, 07:59 AM
Wenmtuz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Difference of tire

Hey guys, my rear tire been worn off but I only got one spare one left for now. Was planning get new tire few more months. My question is, is there any difference when I use better tire on rear or front?
Old 05-10-19, 08:07 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Conventional wisdom is to put the new tire on the front and rotate the other to the back. That’s because a front flat is potentially much worse at speed.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-10-19, 08:18 AM
Wenmtuz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
Conventional wisdom is to put the new tire on the front and rotate the other to the back. That’s because a front flat is potentially much worse at speed.
Thanks man. I'll get the new tire on my front wheel. By the way which one is better for commute ride, continental grand sport race or ultra sport II?
Old 05-10-19, 10:34 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Continentals (I'm more of a Michelin guy), but the Grand Sport Race get good reviews on the websites as solid all around training/commuting tires. I wonder if a Conti fan might chime in.
Old 05-10-19, 10:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Over time, if you ride with a better tire in the rear, the wheelbase of your bike will shorten due to the rear going a bit faster and putting pressure toward the front. Riding with the better tire in the front will do the opposite of course. ymmv
Old 05-10-19, 01:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Both tires are older tech, I think the Ultra Sports are the older of the two techs. Might be wrong though as Continental's aren't my tire of choice right now. The two models share the same TPI of 180 in the tire casing which can be an indicator of whether one is faster than the other when all other things are the same. However these aren't the same in all other respects and the Grand Sport Race would be my choice of the two.